Thread: The jewplin Tornado of May 22, 2011

Default Area residents among those awakened by 5.6 magnitude Oklahoma quake

Area residents among those awakened by 5.6 magnitude Oklahoma quake

5.6 magnitude tremor centered 8 miles west of Pawnee

BY ARIEL COOLEY acooley@joplinglobe.com
    Page 7A Sunday Sept 4, 2016

http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...5146#post15146
    http://christian-identity.net/forum/...5146#post15146

Residents throughout the region were shaken awake early Saturday by an earthquake in northern Oklahoma.

The 5.6 magnitude earthquake — matching the strongest quake to ever hit the state — occurred at 7 a.m. and was centered 8 miles west of Pawnee according to the United States Geological Survey.

Debi Brown Downs, of Joplin, was one shaken by the temblor.

“My bed was bouncing,” Downs said. “What was strange was it wasn’t back and forth. The windows didn’t rattle or pictures shake, but my bed went up and down as the foundation went up and down.”

Downs said she initially thought it was just her dog under her bed.

“Even after I got up, I thought how weird that was and I was losing my senses,” she said.

It wasn’t until she saw the news on Facebook that she realized she had just experienced an earthquake.

Downs said she has only experienced two earthquakes and both have been in the past five years.

The 5.6 magnitude earthquake equaled in strength the other largest earthquake in recent history, which was recorded near Prague, Oklahoma, in November 2011.

The shaking could be felt across seven states, according to the USGS.

Pawnee received “moderate to mild damage,” according to Mark Randell, Emergency Management Director in Pawnee County. “There’s no severe damage at this time,” he added. “We have ongoing damage assessment with the state.”

There are currently three buildings with moderate damage, he said, as well as several others with minor damage where access has been blocked until a structural engineer can determine whether or not they are safe.

Rickie Bowerman, of Carthage, thought Saturday’s earthquake was “very mild.” Growing up in California, he said he has experienced much worse.

He was alerted to a disruption when his wife’s service dog began barking.

“I thought he was letting me know it was something wrong with my wife, then I felt the house shake a little,” Bowerman said. “It wasn’t like I’m used to in California. It wasn’t even enough to wake my wife up, but it did scare our dogs.”

Bowerman lived in California for 31 years and said some of the earthquakes he witnessed were “violent enough to literally knock you out of bed or cause you to fall if you were walking.”

If he hadn’t already been awake, Bowerman thinks he would have slept right through the earthquake.

All the shit unfit to print

http://www.joplinglobe.com

Default Residents begin surveying damage as tornadoes confirmed near Wheaton, Purdy, Miller

Residents begin surveying damage as tornadoes confirmed near Wheaton, Purdy, Miller

By Emily Younker eyounker@joplinglobe.com
    May 1, 2019

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/loc...ea2a52363.html
    http://christian-identity.net/forum/...9672#post19672
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...9672#post19672

WHEATON, Mo. — Bob Hughes should have spent Wednesday morning reviewing a new $75,000 addition to his business, Southwest Auction Service, on the outskirts of Wheaton. It was to have been the final walk-through before he made his last payment on the project.

Instead, he spent the morning fielding phone calls and visits from concerned friends, family members, neighbors and volunteers who sought to help him clean up after his property was struck one day earlier by a tornado, which left a trail of debris in its wake.

"We've just got great people around us," he said while standing amid the rubble on his 80 acres. "If you live in Southwest Missouri, you're family. We're resilient."

Damage at the Hughes property, on which there were several structures, was among that listed in communities across the area after a string of tornadoes moved through on Tuesday.

From Tuesday afternoon into the overnight hours, the National Weather Service station in Springfield issued 42 tornado warnings, 30 severe thunderstorm warnings and nine flash flood warnings across Southwest Missouri, Southeast Kansas and the Missouri Ozarks, meteorologist Cory Rothstein said.

"It was a very active day," he said. "We had multiple modes of severe weather: supercells, a squall line of storms that developed after the supercells, and then a large amount of rainfall and flooding."

Default Eight years after 2011 tornado, community safe rooms provide shelter from storms

Eight years after 2011 tornado, community safe rooms provide shelter from storms

By Kimberly Barker and Emily Younker news@joplinglobe.com
    May 21, 2019

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/loc...4bf6aff9b.html
    http://christian-identity.net/forum/...19757post19757
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...9757#post19757

Kay Johnson on Tuesday talks about the community shelter at Kelsey Norman Elementary School in Joplin.
    The retired secretary at the school is among the volunteers who open the safe rooms outside of school hours.
    Since the 2011 tornado, the Joplin School District has built at least 14 safe rooms, which also serve the public, especially residents
    in their specific neighborhoods. She said she sees Joplin as more storm ready than in 2011, especially because of the safe rooms. GLOBE | ROGER NOMER

On May 22, 2011, Kay Johnson and her husband took shelter in a hall closet in their home as an EF5 tornado struck Joplin, killing 161 people and damaging thousands of residences and businesses.

Today, eight years later, the couple say they have a safer place to seek refuge — a community safe room at nearby Kelsey Norman Elementary School, which opens to the public in the case of severe weather.

"I absolutely do" feel safer with access to the shelter, said Johnson, who just retired as the longtime Kelsey Norman secretary. "I never want to have that fear we all had that night. I want to do everything I can to keep my family safe."

Minutes away

In Joplin, the safe rooms — most of which double as gymnasiums for schoolchildren during the day — are opened to the public automatically in the event of a tornado warning for the city. They also can be and have been opened, at the discretion of district officials, before a warning is issued, especially in situations when counties to the west of Joplin are experiencing inclement weather.

The Globe took a few test drives from different areas of Joplin to determine how long it would take, on average, to find the nearest storm shelter.

Residents living near the Joplin Regional Airport would drive about 5 miles, or 12 minutes, to Royal Heights Elementary School — or they could shave down their time by driving about 4 miles, or eight minutes, to Webb City High School. Those living near Schifferdecker Park can drive less than a mile down the road to reach Jefferson Elementary School’s community storm shelter, a trip of a minute or less.

On the east side of Joplin, residents living near Missouri Southern State University can travel approximately 2 miles, or seven to eight minutes, to reach safe rooms at Royal Heights or Eastmorland. From the Walmart store at 15th Street and Range Line Road, drivers would reach Eastmorland in less than a minute. And with the temporary closure of the safe room at Columbia, residents of north Joplin would travel about a mile to West Central instead; in stormy conditions, that can be done in five minutes.

In many of those scenarios, it appears that residents could quickly reach a community safe room in Joplin. And tornado warning lead times, the interval between when a warning is issued and when the tornado occurs, continue to improve with the advancement of technology such as next-generation satellites, meteorologists say.

Two decades ago, the average tornado lead time nationwide was about seven and a half minutes, according to the National Weather Service station in Springfield. In 2011, that time frame had increased to 14.5 minutes; in 2013, it was about nine minutes.

Why the decline in recent years? Tornadoes rated EF3 and greater tend to have longer lead times, of 15 to 25 minutes, but the advent of social media and better technology means that smaller tornadoes, which tend to have shorter lead times, are more frequently reported and recorded, driving that average down, said Cory Rothstein, a meteorologist with the Springfield station.

“You have a lot of these weaker tornadoes that may have not been reported before that are now getting reported because people have cameras available and can post it onto Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,” he said. “It becomes a lot easier to access information than what we had in the past.”

In most instances when a tornado watch is issued, people tend to have a few hours to prepare for bad weather before any potential tornado actually occurs. Rothstein said residents should be watchful of the weather and have multiple ways to receive warnings, whether it’s a phone, television or weather radio.

When a warning is issued, residents should shelter in place or, if close to a safe room, go there, Rothstein said. Residents who want to seek shelter in a community safe room should plan to go there immediately.

"Make sure you have multiple ways to receive these reports and know where safe rooms are at," he said.

The Neosho School District plans to construct a FEMA safe room at its replacement for Goodman Elementary. The Goodman school was destroyed
    by a tornado on April 4, 2017. The school building itself is expected to open for the fall term, and design work on the community safe room is underway. GLOBE | ROGER NOMER

'A great asset'

Hundreds of residents have sought shelter in the Joplin safe rooms since they opened four to five years ago, said Kerry Sachetta, assistant superintendent of operations for the school district.

"I think it has worked well," he said. "I think it's obviously a great asset to the community. We're happy to provide this opportunity for the community because we definitely don't want a repeat of what happened eight years ago."

Outside of school hours, the safe rooms are overseen by a mix of school staff members and community volunteers, dedicated groups of people organized by the principals who can ensure that the structures are being used properly.

Johnson, the retired Kelsey Norman secretary, is one of those volunteers. The Kelsey Norman safe room has been well used by the neighborhood, at one point drawing more than 250 people during one stormy night in its first year of operation, she said.

Last year, she sought shelter there four or five times, and she has taken refuge there at least twice already this spring, she said.

Johnson said she feels that Joplin, as a community, is safer and more tornado-ready than it was eight years ago, in large part because of the community shelters available to residents.

"The memories of that day, we'll never forget," she said. "And we want to be safe."

Cousin Randy Turner is offline gliberal whigger butthole fag Veteran Member Cousin Randy Turner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Default Tornadoes in Carl Junction, Golden City & Jefferson City

___666___666___666___

The Turner Diaries RULES, The Turner Report drools

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2