Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARRAIGHFERGHUS PLANET: What's New?

What's New?

Background Information And Updates On The Musical Career And Online Activities Of Charles Gavan O'Lanahan

3/'96. My parents give me an acoustic guitar for St. Patrick's Day, and I immediately begin to learn the rudiments of this instrument.

For two days, I practiced almost constantly, until I felt I had learned to change chords (grant it, the only chords I ever bothered to learn in the first place were 'G' and 'D', which I learned by watching an instructional videotape) quickly enough that I was ready to start working on transcribing some of the MANY songs I had written over the past three years.

After I tried it, however, I found that I wasn't quite ready. ;-) The overall sound quality was still pretty rough, so much so that I didn't really bother to try to sing "serious" vocals at this point. I just sung in a goofy, constipated-sounding wheeze/whine.

Also, I soon realized that I had yet to master the technique of strumming a transitional bridge, (to segue more smoothly into a change of tempo from verse to chorus, vice versa, or between sets of verses) ....so I worked at it for about another week, and then I decided to give it another shot.

While my initial recordings of "Long Time Ago", "May 12, 1989", "Electric Woman", and "Have Some Baby Brains, Sherriff", left much to be desired, I felt they were good enough for a start, and a HUGE improvement over the previous week's efforts.

So, I set out upon my mission, with firm intent to transcribe at least fifty of my best songs. Eventually, I succeded in that goal, and, along the way, with each new challenge, with each new improvisation, my guitar-playing began to improve.

Also, inspired by my growing confidence as self-accompanist, I wrote several new songs on the guitar, which I also recorded. ("If Hitler Came To Your House", "Idiot Wind" (w/new lyrics), "Blood, Sap, & Semen", "We're All Getting Older", "Ode To Mr. Toad", "Graveyard Ghosts", "Anymore", "Everybody Wants To Sell Tickets", "Little Girl, There's Blood On Your Hands","4th Of July Confession", "How To Make An American Prayer", "April 27th", "The Bullet Song", "I'll Go To Idaho (And You Can Go To Hell)", "Everybody Gets It In The End", "Talking Dog Story", "Picking Up Orwell's Crumbs", "Nightblindness", "Appalachicola", "You Lost", and "Cautionary Tale".)

From late March to December 23rd, I transcribed and recorded my songs. You must understand that these songs were recorded on a little $20-$30 hand-held G.E. tape recorder, and the guitar I used was just a cheap no-name $75 job. Therefore, the sound quality of these recordings will proably not be quite up to the standards you're used to.

Not to mention the fact that I only knew two chords to begin with, and there are often small gaps, spaces of "dead air" on the individual tracks, which were places where I flubbed the segueways so bad, that, in order to maintain any sense of continuity whatsoever, I felt it was best to go back, and, with what editing skills I have, due to the limitations of my equipment, simply splice together different segments of the recording.

And, in terms of my singing abilities, I must confess that I ain't exactly Enrico Caruso anyhow. ;-)
    As a general rule, I can sing fairly well, however, I found out the hard way that, when trying to be heard over a cheap acoustic guitar, one simply has to yell like some country hick farmer trying to call his hogs most of the time. :-/ :-D

Really, the best example I can give you of what I sound like is the first Charles Manson CD, if you've heard that. In terms of my musical ability, it's just about identical to that of the "ol' Fleshcarver" when he first got out of prison in late '67.

Not to say that I particularly SOUND like Charles Manson, in terms of my singing. For the most part, I don't. (Except, of course, on those rare occasions when I purposely TRY to sound like him, for a sinister or comic effect, as in "Don't Lie, Pussy", "The Ballad of Charles Manson", and "Charlie's Blues [A Boy Named Charlie Brown]")

Basically, I would say that, if you like early Dylan, Neil Young, Michael Martin Murphey, Jimmy Buffett, Nirvana's MTV UNPLUGGED album, and Jim Croce, and you like/agree with my lyrics, then you would probably like it.

Anyway, it was my intention, all along, to put these songs together in various "themed" albums, and, beginning the next year, that is exactly what I did.

Keep in mind that, when you order a cassette album, you are getting basically everything you would get with one of the over-priced mass-market cassette tapes you would buy at your local record store, in terms of the PACKAGING. Every tape has its own professional-looking cover photo, song list, and inserts. (Ed. note: This was originally written back in 2003, and, needless to say, no longer applies. I really have no idea, at this point, whether ANY blank cassettes are still being sold, let alone the 120-minute kind I would need to dub copies of my originals. And, as for trying to transcribe to CD? Well, once was enough. ;-( Eventually, what I will try to do is get MP3 files made of all my songs, and have them posted to a page on my website, so that all the visitor will have to do is simply click on the link, and the song will play on their Windows Media Player. Until then, you will have to settle for reading the lyrics on my "Lyrics" page and using your imagination. ;-D )

*FAMILY ALBUM and SHIT STAINS, WEATHER VANES, & PISSING IN THE TREES are not commercially available, due to copyright restrictions. (The latter contains versions of Carl Klang's "Seventeen Little Children" and Bobby Bare's "Times Are Gettin' Hard". The former is an album of nothing BUT covers, the inside joke being that, were I to truly make a "family" album, it would have to be an album of covers, since my own songs contain so much profanity.)

1/'97. HAVE SOME BABY BRAINS, SHERRIFF (AKA VOLUME ONE) released. Contains the following songs: "Have Some Baby Brains, Sherriff", "God Rest The Blues", "Killers Always Smile", "To The Uninitiated", "Pretty Swastika Road", "They Did Me Dirty Early On", "Long Time Ago", and "Hey Mama". All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan. Originally Released January 1997. 1997 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

4/'97. FROM THE TRENCHES (AKA VOLUME TWO) released. Contains the following songs: "Freedom" (Music: Sherman & Sherman. Lyrics: O'Lanahan.), "Don't Lie, Pussy", "May 12, 1989", "4th Of July Confession", "Snakechasing Motordog Blues", "From The Trenches", "Blood, Sap, & Semen", "I've Got To Know" (Music and Original Lyrics: Woody Guthrie. New Lyrics: O'Lanahan.) All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan, Unless Otherwise Indicated. Originally Released April 1997. 1997 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

8/'97. JAGGED EDGES (AKA VOLUME THREE)released. Contains the following songs: "April 27th", "Graveyard Ghosts", "The Bullet Song", "Little Girl, There's Blood On Your Hands", "Anymore", "Everybody Wants To Sell Tickets", "Picking Up Orwell's Crumbs", "Appalachicola". All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan. Originally Released August 1997. 1997 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

1/'99. CAUTIONARY TALE released. Contains the following songs: "Candide Can-Opener", "Electric Woman", "You Lost", "It'll Come Back To Haunt You", "The Old Dictator", "20th Century Romanesque", "The Unguarded Hour", "Cautionary Tale". All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan. Originally Released January 1999. 1999 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

4/'99. IN YOUR FACE released. Contains the following songs: "The Ultimate Pariah", "If Hitler Came To Your House", "The Ballad Of Charles Manson", "Talking Knoxville Blues", "I'll Go To Idaho (And You Can Go To Hell)", "Hot Rod Hell", "Come Back As Warriors", "Ballad Of A White Resister". All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan. Originally Released April 1999. 1999 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

8/'99. COLD & CLEAR released. Contains the following songs: "Lord Of The Manor", "Druggies In Love", "Relocation", "Still I Dream Of It', "The Cost of Conformity", "No Justice", "Caught On The Wire", "Ol' Hal's In Ecstasy Now". All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan. Originally released August 1999. 1999 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

10/'99. APPALACHIAN SOUL released. Contains the following songs: "New South", "Witched!", "Yeah, Alright", "Tribulation", "How To Make An American Prayer", "Water Under The Bridge", "Under Ben Bulben" (Lyrics: William Butler Yeats. Music: O'Lanahan.), "Aboo". All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan, Unless Otherwise Indicated. Originally Released October 1999. 1999 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

1/2000. FAMILY ALBUM released. Contains the following songs: "Where Shall We Go When The Great Day Comes?" (Traditional), "The Plough-Hand's Song" (Traditional), "Battle Of Armageddon" (Roy Acuff/Odell McLeod), "Ramblin' Man" (Hank Williams), "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" (Hank Williams), "River" (David Allan Coe), "Wandrin' Star" (Lerner & Lowe), "What's Right, What's Wrong" (Sherman & Sherman), "Does Anybody Care?" (Sherman Edwards), "Charlie's Blues (A Boy Named Charlie Brown)" (Rod McKuen). Originally Released January 2000.

4/2000. NIGHTMARE DISNEYLAND, my ninth album, was SUPPOSED to have been released this month.

However, I got lazy for some reason or other, and didn't do it. I didn't even dub the copies until a month or so later, and it would be over TWO YEARS after that before I actually decided to get off my lazy ass and glue on the covers and cut out, fold, and attach the insert photos.

What can I say, except, in the immortal words of the Sex Pistols, "I'm A Lazy Sod". lol.

8/2000. My tenth and final album, SHIT STAINS, WEATHER VANES, AND PISSING IN THE TREES, was supposed to have been released this month.

However, after seeing Pat Buchanan, the candidate I had been supporting for President that year, sell his soul to the dirty, good-for-nothing SODOMITES knocked me for such a loop that I was pretty much in tailspin for the rest of the year.

It really made me question my whole perception of the universe. Frankly, dubbing cassette tapes was the LAST thing on my mind for many months.

7/7/2001. I finally joined the online community when my good friend, John Patrick, set up a Hotmail account for me, and agreed to let me use his computer once a week.

Needless to say, this opened up a whole new world for me.

11/2001. I finally managed to get my APPALACHIAN SOUL tape transcribed to CD.

This was done by Michael deBills of Wolf Valley Productions, Heiskell, Tennessee.

The graphics (one-fold insert, spine, and tray insert) were done by American Reprographics of Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

12/2001. Got the first run of copies of my APPALACHIAN SOUL CD (an extremely limited 10 CD release, for friends and family only.) burned.

1/2002. APPALACHIAN SOUL CD finally released, after CD labels were printed. (The bastards fucked them up, but....that's another story.)

9/2002. NIGHTMARE DISNEYLAND released. Contains the following songs: "Andrei Denisov's Blues", "Thinking Of Hell", "Talking Dog Story", "Nightblindness", "Ode To Mr. Toad", "We're All Gettin' Older", "Everybody Gets It In The End", "Buffalo Brains". All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan. 2002 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

11/14/2002. First website set up at The Men's Center.com.

It only stayed up for 3 months and 14 days. Then it was deleted. :-(

11/2002. SHIT STAINS, WEATHER VANES, & PISSING IN THE TREES released. Contains the following songs: "Poor Old Tommy Donohue", "Order Out Of Chaos", "Really Don't Know Nothin'", "Seventeen Little Children" (Carl Klang), "Times Are Gettin' Hard" (Bobby Bare), "The Haunted Palace" (Lyrics: Edgar Allan Poe. Music: O'Lanahan.), "Battle Cry Of Freedom" (Music: George Frederick Root. Pro-Southern Lyrics: ???), "With God On Their Side" (Music: Bob Dylan. New Anti-Freemasonic Lyrics: O'Lanahan.). All Songs Written by Charles Gavan O'Lanahan, Unless Otherwise Indicated. 2002 Ahtanaram Productions. Copyright Protected by Heckler & Koch, Inc.

3/2003. Original website deleted by The Men's Center.com.

Why this happened is still unclear. Perhaps I was ratted out by some dirty Khazar filth. Perhaps not.

Possibly, (and most likely, in fact,) the sponsors of this "free" site, simply decided to yank it because, after three months, I didn't choose to pay them $20 to have the site "upgraded". :-(

This kind of behavior SHOULDN'T be legal, me boyos, but, unfortunately, it is.

4/2/2003. Set up new website on Angelfire.com. :-)

4/9/2003. Added "Today In History" page.

4/30/2003. Added "What's New?" page. ;-)

10/2003. I finally get my own computer, freeing me to update this site more often, and whenever I feel like it, even if it's at 3 o'clock in the morning. :-D

1/2004. Added "Missives From The Briarpatch" page.

2/2004. Added "Poetry" page.

?/2004. Added more songs to "Lyrics" page. (Been so long, I can't remember the date, or even the month.)

?/2004. Ditto. (Later in the same year.) :-)

10/2004. Added "An Open Letter To Dweebight" page.

8/2005. Added more songs to "Lyrics" page.

10/4/2005. Got my own printer/scanner/copier for my birthday. No longer would I have to pay for full-color graphics or even simple black-and-white copies. I was now able to make my own. :-)

6/2006. Added more songs to "Lyrics" page.

12/25/2007. I finally got my own VHS-to-DVD machine, allowing me to finally release my CHARLIE O'LANAHAN: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION DVD, consisting of a couple of makeshift music videos and a shitload of a cappela performances, the next month. :-D A POETRY COLLECTION DVD would follow in 2009.

1/12/2008. CHARLIE O'LANAHAN: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION DVD released.

4/24/2009. CHARLIE O'LANAHAN: THE POETRY COLLECTION DVD released.

6/14/2009. "Today In History" page updated.

6/15/2009. Ditto.

8/1/2009. Added more songs to "Lyrics" page.

8/8/2009. Ditto.

8/9/2009. Ditto.

8/22/2009. Updated "Today In History" page.

8/23/2009. Ditto.

8/24/2009. Ditto.

8/25/2009. Ditto.

8/30/2009. Ditto.

8/31/2009. TODAY IN HISTORY page finally finished. Only took me SIX YEARS, huh? ;-( :-/ ;-D God, I'm a lazy fucker!!!

9/19/2009. TODAY IN HISTORY page updated.

9/20/2009. Ditto.

12/2009. Got a Crosley CD Recorder as an early Christmas present. With it, I am now able to convert any vinyl record or cassette to CD. :-)

1/2010. SHIT STAINS, WEATHER VANES, AND PISSING IN THE TREES transcibed to CD.

2/2010. COLD AND CLEAR transcribed to CD.

3/2010. CAUTIONARY TALE transcribed to CD.

4/2010. IN YOUR FACE transcribed to CD.

5/2010. NIGHTMARE DISNEYLAND transcribed to CD.

7/2010. HAVE SOME BABY BRAINS, SHERIFF transcribed to CD.

8/2010. FROM THE TRENCHES and JAGGED EDGES transcribed to CD.

10/2/2010. Added two more songs to "Lyrics" page.

10/2010. FAMILY ALBUM transcribed to CD.

12/24/2012. Pastor Lindstedt creates this subforum for me, here on Christian Nationalist.
    IF YOU STILL LOVE AMERIKA, YOU'RE A NIGGER-LOVER!!! ---CGO. 1/20/'09.

"Lay down your silver and your gold
    I am a man who won't be sold
    And even when my heart grows cold
    I'll curse your evil stranglehold."---Horslips, from "Trouble With A Capital 'T'", 1977.
Working...
X