• Show
Clear All

• Our local jewspapers are dying like shit-eating Dogs

Our local jewspapers are dying like shit-eating Dogs

Drastic cuts made at Neosho Daily News, Carthage Press

https://rturner229.blogspot.com/2017...aily-news.html
    http://christian-identity.net/forum/...6129#post16129
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...6129#post16129

Gatehouse Media is making drastic cuts at its area newspapers, company sources have confirmed to the Turner Report.

The Neosho Daily News, currently publishing five days a week, will publish twice-weekly beginning next month.

The Carthage Press, which a few years ago published six days a week, then was cut to five, and is now publishing twice weekly, will have only one print edition per week.

The Pittsburg Morning Sun, currently publishing six days a week, will now publish five editions each week.

The Miami News-Record will publish twice a week.

In its article on the changes, the News-Record says it will continue to publish daily news online. Reportedly, that will also be the plan at the other publications.

Sources have also confirmed to the Turner Report that the newspaper company will also be cutting jobs at the already thinly-staffed newspapers, in addition to reducing the number of issues per week.

Posted by Randy at 4:54 PM Wednesday March 22, 2017

___666___666___666___

The Turner Diaries RULES, The Turner Report drools

Former resident: Wake up, Carthage, we need a reliable news source

Former resident: Wake up, Carthage, we need a reliable news source
    like the jewplin Glob, cum-cum, cum-cum!!!

https://rturner229.blogspot.com/2017...rthage-we.html
    http://christian-identity.net/forum/...6183#post16183
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...6183#post16183

Mystery Whigger

The decision by Gatehouse Media to make the Carthage Press, a six-days-a-week newspaper just a few years ago to a once-a-week publication will have a negative effect on its readers, but it will also have a more immediate cost for long-time Press reporter Rebecca Haines, whose job has been eliminated as a result of cost-cutting measures.

Both things were addressed in a Facebook post that quickly went viral Wednesday by former Carthage resident Paul D. Wilson.

The post is reprinted below:

GateHouse Media, the owners of the Carthage Press, made more cutbacks today as it slowly swirls in tight, concentric circles, down the toilet bowl of local newspaper death.

Today saw cutbacks in people and the number of weekly editions in Miami, Pittsburg and Neosho.
    But nowhere will those cut backs be felt as badly as in Carthage.

Today, they cut Carthage's Sweetheart; author, reporter and the girl who gave her heart and soul to the production of the Press... Rebecca Haines. She's also the person who convinced me to actually step out there and write, where she's published me more times than I can count. (Sorry, I didn't mean to make this about me, but when it's about me it holds my interest better and I find it more entertaining...)

I saw Rebecca four weeks ago when I was in town and stopped by the Press office. It was then that (Editor) John (Hacker) told me about the earlier office cutbacks, where they were told to share their admin with Neosho and split her expenses.

I've been in business management my whole life. It was clear from our discussion, the moves they made were just another step towards the end. Postponing the inevitable.

An admin salary isn't the budget modification that was going to make them profitable. It's just one more step towards the end.

Going from 6 to 4 to 2 to 1 paper a week spells but one outcome. And it's not growth, it's death.

People of Carthage, small town print media isn't dead. It's the only growth area in the newspaper business. What kills papers like The Press is massive corporate structure, huge overheads assigned to their operation and years of incredible mismanagement by the cluster that is GateHouse.

Carthage, it's time to take a stand. The newspaper is the heartbeat of a community. It can't be allowed to die.

It's time for people like Mark Elliff and the Chamber, city leaders, benefactors, people who love that town like I do, to step in and do something.

I don't want to step on any toes, but since it's what I do best....I've been in Carthage for the weekend twice in the last 4 weeks, securely ensconced in the Presidential Suite at Boots.

While there, I noticed brand new BIKE LANES painted all over town. You know what else I noticed? NO EFFING BIKES!

I have no idea where the grants or money came from to make that happen, but it would have kickstarted your own paper!

Your paper can't die; GateHouse will let that happen.

Why?

Because they DON'T CARE.

You know who does?

Becca and John.

Carthage, take this on! Save your paper and save these two people who love your town AND your paper. It's far more important than bike lanes! You're not Portland, for God's sake, where people live on their bikes!

I'd talk to the Mayor myself, but he's a sad little man and still a little testy towards me about that whole fire chief debacle.

The money is IN that town to make this a reality!

Take this on yourself!

GateHouse mismanagement, corporate costs and overhead have your paper in ICU on life support. GateHouse is flipping a coin to decide when to pull the plug.

Local businesses, get behind a NEW paper. Buy ads, subscribe, get some love behind your town having a reliable news source, written by two people who love Carthage and bleed black ink!
    This can be done. The people are there that can make it happen!

Get Becca back, keep John there and pay GateHouse back by showing them what happens when an ENTIRE TOWN gets behind its paper and builds it into what it can be!

I'd say pick a date and protest this action by GateHouse IN FRONT OF THE PRESS BUILDING!

Make a show of force. I'll come down and participate! Wake up, Carthage, don't lose this jewel. You need a news source.

Don't let this out of touch, out of town group of strangers and corporate buffoons ruin what you have!

Who's with me?

Posted by Randy at 7:12 AM Friday, March 24, 2017

___666___666___666___

Comment

Publisher: Don't worry about cuts, our papers will be "stronger, more robust"

Publisher: Don't worry about cuts, our papers will be "stronger, more robust".

Plus we will have Internuts News and it won't be as faggy as The Turner Report.

https://rturner229.blogspot.com/2017...g-post_24.html
      http://christian-identity.net/forum/...6181#post16181
      http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...6181#post16181

For those of you who are concerned that fewer editions of the Carthage Press, Neosho Daily News, Pittsburg Morning Sun and Miami News-Record, don't be.

Jamey Honeycutt, Gatehouse Media's regional publisher, told Fox 14 Thursday that fewer editions will enable the newspapers to offer readers a better product.

"Our communities will be better served by stronger, more robust editions filled with more local news," Honeycutt promised in a statement provided to reporter Chloe Leshner.

Honeycutt provided no details on how this would be done, considering that the fewer editions will also be accompanied by job cuts.

At Carthage, long-time reporter Becca Haines, a Carthage native, lost her job. leaving two people, Managing Editor John Hacker and Sports Editor Brennan Stebbins on the news staff.

Honeycutt is promising that daily news will continue to be covered on the newspapers' internet sites, a prospect that provides little comfort with fewer staff members to provide that news.

Posted by Randy at 8:30 AM Friday, March 24, 2017

___666___666___666___

Comment

Neosho Daily Douche is publishing all of two daze a weak, becum-cums a bi-weakly

Neosho Daily Douche is publishing all of two daze a weak, becum-cums a bi-weakly

http://www.neoshodailynews.com/news/...shing-two-days
        http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...6184#post16184
        http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...6184#post16184

tarting in mid April, the Neosho Daily News will publish twice a week instead of it's current five-day schedule. The announcement was made late Wednesday by publisher Jamey Honeycutt.

"Everyone is well aware of the challenging nature of the newspaper business and we have to adapt to survive," said Honeycutt. "To be successful and insure we are here covering Newton County for generations, we had to look at who and what we are and then decide how best to proceed. We had to determine what we do better than anyone and that was cover local news."

As the news business has evolved, state and national news are more readily available. For years, the Daily News has included that content each day as a service. However, it has begun to dominate the news and even supplant some local content. Honeycutt decided it was more important to utilize the pages of the Daily News covering only local events and issues, like your typpycull weakly.

Honeycutt admitted that the staff had heard the criticism of several newspaper editions during the week. Besides, the headquarters is dedicated to asset-stripping and local newsroom cost-cutting.

"Several of the papers were thin and consisted mostly of state and national news, news many readers could find anywhere other than the Daily Douche," stated Honeycutt.

What the Daily News did best was hyper-local news that you would not find at any other media outlet, like who is sodomizing who. Honeycutt wanted to focus on that aspect, even if it meant reducing the print days.

"We will still produce local news daily online," Honeycutt said, "But when your print edition comes on Tuesday and the weekend, it will be a thick edition focused exclusively on local news, sports and advertising." Honeycutt hopes, by limiting the print schedule, it will be appointment reading, something no one will want to miss.

Advertisers will also benefit from these special print editions, especially after they migrate to Craigslist.

"In the past, advertisers had to choose how best to reach potential clients in five editions. Now, they can cover their target demographic with two editions and one highly trafficked web-site," said Honeycutt.

The weekend edition will hit the newsstands first thing Friday morning (April 21). Home delivery subscribers will receive your paper delivered with your daily mail. The second edition will publish on Tuesday (April 25).

Subscribers will see the difference immediately and Honeycutt along with newly named editor Todd Higdon think the changes will be welcomed by readers.

No other news agency in the area focuses on Neosho and Newton County like the Daily News and the Daily News takes it's responsibility seriously.

"We will continue to be the news leader in Newton County and reach more households regularly than anyone else," said Honeycutt.

He added that the paper will still be known as the Neosho Daily News since it will continue to post news daily despite printing twice a week.

The Daily News encourages its readers to send in news items, school news, club news, and sports items to the paper.

News items should be directed to the paper's managing editor (Todd Higdon) at thigdon@neoshodailynews.com; and reporter Dave Horvath at dhorvath@neoshodailynews.com. Sports stories should be directed to bsisney@neoshodailynews.com

===666===666===666===

The Neosho Daily Douche

All the ZOGling-Approved Shit That Sorta Fits We Print
        http://www.neoshodailynews.com/

Comment

Remembering David [W]Horebath, cum-cum, cum-cum

Remembering David [W]Horebath, cum-cum, cum-cum

Lee Ann Murphy Community Editor
          Jan 29, 2020 at 7:00 PM
          Jan 29, 2020 at 7:06 PM

https://www.neoshodailynews.com/news...--dave-horvath
          http://christian-identity.net/forum/...0909#post20909
          http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...0913#post20913

After coming to town, St. Louis native Dave Horvath soon earned a nickname - "The Voice of Neosho". Before he arrived here, Dave had worked at several radio stations in Missouri after graduating from The Broadcast Center.

As news director of radio station KBTN, Dave delivered the news to listeners. He kept them up to date on what happened in Neosho, at City Hall, with the School Board and on the police blotter.

Retired Missouri State Representative Kevin Wilson shared his memories about Dave, "What I remember most about Dave is his passion and his love for his God, his country and his family. I first met Dave at KBTN radio where I was a guest on John McCormack’s talk show. Dave and I shared common political views and he was never shy about sharing his with me.When Dave got started you just sat back and listened because he was going to tell you exactly what he thought. That is a trait that is lost in today’s society. Too many people want to sugar coat everything and then gripe later in private. Not Dave, you never worried about him not being honest with you."

Former Neosho Daily News managing editor Todd Higdon recalled the days when he and Dave reported for different media outlets, "When I started at the Neosho Daily, Dave was at every school board and city council meeting and event with his trusty tape recorder. He would take it back and use it for his news broadcast on KBTN."

After arriving in Neosho in 2000, Dave's voice was on the airwaves until 2009, when the radio station eliminated the news department. So, Dave tweaked his career a little. He enrolled at Crowder College where he earned a degree in journalism and public relations.

"He already had the news reporting and writing skills in general," Crowder College faculty member Latonia Bailey remembered. "He just needed the specifics for newspaper style, layout skills, and the degree itself to pursue other jobs in the media industry. Dave excelled and climbed the ranks of the college newspaper to be editor in chief during his spring 2012 semester. As a nontraditional student, Dave was a colorful character and always had interesting anecdotes from his life experiences. His language was colorful as well, and he respectfully spoke his opinion on various topics. Being around Dave, it didn't take long to see that certain things were important to him: his family, grandkids, dog, music, and religion."

With his degree in hand, Dave returned to radio for a short time but in early 2014, then editor John Ford hired him as a reporter for The Neosho Daily News. In a news story introducing Dave as a new staff member, Ford wrote, "We worked alongside each other for several years, only for different formats. Sure, radio is different, but as I told him in the interview, when it comes right down to it, all journalists are first and foremost storytellers. Dave has that ability to find, and tell, a story.”

He also had a gift for touching lives, something Kevin Wilson remembers well."After I finished my 8 years in Jefferson City he gave me the greatest compliment that I think you could give someone who served in the legislature. He said that I came out of Jefferson City exactly how I went in (meaning that I hadn’t let the legislature change who I was). Coming from a man like Dave that meant

everything to me."

Another former editor and journalist, Buzz Ball spoke about his friend, Dave, earlier this week,

"Dave and I covered many, many events, meetings and elections together when he was with KBTN and I was with the Neosho Daily News. We never treated each other as competitors, but as co-journalists and friends. Dave worked hard for each and every story and was respected by all in the community and his fellow journalists. My regret is that we didn’t work for the same news outlet at the same time. I would have loved to have worked with him side-by-side on projects. Dave was my friend and he never gave me cause to disrespect him or dishonor him. I will miss him greatly."

Community members also mourn Dave's passing.

Karol Mayer, Neosho, recalled Dave as a fellow animal lover and much more.

"Dave was a great guy to know, opinionated, and we didn't always agree, but I cared about him, the family, and his animals," she said.. I will never forget my friend, and his family will always be part of my life."

Higdon also said about Dave, "Dave was a great friend, a mentor an a journalist to Neosho and the community."

Dave not only fought a long battle against cancer, never giving up, always certain that he would return to the newsroom and he shared that hope with others.

"The last few years we talked about our forms of cancer, and he always had such a way with words (sometimes too descriptive), and his rhetoric was so full of humor as well as determination that it wasn't going to get him down," Mayer recalls. "He kept me positive and I tried to keep him positive.

Kevin Wilson also shared additional thoughts, "Dave was diagnosed with cancer after I was and we had that common bond. I consider myself a man of faith but mine dims next to his. Never did he waiver in

that faith and he lifted up and touched more people than he ever could know. He was a warrior and trusted absolutely in God and in His plan for him.Dave always talked about his miracle. Well, I would say that he got his miracle and I look forward to one day seeing him again in Heaven. Dave will be missed by his family, his community and his hosts of friends."

At The Neosho Daily News, Dave remained on his beat until his cancer diagnosis but until recently, he visited the office often and always had sage advice to share with the staff.

A memorial service will take place at The Living Church of God on Sunday, February 9 at noon.

The church is located at 6417 Gateway Drive, Joplin.

In lieu of flowers, the family will accept cards, condolences and donations at their residence, 301 West McKinney, Neosho, MO 64850.

Dave Horvath was the voice of Neosho, first on the airwaves and then in print. He leaves a legacy of old school journalism behind. He was a man who always got the story and shared it with the world. He will be long remembered and he will be missed.

Dave fought the good fight and he kept the faith.

===666===666===666===

The Neosho Daily Douche

Comment

I'm a clueless jewspaper shithead who thinks that you are fuktarded because you don't listen to us jewspaper yappers no more

I'm a clueless jewspaper shithead who thinks that you are fuktarded because you don't listen to us jewspaper yappers no more

Andy Ostmeyer: No to alternative facts; yes to alternative identity

https://www.joplinglobe.com/opinion/...3fe4aae3c.html
            http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...2397#post22397
            http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...2397#post22397

Two recent conversations — one angry, the other not — have been banging off each other inside my head.

An angry reader wanted to know why in Hades (he didn't speak Greek, by the way) we keep running stories stating it was supporters of former President Donald Trump who were involved in the Capitol attack. He insisted it was antifa. He accused the media of lying to him.

The whole time I'm listening to him, I'm thinking: He's not angry at us for lying to him; he's angry at us for not lying to him.

Nothing I said made a difference. He then moved on to blaming the media for the deep divisions that exist in our country.

That led me to a second conversation, with Joshua Darr, who teaches politics and communication at Louisiana State University. He's an expert on partisan polarization and local news and lead author of a study titled "Newspaper Closures Polarize Voting Behavior," which appeared in 2018 in the Journal of Communication.

The study concluded that it's actually the decline and closing of newspapers that contribute to increased polarization and partisan identity. I wanted to know a little more.

Darr said it has to do with the evolution and proliferation of national cable news channels, the internet and social media, which readers turn to more often and rely on more heavily when a community loses its newspaper.

"Many of these new entrants to the market tend to be more extreme, partisan and polarizing than news of the past, with important consequences for voters," Darr and his co-authors wrote in the study.

I was reminded of the rebuke Ted Koppel gave to Bill O'Reilly when Koppel said national news has gone from being "objective and dull" to "subjective and entertaining." Cable news and social media regularly frame news as sport, adversarial, even combat between the two parties, otherwise it's not entertaining and, ultimately, not as profitable. As part of that, events get interpreted and reported through an ideological lens, with the worst of these media putting ideology before facts.

The result was my angry antifa caller.

Into this widening spectrum of national cable and internet news, from far right to far left, viewers naturally settle into that place on the spectrum that supports the narrative they want to hear.

"It sort of reinforces your partisan identity," Darr told me.

Evidence for increasing partisanship after a community loses its newspaper is found in voting patterns. According to the study: "We identify a significant effect in voting patterns in matched communities that have and have not experienced the closure of a local newspaper: Communities with newspaper closures have lower rates of split-ticket voting in presidential and senatorial elections."

That's due in part to the fact that without local newspapers, voters grow more partisan because of that increased reliance on national and increasingly partisan news sources. But they are also less informed about local and state candidates and issues, so they default to the candidate's political label either as a Republican or Democrat to make decisions down ballot. (Another study found that as people are less informed about local issues and local candidates, they simply stop down-ballot voting.)

But with a community newspaper, even though you won't find alternative facts, there is the option of an alternative identity.

Darr pointed out that community newspapers reinforce community identity, which transcends partisanship.

You read a local newspaper story and discover that the guy flying the Trump flag from his pickup is also the volunteer cleaning up baseball fields where your son, who dreams of being the next Hank Aaron, would spend every waking hour if you let him.

You read a local newspaper story and learn that the person with the Bernie Sanders bumper sticker is also the same person who leads local cancer fundraisers, which have benefited her mom — and yours. You read the local obituaries and realize that the person who sits in the pew next to you in church, whom you knew little about beyond his Trump face mask, just lost a loved one to a horrible disease, something you know a bit about.

You realize by reading the paper that the guy at the rally for President Joe Biden also runs a small business, just as you do, and supports, just as you do, a new community investment program that will help both your businesses.

Community newspapers help readers understand that their communities are complex, multidimensional and, above all, connected. Suddenly it's less about being a conservative or a liberal and more about being a resident of Joplin.

"Local news helps reinforce a local identity that cuts across partisanship," Darr told me.

As I write this (on Thursday morning), I counted 112 local stories in the paper over the past week that were about your community, your schools, your businesses, your teams, your churches, your elected leaders. That's 112 times in one week that we offered an antidote to polarization by reinforcing connections that build that alternative identify among us — that of community.

We may be conservatives, liberals and moderates, but we are first and foremost neighbors.

To be a community, we need community newspapers.

Andy Ostmeyer is the editor of The Joplin Globe. His email is aostmeyer@joplinglobe.com.

All the shit unfit to print

http://www.joplinglobe.com

Comment

Neosho Daily News sold to Sexton Media Group

Neosho Daily News sold to Sexton Media Group

Seth Kinker Neosho Daily News

https://www.neoshodailynews.com/stor...OSHO-NLETTER65
              http://christian-identity.net/forum/...3264#post23264
              http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...3264#post23264

The Neosho Daily News and the Aurora Advertiser will have a new owner as of Sept. 1, 2021.

Gannett Co., Inc., the parent company of both papers, has agreed to sell the twice and once weekly publications, respectively, to Sexton Media Group.

Sexton Media Group, owned by Jimmy and Rhonda Sexton of Neosho, adds the Neosho Daily News and the Aurora Advertiser to its current publications that include The News-Dispatch and the River Hills Traveler.

Gannett Co., Inc., is part of the USA TODAY network with local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S. Dirks, Van Essen & April, a media merger and acquisition firm based in Santa Fe, N.M., represented Gannett in the transaction.

Terms of the transaction, scheduled to close on Sept. 1, were not disclosed.

"The Neosho Daily News has a cherished history of promoting the people, businesses and organizations that make Neosho and the surrounding communities such a wonderful place to live and do business," said Jimmy Sexton in a statement on their social media announcing the purchase. "We are proud to continue the tradition of family ownership of one of Neosho's oldest businesses, and we look forward to being a cheerleader for this community."

Sexton said he plans to merge The News-Dispatch and the Neosho Daily News, and beginning Sept. 1 will operate solely as Neosho Daily News with plans to move the office from its current location on Harmony Street to his office building at 212 E. Main Street in Neosho across from City Hall.

He will also combine both papers' Facebook pages and websites to Neosho Daily News.

Your stories live here.
              Fuel your hometown passion and plug into the stories that define it.
              Create Account
              Gannett understands the value and importance of having local news reported on by those that live in, and are part of, the community. Although we may not be in the area moving forward, we are elated to see it stay in the hands of someone that understands the fabric of the community.

As a reporter who is still very new to the industry having only graduated in 2016, I’ve seen that importance of having local news play out in my various stops thus far in Michigan, Ohio and now Missouri. News coverage, and especially local newspapers, have felt the impact of the rapid changes to this industry.

Regardless of these changes, I’ve come to realize there will always be a place for these local newspapers. Whether it’s informing the community about what’s going on at the city council and board of education meetings or covering the events and people that make this place home.

With a concentration in sports reporting, I’ve always had my sights on sports, but along the way I’ve had to wear multiple hats in this ever-evolving field. It made me gain a much larger appreciation for those who step up to serve their community whether it’s on a board, commission or just being an active part of community discussions.

Having only moved to Missouri in March, I can’t say I got to learn everything about these communities in just a few short months, and I can't express enough thanks to all the community members that took the time for me, made my job easier and allowed me into their lives.

Support local news!

To see the full statement from Sexton Media Group

===666===666===666===

The Neosho Daily Douche

Comment

Remembering John Ford

Remembering John Ford

https://rturner229.blogspot.com/2021...john-ford.html
                http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...3392#post23392

___666___666___666___