• Decline & Death of the jewsmedia

Cousin Randy Blames The Top Maggots For The Decline of the jewspapers

http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=2354#post2354
    http://stumbleinn.net/forum/showthre...922#post275922
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...976#post#19976

Originally posted by Cousin Randy Turner

Arrogance leading to the decline and fall of newspapers

http://rturner229.blogspot.com/2010/...-and-fall.html

I am so tired of the hand wringing over the failing newspapers in the United States. I worked for newspapers for 22 years and I can tell you without the slightest doubt that the major reasons you read about in every tearjerking story over their decline and fall are only symptoms and come nowhere near to accurately describing the disease.

Newspapers are not failing because they gave away their product for free over the Internet.

Newspapers are not failing because a younger generation does not want to read and has more interest in social networking and video games.

Newspapers are failing because of the arrogance of the people who are running them.

I am not talking about the editors and reporters on the front lines. They are playing with the meager hands they have been dealt. The problem is at the top -- the companies that decided it was more important to squeeze every last cent out of the newspapers without putting any quality back into them.

Companies like GateHouse Media, which I worked for when it was known as Liberty Group Publishing bought up one newspaper after another, chose center production hubs and eliminated jobs in communities without doing anything to improve their products. News staff sizes were cut drastically, production jobs eliminated entirely, while all the while company executives boasted of an improved product. Usually, this improved product consisted of a redesign, some advertising initiatives, and more special sections and niche products than can be counted. And that devotion to outside products cut down on the quality of the daily newspaper.

In small communities, obituaries, wedding anniversaries, engagements, births, all of which had been considered news in the past, were now just sources of revenue. If a family cannot afford to pay outrageous prices to a newspaper during its time of grief, the loved one's death will simply go without notice.

And no one at the top of these newspaper chains was able to figure out they were creating a disconnect between the community and the newspaper. Newspaper owners of the past, most of whom lived in the community, were smart enough to know that membership in the Chamber of Commerce and sponsoring a fireworks display or a concert (or more likely some kind of business expo) only reached one segment of the community and not a big one at that. It doesn't matter how much time you play footsie with the business community if you are not reaching their potential customers. Each time newspapers cut back on news coverage, or charged for it, they lost more and more of those potential customers.

Are there any signs that anyone at the top of the newspaper chains recognizes this problem and is doing anything about it?

Sadly, no. If anything, the companies are headed in the opposite direction. Instead of putting more money into their news products, newspapers continue to create niche products, each of which brings in some revenue, but do nothing to stop the hemorrhaging taking place in the core product. More attention is paid to the type of national celebrity news that readers can and will find more easily on the internet. What they usually will not find on the internet is the local news they need.

And the practice of centralizing production and cutting jobs continues. If even some of the savings that the newspaper chains realize from these moves were put back into the journalistic product, there might be something to say for them, but that is almost never the case. All it does, is improve the company's bottom line, cut more jobs, and slash even more ties to the local communities that eventually will determine if the newspapers are going to survive.

The most recent move of this sort was announced this week by Gannett, the country's most powerful newspaper chain. As I noted Tuesday, Gannett is centralizing pagination at five hubs across the country, and considering the company has nearly 100 daily newspapers, that means a number of people will receive pink slips in the near future, affecting every local community Gannett is supposed to serve.

While Gannett and other newspaper chains cannibalize their own products in search of every nickel they can find, the long-term health of those very products is being sacrificed for short-term profits for stockholders and a killing for the executives who are destroying the foundation on which their companies were built.

In the March 18 Turner Report, I noted the massive bonuses Gannett CEO Craig Dubow and other Gannett executives have received while cutting jobs and forcing employees to take two weeks of unpaid furloughs:
    In a proxy statement filed today with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Gannett, owner of USA Today and daily newspapers across the United States, including the Springfield News-Leader, announced more than $2.1 million in bonuses for its five top executives, including $1,450,000 for CEO Craig Dubow.

And while Gannett employees have to wonder if they will have still jobs and have to take meager severance packages and/or unemployment pay when they are fired, Dubow and his fellow executives can wreak havoc with others' lives while being guaranteed they will not face similar upheavals:

And while many Gannett employees were shown the door to help the company's bottom line, Dubow has no needs to worry on that account. If he ever leaves the company voluntarily, it has already invested nearly $9.6 million for his pension, he has nearly $6 million in stock options, and more than $3.8 million in restricted stock units, for a total of $19,312,688, according to the proxy statement.

After Dubow leaves the company, he will have medical coverage paid for life, home computer assistance for three years, use of the company plane for the same amount of time (though he will have to reimburse Gannett for that), use of an office, secretarial assistance, for a total of $47,000 worth of perks.
    If for some reason, the ownership of Gannett changes hands, Craig Dubow is guaranteed $39 million under his contract, with the other top four officials guaranteed a combined $48.5 million, for a total of $87.5 million.

Please don't blame a fickle readership for the rapid disintegration of newspapers in the United States and don't consider using taxpayer money to prop up this cadaver so it can pillage our communities for more profits and provide little of substance in return.

Readers only left newspapers because the newspapers left the readers.

POSTED BY RANDY AT 9:05 AM, Thursday, July 15, 2010

COMMENTS:

Originally posted by Anonymous Turner-licking Ass-clown

Well said Turner. Well said.

I went back a few days and reviewed what someone wrote. I got a chuckle out of it, and believe it to be true.

"Have you seen the News-Leader lately? It has no local character in any of the content. Some type of page lifted from USA Today is stuck inside and the news is whatever comes down the pike from who knows where.

There are not enough pages to wipe with. I mean we are talking about a thin newspaper in more ways than one.

I was told the delivery route that serves me has gone from over 900 daily deliveries from subscriptions two years ago to 86 today. WOW! And I don't mean Wonders Of Wildlife.

It is sad for our city but I must say from some of the stupidity over the last 20 years on editorial content, the chickens have come home to roost and they too are crapping on the NL."

The News-Leader at one time had 'Randy Turner' like folks out and about getting facts and reporting them. Now they are only interested in a return for the share holders, and that ain't much, if anything.

9:20 AM
    Cousin Swillis/Flyswatter sez:

Most of what Turner says is correct: Big Media decided to skim everything from off the top for theysselfs and put nothing back in at the local level. As a result, fewer people read the lie-papers, preferring to get what they think the criminal regime wants them to hear from the TV or major media on the Internet. Then for agreement on what they want to think, they have their choice of bloggers, forums, and web pages. Thus people have chosen their own media of choice and the end result is fracture and Balkanization as everyone finds out what he wants to believe is true.

But Turner lies about how the 'good ol' daze' of how it was good when Turner and Turner clones/clowns ran things. Essentially Turner was a liar and bully who abused his power as an editor, and then Turner ran afoul of someone much like him on the Right, and in the commotion of a libel lawsuit, the publisher/manager of the local paper was able to ship Turner out on his ear, and thus end Turner's career of shoveling liberal BS to a discerning audience. Of course now Turner is now shoveling his offal to a captive audience. Sooner or later the parents and taxpayers will stop supporting Turner and his fellow corps of parasitic liberal nitwits, and funding will follow children as the best parents take out their progeny and the taxpayers can't support the pub[l]ic skrewels.

Actually, I love seeing all the pain and hurt as clones of Turner lose their jobs and professions essentially lying to anyone stupid enough to read these lie-papers. So it is nice to see what is going around coming around to liberal idiots who advocated exactly what they ended up getting. But now that the effects of globalism and centralization and political correctness is coming around to them, commences now the puling and moaning concerning how they have been downsized and terminated and hung out to dry with the rest of the garbage.

All of the former pillars of society have been picked apart by people like Turner, first in the major media and now in the public school system. Now these parasitic termites find out that the mound in which they lived yet picked apart is falling down, and they whine that when they wanted the social order to fall apart, these silly silly fools never thought that they would be caught up in it.

Turner whining about the management destroying the major lie-papers is akin to a maggot lower on the totem pole whining about the fatter maggots living at theys' expense on a declining carcass. Maggots have no loyalty to anything other than theysselfs, and cannot understand how they had anything to do with the way things have come about due to their own misconduct.

1:06 PM

Originally posted by Turner, Leave Them Kids Alone!
    Thank you Flyswatter - not because I believe everything you say, but because you say it. He will never figure this out, but Randy Turner isn't the great sage and "knower of all things" that he wants people to believe. And it scares the living daylights out of me to think of him teaching children...

1:10 PM
    Originally posted by Cousin Randy's Ass-Clown Sock-Puppet

Anonymous, perhaps you would have been better off if you had Mr. Turner as a teacher since you appear to agree more with Flyswatter, which appears to be another pseudonym for Martin Lindstedt. Mr. Turner isn't always right with what he says, but his honesty and integrity have never been questioned by anyone with intelligence.

1:40 PM
    Swillis Gumpf Turner/Flyswatter 2 sez:

The problem with a drone like Turner is that after those who actually had to deal with Turner's causing the Carthage Press to be hated and despised because of Turner's sanctimonious stupidity -- which other drones like Anonymous @ 1:40 claim is "honesty and integrity" -- turfed Turner out on his ear, this drone immediately glommed onto the other maggots' paradise of the pub[l]ic skrewl system, wherein more self-righteous maggot drones are programmed to be nothing more than consuming excreting animals in a declining system about to collapse hated by both its subjects foreign and domestic.

Yes, the public school system needs to be defunded and its captive audience of institutionalized children set free of the likes of Turner. Last month, Turner was shrieking like a maggot deprived of new fodder over Glenn Beck telling the Tea Partyiers that they need to take out tax money as well as their children from the pub[l]ic skrewls. Turner then yapped about how the current regimen of drone-programming just had to continue because otherwise . . . . liberal drones like Turner would be out of a job programming more worthless drones like Turner.

In a free society, Turner and Turner's army of murmuring mattoids would be free to publish whatever they wanted, and to create as many other mattoid drones as they pleased -- at theys' own expense. The children of ordinary citizens do not belong to them, nor does tax money from their parents or anyone else.

Thus Turner can of course publish his blog and, admitting that Turner has lost the public debate on his own blog, Turner can block commentary at [s]will, and thus admit that he never was or is able to deal with free men able and willing to think for themselves. Of course Turner and his sock-puppet ass-clowns routinely threaten to declare their moral and intellectual bankruptcy by closing the comments section whenever hearing a disparaging word from hostile readers with their own opinions upon whose minds pub[l]ic edumacation didn't take much hold.

As a way to get from the current degenerate state to freedom, private school vouchers, cutting property taxes, and closing down marginal schools, limiting taxpayer-funded public education to three years from the ages of ten to fourteen for the purpose only of teaching the Three-R's or reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic, closing down and privatizing higher edumacation by closing state universities and abolishing the state-sponsored accreditation and licensing systems (which have the sole process of limiting education and training to politically connected parasites) and any other measures to separate schools and the State.

We have an Internet system to use as a library and a school. We simply don't need drones like Turner and Turner-like drones to function as toll-keepers any more. Since Turner and his fellow drones are no longer necessary at the local and regional level, let them be sent out to live in the real world, to either perish or to change their parasitical world-view and become actually productive people living on their own dime.

It also looks like quite a few people are less than enamored with Turner. That Turner needs adult supervision is the consensus, and the Management of the Carthage Press did, and the school board should, grow tired of bothering with someone needing such great amounts of moral and mental supervision to not run amok.

My point is that Turner and those like Turner idiotically insist that it is all management's fault, and not manning up and taking responsibility for theys' part in the collapse of local and regional lie-papers. They were the first at fault. Anyone able to think for himself got into the habit of going to the Internet to read their news. A parasitical Management eating their own seed-corn is finishing the process. But when the big maggots kill and eat the littler maggots, it is hard not to cheer when it is the littler maggots like Turner who are now finding out that what goes around to others eventually comes around to them.

3:06 PM

============

Mein Twattt!!!

Elizabeth Lundstrum sez:

Okay, people Break It UP. This discussion was not an invite to neuter Randy Turner. This was a comment on the demise of newspapers. This is not a local issue- this is happening all around the country. I believe the New York Time is going strictly web based.

Don't get me wrong- I love newspapers. I like the physical feel for them and also the local reporters passionate views of their topics. I love magazines and paper books. For me and my generation. this will never be replaced by Kindles or e-books, or e- papers. But let us face the facts- the production of paper products has increased. Paying staff, selling copies, and distribution are sinking newspapers and publishers.

Also, I can read something on an internet news source at least 10 hours before it hits the paper. The internet has basically scooped the paper business.

The push by certain climate groups for "greener " practices by businesses has also hurt newspapers. Paper is made from wood, bleached with chemicals and than the ink is used. Disposal is expensive. Yes, you can recycle but many just want us to be a paperless society- "save the trees, save the earth".

My last point is that I know Randy Turner personally. You have not worked with him, had him as a teacher, had a child in his class, or even read his stuff. You read his blog for what? information, fun, to post petty insults? I am pretty much sure that you are exercising your first amendment rights by telling him your opinion (behind an anonymous post) but he is also exercising his. Get a life and read something else.....

7:04 PM

Mein Twattt!!!

I suffer from solipsism.

But I don't contemplate my navel, I contemplate my PUSSY !!!

Originally posted by Trying to Tell Head Tard Betty How it Works
    It is simply not credible to say that "the editors and reporters on the front lines" are blameless when they are delivering center-left to hard left editorial content to a center-right country.

5:30 AM

Cousin Swillis Gumpf Turner/Flyswatter sez:

Betty, you might be the Head ReTard in the local Tard Corral known as the pub[l]ic skrewel system, but you are simply wasting your time trying to treat grown white men as one of your little idiot tards regardless of whether, judging by your ability to use the English language and ability to 'think' you must have put the 'Special' in Special Edumacation. If anyone needs to get a life, it is you, and for what it is worth I think that you are fit for nothing other than maybe drawing a plow when the Social Order goes down another few notches after the Great Collapse.

Like all drones and parasites in a declining System about to collapse, you seek to whine that this collapse is caused by the predators and parasites who are simply mopping up. The fact of the matter is that the inmates now run the asylum, and as a result the rest of us simply fled it, which is why we home-school our children and don't want to pay higher and higher taxes for you liberal idiots any more.

Turner and those like Turner essentially destroyed the lie-papers because the minute there was an alternative to getting the news of the day, we went onto the Internet, created our own blogs, web pages, and alternative media. We networked and created our own alternative media and schools of thought. We no longer need your kind any more. And thus, we sit and gloat while the former mainstream media is simply looted for what is left, leaving the former parasites who did the grunt work of lying and sleazing being left high and dry to starve.

Now insofar as whether we know Randy Turner better than you do, Liz. You think you know Turner better than we do because you are a drone parasite just like Turner is. Some of us have known Turner its entire life and despised Turner because Turner is a liar, coward and degenerate. Regrettably 'tolerance' leads to toleration of that which should have been eliminated when found. Turner wore away at the patience of the Carthage Press management and readers, and when an excuse was found to rid themselves of Turner, Turner was run off, chop, chop.

If I had a child 'under' Turner, then I'd be kicking up a fit to where that wouldn't happen, or Turner would be teaching children whose parents don't much care how they turn out -- which is the majority. In my father's day, critters like Turner wouldn't have been allowed to teach children in any case.

You parasites are like dinosaurs. You have recreated the world in your image with the result that the social order is on the verge of collapse and simply can't afford to keep you drones and parasites up any more. State and local governments have had to turn loose you useless, evil eaters. Just as the media is in terminal decline because nobody wants their product and a poorer population can't afford to pay the salaries, wages and pensions of the media, likewise nobody really wants you degenerate liberal idiots anywhere near their kids and no longer can pay high property taxes. As a result, soon enough most of you parasites will be out on your ears and out on the street.

Insofar as whether Turner decides to censor the comments section of his blog, if Turner wishes to admit defeat in the war of ideas, then fine by me. Turner never was one to allow free speech when he ran the local lie-paper, and neither are most editors. That's why none of us buy lie-papers anymore unless we are in it. Whatever Turner censors will doubtless show up in another blog in any case.

It definitely is a high-lite of my golden years to see what James Kunstler calls you 'Yeast People' dying off from the toxins from your own foul byproducts after a long decline and season of starvation.

No, Randy Turner and his fellow corps of liars in the media destroyed the foundations first. When us, the disgusted, found the Internet, we left and never looked back. Now all the moneymen are draining what is left in the corpse, nothing more.

6:19 PM

Originally posted by gliberal whigger/mamzer pooper&scooter

All of you that are bitching about Randy Turner, keep this in mind... You do not have to read a single thing he has written, you are not forced to believe anything you don't want to. I'm not sure what you complainers believe in, but you are a typical bunch of Republican "againers". If you didn't say it or you don't believe it, then you are again it, and to you its obviously wrong for anyone else to think otherwise. Yep, I work in public and hear your kind every day. Most of them are also called "Baptists".

Now take after this, won't you say doesn't make one little bit of difference to me.

4:26 AM

Swillis Gumpf Turner/Flyswatter 4 sez:

All of you liberal trough feeders who support Randy Turner keep this in mind . . . .

The responses to Turner's silliness involves arguing as to what has finished off the liepapers and mainstream media (MSM). Turner and Liz and the other fools want to blame the looting maggots which are cleaning off the bones off the corpse. Myself and a few others want to put the blame for the initial decline squarely where it belongs -- on Tuner and his corps of like-minded drones who made the lie-papers unreadable and not even remotely honest, triggering the first exodus of working white males and taxpayers who resolved to not pay to read lies aimed against their own interests. So along came the Internet and off went we. We formed our own media for which we pay nothing except if we want to support our own media with our own efforts. Now Turner and the rest of you liberal parasites are whining that since we don't need your kind any more, that we are taking our attention, children, and soon tax dollars elsewhere.

Something that you parasites only dimly understand is rushing up to bite you: The host -- us -- don't need the parasites -- you. You parasites, on the other hand, need us, and cannot prosper or even live when we close our minds, wallets, and doors to the likes of you. You all are parasitical drones surplus to society and thus are left to make it on your own.

Now to these realities, like all liberals you whine and say given the shambles of the New Reality facing you which you created and to which we reacted, "Well, I meant well!!!!" Which is a lie that you liberals tell in order to advance your parasitism in the first place. Your kind was always evil and stupid and vicious, and the end result will put paid to the likes of you.

So, again. Turner can at any time close the comments section to hostile commentary using any excuse Turner pleases. But in doing so, Turner declares moral and mental bankruptcy. And while I and the rest are sure that Turner might well think that he has no choice but to admit defeat, whining and sitting in a corner pissing hisself and having other liberal parasites pulling his finger is certainly no victory.

7:11 AM

===========

Cousin Randy's Lying Blog, The Turner Report

My Truthful Blog, The Turner Diaries

Ewelene still misses Cousin Randy, the slut!!!

Decline & Death of the jewsmedia

Obituaries and the death of newspapers

http://rturner229.blogspot.com/2012/...ewspapers.html
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=6004#post6004

(The following is my latest column for the Newton County News and blog post for Daily Kos, the only two places that let me whine like a faggot.)

In a few years, people will probably wonder what the fuss was about the rapid decline of newspaper popularity in the early 21st century.

Historians will argue whether the final nail in the coffin came from chain ownership (a safe bet), arrogance (another safe bet and might just be a synonym for chain ownership), or technology. My Cousin Swillis Gumpff-Turner will say it was because the jewspapers were filled with gliberal whigger butthole faggots like me and that the readers -- at least those with White Men able to read and think for themselves -- simply decided to stop reading stupid lying shit that would only make them pissed off. And then cum the Internet . . . .

Or it could just be that newspapers are dying because of the way they have treated the dead.

At one time, all small to medium-sized newspapers in the United States ran complete obituaries of everyone who died. It didn’t matter if it were the richest man or town or the town drunk, a 102-year-old who lived her entire life in the community or an infant, the passage was considered newsworthy. It allowed supercilious ZOGling whigger faggots one last chance to virtually sodomize those that we didn't like, and therefore helped finish off the jewspapers because people would plain refuse to read this shit unless it concerned them directly.

It was not only a matter of fairness, but it was good business. Everyone had an investment in the local newspaper and the obituary pages always ranked at the top in readership surveys. Them old buzzards who were the only ones even reading the liepapers did so in order to figure out which one of them had croaked off first.

That common sense approach to journalism began to die when newspaper owners (dirty jews mainly, but also a lot of thieving piece-of-shit whiggers and anglo-mestizos), after running away advertisers with a glut of special sections and greed to boost the kind of profit margins that other businesses could only dream of, began to think of the deaths of human beings as just another revenue source.

I was the editor of the Carthage Press, at least until reader and pub[l]ic cumplaints cooncerning my lies and stupid crooked shit woke up the publisher and he decided to get rid of my stupid lying presumably faggot ass, a small Missouri daily in the 1990s when the regional newspaper, the Joplin Globe, (or perhaps I should say the chain of thieving jewboys that owned the newspaper at that time) decided to charge for obituaries. If your family paid, your death was newsworthy. If not, it received a brief mention, including the time and place for the funeral service. High jewrnanalism, middle jewrnanalism, low jewranalism.

Perhaps it is just coincidence, but from that point on, I have seen a deterioration in the Globe as a community newspaper. Of course the pissing and shitting and anointing thereof and sticking a pin through the paper doll that I got from my faggot Haitian voo-doo lover might have helped too. When the biggest newspaper in the area began charging for the service, it was only a matter of time before all of them did. Thankfully, by the time that happened, I was a teacher and was no longer in the newspaper business because pretty much everyone from the publisher to the readers thought it was time for me to move on. They were hoping for me to get into somethang noble and useful like pig farming but me and my mangina ached to teach the sodomistic lil' gaywads of a rising new [de]-generation some new 'tricks' so I got into edjewmacation.

When the Globe moved into the internet era and established a website, it maintained the same division -- obituaries for those who could afford it, and death notices for those who could not. Which of course stood to reason because if you could read it offn' Da Internut, why pay to look for the same thang in a dead tree?

This week, that approach changed. Whine-roll whigga puh-leeeze!!!

Now if you visit the Globe website and want to know when or where a funeral is going to take place, you have to either be a subscriber to the print edition or to the Globe’s e-edition. It doesn’t matter if you are a friend or family member from out of state who has no connection with Joplin and no need for subscribe to a Joplin newspaper, if you don’t, you’re out of luck. Of course if you still read that stupid jewspaper, then jew're DEFINITELY shit out of luck.

The timing was bad for the hard working staff at the Joplin Globe. During the past year, it has received well-deserved attention from across the nation, including a recent documentary about its courageous response to the May 22, 2011, tornado, that killed 161 people, including one Globe staff member, and displaced about a third of the Globe’s workers. Me, I've gotten into the Anne Frank-en-faggot jewplin hollowco$t aspect of this shit, churning out two quickie books.

The Globe’s corporate management, the good folks at Community Newspapers Holding, apparently decided it was time for its newspapers to milk a few cents more out of the death industry just like me trying to milk the very last few drops offn' some lil' gaywad's meatstraw.

I am sure it will not be long before someone sets up a website where obituaries can be found and when that happens another reason to read newspapers will have vanished forever -- the same fate as classified ads and eventually legal notices when people come to the realization that the only reason those are still in newspapers is to prop up their bottom line -- the taxpayers would probably be served just as well in this day and age by having legal notices posted on internet sites. Just so long as that Martin 'Mad Dog' Lindstedt don't get to use that service. Did you know that there is a faggot dating site on Craigslist, jewbook, and a lot of discreet sites?

Writing these words does not come easily to me. I have loved newspapers since I was six years old and my dad, a truck driver, brought me copies of the Kansas City Star and Tulsa World to read, then said, "Buck up you little faggot. Damn, why couldn't I have shot me a good wad like my brother Swillis did? Marge, haven't you managed to housebreak this lil' faggot yet? I'm tired of having to keep on bringing home these damned liepapers all the time" . We always had subscriptions to the Joplin Globe, Neosho Daily News and the Newton County News because I never could manage to get quite completely housebroke what with my stretched out sphincter even then. I spent 22 years as a newspaper reporter and editor and loved every minute of it. The readers, for theys' part, thought differently from day one. The rapid decline of newspapers breaks my heart, my achy breaky heart, fart, fart but it still might blow up and kill this 'man.' Where was I? Oh yes, pontifuckating. So about the management of the liepapers, once they started being just another stock market commodity instead of a public service, they sealed their own fate.

When, and if, the newspaper industry dies, a victim of its own greed and incompetence, I am sure there will be some venue where its obituary will be written -- and no one will have to pay to see it. And there will be much rejoicing.

___666___666___666___

The Turner Diaries RULES, The Turner Report drools

Comment

Decline & Death of the jewsmedia

Newspapers need to stop whining, restore trust with public

By Wesley Pruden - The Washington Times
      Thursday, June 20, 2019

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-public-stop-/
      http://christian-identity.net/forum/...9898#post19898
      http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...9898#post19898

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

Newspapers are feeling under the gun. People don’t want to pay for what they’re selling. The sweet aroma of paper and ink, the bang and clatter of hundreds of typewriters that evaporated in the clouds of tobacco smoke that once made newsrooms dark and mysterious cave-like places, the thunder of rows of printing presses, must give way to timid tapping on plastic keyboards. The newspaper game is up.

The worse news is that readers don’t want to pay for the online digital substitute, either.

“Swiftly accelerating mobile internet and smartphones have revolutionized the delivery of news and destroyed the business model of many news organizations over the past 20 years,” concludes a study by the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, “leading to falling revenue, layoffs and takeovers.”

In its annual Digital News Report, the institute found that most people would not pay for online news, and the percentage of the declining number who would has increased only slowly over the past six years.

Indeed, the smarter newspaper publishers concluded long ago that newspapers made a mortal mistake by making their news reports free in the dawn of the digital age, thinking free samples would swell circulation numbers and show prospective subscribers what they would miss if they didn’t pay up.

Hard-headed businessmen and business women, ranging from corner grocers to automobile mechanics to bordello madams, could have told them that you can’t make a profit on your product by giving it away. The mass migration of advertising to technology giants such as Facebook, Google and Amazon, the Institute says, has hammered revenues while more than half of the world’s population now has access to news via an Internet connection.

“Much of the population is perfectly happy with the news they can access for free,” says Rasmus Kleis Nielsen, director of the Reuters Institute, “even amongst those who are willing to pay are willing to sign up for only one subscription. A lot of the public is really alienated from a lot of the journalism they see. They don’t find it particularly trustworthy, they don’t find it particularly relevant and they don’t find it leaves them in a better place.”

It’s not just Donald Trump who sees a lot what he reads as fake news. The golden age of paper and ink may be beyond the ability of publishers to summon it back to our times, and rebuilding trust by telling it like it is, is something a lot of publishers — and their editors — are not eager to do.

A.G. Sulzberger, the publisher of The New York Times which was once the gold standard for “all the news that’s fit to print,” insists that it’s all Mr. Trump’s fault. Or most of it. “First it was ‘the failing New York Times,’” he put in writing the other day. “Then it was ‘fake news.’ Then ‘enemy of the people.’ President Trump’s escalating attacks on The New York Times have paralleled his broader barrage on American media. He’s gone from misrepresenting our business, our integrity, to demonizing our journalists with a phrase that’s been used by generations of demagogues.”

The Donald has in fact been known to go over the top with criticism of his critics, including newspapermen. He accused The New York Times the other day of “a virtual act of treason” after the newspaper published an account of U.S. cyber incursions into the Russian electrical grid. This might have been unwise, inappropriate or other mild descriptions of reckless behavior. Mr. Sulzberger could have revealed his distaste for the president (which would have surprised nobody) without revealing the Trump government’s strategy.

It’s true, as Mr. Sulzberger says, that treason is a crime so grave that it is prohibited in the Constitution, and it is indeed punishable by death. But Mr. Sulzberger is in no danger of climbing to the gallows (and if he is ever threatened by a hangman’s rope I will contribute to his defense fund).

Mr. Sulzberger’s readers can decide whether his newspaper is fair, as he says it is, but as newspaper feuds with presidents go, The New York Times vs. Donald Trump is the stuff of slugging it out with cream puffs. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were accused of many indelicate things. Newspaper editors in dozens of towns and cities across the land have prudently put a pistol in their pockets on the way to church.

A newspaper, which buys ink by the barrel, is big enough to stand up even to a president, and complaints about “the pain and awfulness of it all” will always echo as a whine. Newspapers have their problems, and none of them will be resolved by pitiful cries for mercy. Trust is what needs fixing.

Wesley Pruden is editor in chief emeritus of The Washington Times.

Comment

Working...
      X