Clear All

Apocalypse RV -- Part One

Apocalypse RV

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2012...d-fiction.html
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=6012#post6012

[SIZE="4"]book review and fiction- Apocalypse RV

BOOK REVIEW-THE PROFESSION[
    /SIZE]

“The Profession” by Steven Pressfield is a near future tale of mercenary armies. Lately, what with steroid bulked brain dead idiots spraying fully automatic fire into crowds of Muslim civilians, the name mercenary has gotten a bad name. So, as if on a mission from God, Mr. Pressfield has set out to sing their glories from the rooftops and can I get an amen, brother?

Not since the late 1970’s when a vet named Brown started a small circulation magazine named Soldier Of Fortune have mercenaries been so revered and used to turn a profit from their authors. Now, I was one of those little idiots in the seventies, far too busy popping pimples and bemoaning my fate as an inmate in the public school system to pay attention to disco or what I only later learned was the last era of wild and crazy guys, so I immersed myself into saner inner worlds of fantasy to include Dungeons And Dragons and the exciting overseas conflicts populated by mercenary warriors. I loved mercs, and bought what I thought was their official magazine for many a year. Nowadays, I’m not exactly a great fan boy. I could care less how many towel head’s get killed as collateral damage, but I don’t much care for scumbags that help the fedgov disarm those who in theory live in a country that was founded with a document that laid out the rules as had been naturally endowed to its inhabitants, rules which prohibited the government from ever abridging those rights. But these pricks are taking their thirty pieces of silver to do just that, all the while vigorously rubbing the flag against their junk in a pathetic dance of fake patriotism.

However, even with my distaste for the modern mercs, one has to honestly portray this book as more of a tale about warriors and their code rather than just a love fest for mercenaries. After reading this novel, I have to say it seemed a fair treatment of the code of the warrior, so I’ll allow my displeasure to subside. At one time I had considered myself for the profession, albeit quickly withdrawn due to total unsuitability. I was also able to withstand over a hundred pages of densely packed acronyms.

The first half of the book is data dumped with both geopolitical back story and a God awful amount of acronyms. You might think I love those little bastards, using them so much myself ( GRIFFIN, glacial retreat flash flooding or PODA, peak oil dark ages ), but the truth is that I despise them and am poking fun at the insanity. The military is so bloated with useless add on information that you must process back into standard English, from having to calculate 24 time back to 12, to having to figure out how many miles are in a klick, to translating acronyms, it is a wonder any action takes place as we are all standing there with a blank look in our eyes as our overloaded brain tries to process. It would be one thing if the initials made sense. NATO is the actual name of an organization and needn’t be translated if there is no desire. But the other crap, like MDFRGOR ( I just made it up- I think ) for Multi-Directional Forward Rear Ground Operating Radar is not intuitive and requires too much processing power to stay functional. How about “penetrating radar”?

What I took away from this book was, it is basically sci-fi novel roughly paralleling the non-fiction geopolitical book “A Century Of War”. Of course, that’s just me. I doubt the author ever read “Century”. But beyond the Warrior Elite Tale, I loved the politics and economics and such.

Oh, I could tear apart this book if I wished. Such as, are you humping kidding me with the reanimation of all oil fields by a wishful thinking nitrogen injection process that allows the whole ball of wax to stay tightly bundled twenty years from now!!!???? And, please, as if we don’t have to worry about a dictator taking over the country and crapping on the Constitution for twenty years???!!!! That boat sailed generations ago. But, hey, if you just read it for pleasure, understanding it is a sausage fest for warriors which unfortunately embraces asshat mercs, you will enjoy the story. Don’t buy the book for a fiction account on Peak Oil or the realignment of political power or any future prophesy, but for a well written tale of a fighter in the mostly modern world. That’s all it is, and it was done rather well. If you try to take too much away from all the back story you will just disappoint yourself. Yes, at times it was uneven. I had to read small chunks at a time for the first half, the information overload too intense. And the second half was more conventional. But all in all, a recommended, well written novel.

END REVIEW. SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE.

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. Or, visit
    http://bisonpress.com/affiliatebooks.html

You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
    Yet another feeble attempt at fiction. Part One of hopefully a lot more.

APOCALYPSE RV

I was going to have to steal an RV. It was a risky move, because nothing had yet happened as far as the economy taking a big squishy shit and dooming us all to a quick death of civilization collapse. But of course if you waited long enough to be sure then there wouldn’t be too many riches left to loot, steal or purchase. And if you acted hastily you might end up in jail which is no place to spend the collapse.

I mean, no one wants to go to jail. Or maybe it’s prison. I suppose there is a difference, one being a holding cell run by the county or city and the other a “long term facility” run by a higher level of government. Something like that. The short term one isn’t as much of a horror story, or so I’ve heard. I have my doubts.

Anymore, the private goons hired by the government so they can save on medical and retirement think nothing of shoving their fist up your ass to elbow deep searching for contraband, and you are only in there for a traffic stop. It would actually be too expensive to hire another clerk to segregate the prisoners according to crime severity or hostility level so everyone gets treated like Charles Manson upon entering. And, if they are too lazy to spend the money to keep up the façade of civil rights observation than surely they won’t go through the trouble of making sure your red light running ass doesn’t get bunked up with a glue sniffing monkey molesting mass murderer who the very first night pries apart your virgin anal orifice and humps you dry, his groans of pleasure drowning out your whimpers. Then, five years later you discover you have AIDS and nobody believes you were in prison, or jail as the case may be, because you never got busted for anything more severe than a traffic stop, so obviously you must be an intravenous drug user or a flaming queen. So, on one pretext or another you get fired, and if not fired only because your boss is himself a bit limp wrested and you can choose to either perform oral gratification upon his person or get terminated, and you lose the wife and kids and can choose to pay child support even if you don’t have a job or go back to jail and so the gruesome circle of Hell keeps feeding on itself because if you don’t pay up you get sent back to jail you might at least have the satisfaction of infecting the butt humper of a cell mate but you still must go through the whole violation part of it again which is absolutely nobodies idea of fun. And, it might not just be that but the inmate might also shiv you when he is done because his manhood is so undersized that with your previous humping and the advance of years your sphincter has loosened and you aren’t tight enough to deliver any satisfaction to your date for the night.

So, while prison is bad enough as it is in times of plenty, come the collapse you will be locked up behind bars, with a hurt and throbbing asshole, and soon enough if you don’t die in a racially inspired riot you will die as the water is shut down and food isn’t delivered. So, post-apocalypse wise, prison is absolutely out of the question. It simply isn’t an option. And, really? An RV? Who in name of God needs a gas guzzling recreational vehicle when the gas runs out and there is no more propane to run the appliances, you innocently ask. Well, let me tell you, this beautiful head of hair is much more than a hat rack. I actually use it once in a blue moon to think, ponder and pontificate. Have you ever tried to get a group of people together to prepare for the end of the world? Frankly, the task of herding cats is simple in comparison. Even if you could find a few folks living near you, no one is worried about the same kind of probable problems and nobody is willing to join together unless they themselves are in charge.

The closest I’ve heard of, and that is a bit of a cheat but at least it lasted long term which almost no group ever does because of the two aforementioned factors, was Rawles ( author of “Patriots” and media darling blogger ) and his college or military buddies. And they are all scattered about the country so long distant bug outs complicate an otherwise perfect plan ( I’d also wager it worked because one person, the property owner, was by default in charge ).

The typical survivalist you’ll never meet is pig headed independent. Which makes sense, because otherwise how could they go against societies convictions; buck the tides so to speak, and endeavor to prepare for the end. Loners do not make for good group members. If you belonged to the mass of lemmings, only acting in an approved manner by squeezing into suburbia with debt equaling 90% of your wages as a cubicle warrior, you wouldn’t be allowed to stray far enough away to seek a modicum of self sufficiency or independence. By the nature of its members, groups of survivalists are impossible.

So I had chosen the much easier route, even if it was far less desirable. I had provisioned enough supplies for a circle of friends to survive. Not that I had told them about it. You tell one person, the balloon goes up and twenty complete strangers show up two minutes later. You forbid most to enter, the original member feels compelled to defend them, you put your foot down by shooting one to make a point, pretty soon everyone is shouting and yelling and picking sides and it is the OK Corral all over again and you might get hurt.

But time had run out and I was far from ready to provide shelter for everyone. I wasn’t rich, nor very talented, so I was on a strict regimen of frugal survival preparations. I had basic foodstuffs and weapons, but I hadn’t yet been able to swing the purchase of a large shelter. I only had a small eight by eight cabin on my property, and you can’t throw six to eight people in a place that small over many days of freezing cold weather. An RV was far from ideal, but still a major improvement. And it was self mobile, a consideration since I was miles from paved road and didn’t have the money for a major purchase at Home Depot. Hell, an RV being a less than ideal abode was far from the most pressing problem.

As I said, we weren’t in full blown meltdown yet. Most survivalists are by nature frightened little rodents, nervously poking their heads above their underground entrances, sniffing the air for any sign of large hungry reptiles. They buy a few cans of freeze dried soybean offal and buy a cool looking plastic carbine and by not paying too much attention to the details they are then convinced that they can survive an asteroid impact followed by a nuclear war followed by stampedes of city folk bugging out. If they actually thought things through a bit they would stay afraid, and that won’t do. That curious American trait of pasting on a happy face and pretending all is well. Okay, that might be a common trait throughout history, all successful empires are full of folks fat, happy and unable to comprehend the coming meltdown as once again yet another agricultural empire overpopulated and used up their resources.

I mean, look at these assholes. Every best selling survival author, and it is far more than just finances anymore like it was in the seventies with Howard Ruff and the like -- now you have cool stuff like global warning and solar flares and super volcanoes and what not to worry about -- every swinging dingus out there follows the same tired bull of first presenting the problem and them telling us how to change our behavior to make sure we all experience a safe if bumpy landing. And the behavior we are asked to change is fundamental human behavior. You can’t change that kind of behavior because it has been evolutionarily hard wired into us. Oh, a few groups here and there might succeed in mimicking the called for changes and actually get away with it because they were accidentally bypassed by the surrounding bandits, but the majority of people will follow the basic script. Overpopulation and resource depletion was what brought them to power in the first place and the those same two actions which are causing the collapse are the hair of the dog that is going to save you from yourselves.

Dirty Hippy Harry, author of “Hug A Tree And Save The World”, thinks that if we can only just hug each other around an old Wiccan burial site, our glorious manes of hair fluttering in the breeze as we sway to the music of Gaia standing about in our Birkenstocks after driving there in our Prius electric cars, and solemnly pinkie promise each other that surely we can all just get along, and if we change our light bulbs to fluorescents run by solar panels we can all indeed live happily ever after in an orgasmically groovy paradise of earth. Newsflash, Harry, our country was founded by uptight religious pricks that met every Sunday, took turns shoving broomsticks up each others asses to ensure the proper level of piety, found the proper passage in the Bible that preached indigenous population genocide, and stole this country jam friggin packed with enough resources to last a hundred lifetimes. God indeed was good and generous, but only if you wore a shoe buckle on a funny looking hat.

Seriously, who was the designer these guys paid? A buckle on your hat? Was this because you might need a back up one day? You just got done punishing a wicked transgressor against the supreme will of Baby Jesus, the evil bastard deciding that it was okay to clip his toenails on a Sunday, and all the physical exertion forcing him into the stocks so the faithful could pelt Lucifer’s Minion with rotted fruit and farm animal offal, why, you done popped the buckle off your shoe. Fearfully, you quickly take the back-up off your hat so you could re-attach your footwear. One can never be too careful keeping ones thoughts pure so it is best to never show any foot flesh, least ones peers experience lustful fancies.

A buckle on your hat just doesn’t make any sense to me. Of course, what sense is there in today’s fashions? A vest, perhaps. I think the only function that it had at one time was to hold ones pocket watch ( “I say, Frederick, it’s almost been twelve hours. We simply must water the peasants on the factory line or the simpletons might pass out and damage some piece of equipment” ), but let’s make a stretch of things and assume one could use it today as, say, another layer of clothing to stay warmer in the winter. If you are a highly paid big muckeemuck in an investment firm, it simply won’t do to allow the cubicle hired help to see you in an unsightly ensemble of a bulky down jacket over your Brooks Brothers suit. You must appear above the human mass, a deity all your own, unburdened by such trivialities as the cold. The vest allows you to maintain this illusion. Your torso has the added clothing, you stay warmer. The peons, seeing you manly brave the elements, actually start to assume that paper currency is actually wealth and that growth can last forever. The vest is an awesome swath of fabric.

Now, the tie. The tie, she is a bit of a mystery. All it does is restrict the blood flow to the brain. No, I don’t have scientific proof, but look at the results. You wear a tie. Essentially this marks you as a Charles In Charge. You are a step above your peers. And ninety nine times out of a hundred, you are a complete moron. You blindly follow the rules some asshole wrote down a hundred years ago. Here he was, a stopwatch in one hand and a clipboard in the other, timing the task each assembly line worker performed. You really think that was an accurate reading? Do you think that pace was sustainable for a twelve hour shift?

Remember the movie Schindler’s List? Myself, I thought the whole thing was a Heeb piece of propaganda. Not that I have anything against Jews or the state of Israel. I actually admire their willingness to fuck anybody up that so much as hints at being a threat. It only took them a few thousand years to grow a set of testicles ( a few nuclear tipped missiles, I’m sure supplied by us, surely helped in that growth ). What I find annoying is the whole “we’re the globes number one class of victims, feel sorry for us” schtick. You have your own country, you have a fleet of subs that will fuse any attackers into a radioactive sheet of glass, your army usually wins its wars. Stop whining about the Holocaust. You are just embarrassing yourself ( I’ll leave alone whether the thing actually happened ).

Anyway, the part of the movie I enjoyed was when the worker was timed by the concentration camp commander in some task. The worker, thinking if he didn’t hustle the commander would feed his testicles to the German Shepherds, performed in record time. The commander then wanted to know why his whole shift performance wasn’t as speedy. I think the commander had him killed then. Of course, this was pure propaganda, as was the scene in which a random prisoner was shot by the commander. The message of course was that the commander was a psycho little freak, but it totally ignores the culture of the Germans. You did as you were told, and you were told in detail, and usually you enjoyed it.

The whole point of the camps was not to get rid of the Jews, although that was certainly a huge bonus as those boys didn’t want the gene pool contaminated ( which of course bit them on the ass since all the Jews developed the atom bomb ) but to exploit all that free labor. Free labor substituted for lack of fuel. Work them to death, strip the corpse of valuables, then burn them for hygienic reasons. If you’ll remember in the movie, all those piles of gold teeth fillings, the piles of shoes and clothes? Nothing was wasted, because the war machine needed everything. So, if nothing was wasted, and if meticulous records were kept of everything, what makes you think the commander would be allowed to waste valuable workers by killing them for fun, then lying about how they died? Those were not his instructions. If you are going to spend fifty million bucks on a propaganda piece, can we at least get one that follows its own internal logic properly? Am I asking too much?

Now, even though those evil Nazi pricks starved all those poor defenseless workers ( I’m not trivializing the suffering of the victims, but it bewilders me that so few Jews fought back. Even to this day, look at the number of pampered protected Jews who embrace the new Fuehrer and trust him enough to actively call for gun control. The stupid fucks have learned nothing from history ), and being starved certainly effects your cognitive powers, surely some of them figured out to limit their performance under their abilities. It just makes sense. If you get sick, do you want the boss to see you lag in performance? No, your speed should be 50%, then if you are injured or sick, you can still achieve that same benchmark. I’m sure those poor bastards that survived the camps had this figured out ( well, it was that or be a snitch or turncoat ). And I’m sure that American workers had this figured out when that jagoff wearing the tie was around. And yet the modern managers all worship their predecessors who came up with these studies. See? Proof positive that ties make you a damn idiot.

So, between tie wearing managers, survival gurus who claimed that by changing our spots we could all survive forever after, because their publisher was one of those idiots wearing a tie and demanded that all doom and gloom books carry a positive message on the end because hermits living in a cave will buy zero books in the future, and our natural inclination to both cling to the status quo because of the past financial bets we made, plus the males need to procreate even if it ends his life and the females need to look successful and desirable above all other rivals, almost nobody really wants to prepare for surviving the end of their civilization. They might make feeble gestures, then congratulate themselves vigorously at their efforts no matter how inappropriate or pathetic, but for the most part nobody wants to really put much effort into things. They will go overboard once the collapse is evident, but none will take the actions truly necessary beforehand. That is were I planned on beating the herd. Because those hundreds of years of resources our Pilgrim ancestors stole fair and square from the indigs ( despite such movies as “Dances With Wolves” -- a wonderful flick but a bit on the Wishful Thinking That The Nobel Red Man Was A Tree Hugger -- the Indians were no different than the white boys. They used up their resources by overpopulating and then used warfare to steal their neighbors food to stay alive ) was pretty much already done used up and gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Even if we all put solar panels on our McMansions we were going to hit Peak Everything ( and have already hit many resource peaks. Coal, as measured in delivered BTU, peaked a decade ago in this country. We might mine twice as such as before, but the energy it delivers is in aggregate less because we only have low grade coal left. Peak Oil for the US was in 1971. Even adding Alaska, The Gulf and North Dakota, we are pumping far less than before. And Saudi Arabia won’t save us as they are at peak themselves. Even if Abiotic Oil theory is correct, if the replenish rate is far below use rate it is still Game Over. Even Peak Phosphorus in the 80’s which is needed in agriculture ) and that is the end of Pax Americana.

The richest won’t survive. Their comprehension of necessities verses luxury is so skewed that both their supplies will be lacking as well as their fortitude. Only those willing to go Genghis immediately, with a proper grasp on strategy, and the proper location with a large dash of luck are going to survive the coming collapse. You must be at the right place at the right time, and then have enough intelligence to not fuck up your one opportunity. I could still fuck up this wet dream ( how do you fuck up a wet dream? Wake up and jerk off ) but I planned on giving it my best to survive, which wasn’t by wearing Birkenstocks and a peace necklace listening to the Grateful Dead as I hoed my asparagus. How these brain dead humps can imagine that they will be left in peace while the world starves is beyond my comprehension. Nobody, once hungry enough, will observe another’s property rights. The human race has survived by forceful limited resource redistribution. I might be too old to care if I live or die in the process, but I’m sure going to have fun playing the game.

End part one.

Posted by James M Dakin at 7:00 AM WEDNESDAY, MAY 23, 2012
    http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/

Comment

Apocalypse RV- part 2

Apocalypse RV -- part 2

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2012...rv-part-2.html
      http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=6027#post6027

The history of idiots declaring the imminent collapse of civilization is lengthy and its members infamous.

How many in the 70’s declared that the Uranus Emperor was going to vaporize the entire Earth globe and the only hope for rescue was to drop acid, then kill yourself in an apparent act of piety that would prove yourself to the pilots of the Mother Ship, assuring you had a place in the berth for one of a select few immigrants? Well, you probably never heard of that one, most likely because there were no survivors. Not that it didn’t happen.

Jesus Freaks have been herding the faithful to the tops of mountains ( the elevated difference an extremely important distinction since if you were too low the powers of your divine deity of choice were insufficient to elevate you up into the Promised Land. Or, perhaps it was that these dudes were hip to the important fact only known to themselves and their disciples that God was just a disguise for said Uranus Emperor and while deities might be able to actually suck your fat ass up from the lowest elevation, say several hundred feet below sea level in some forsaken craphole of a barren desert ( and, shall we even ask why the desert was were all the important religions got started? Was it because God liked the heat? Were minor gods such as Odin ill favored because they thought the epitome of a good time was getting frost bite on your junk?

I’d think that any god worthy of worship was more into the whole garden scene. Trees, flowers, buzzing bees and unicorns at the ends of rainbows ), it is a well known fact that the pull from an extra terrestrial intergalactic vessel was limited and it was essential that those wishing for rescue better get to the top of the highest hill around or they were completely shit outta luck. Hell, even the military ships were only capable of about fifty percent more power, not enough for below sea level rescue. Just ask any anal probe abductee survivor -- they’ll tell you.

And why would you want to go to another planet to survive? I’d wager that would be worse than immigrating to Paris in case the Krauts ever invaded England. Hell, I wouldn’t even visit Mexico way back before the failed narco state of today, and that was for no better reason than I was afraid my pale ass would end up in prison if I didn’t have enough of a bribe to please the traffic cop when I was busted for jaywalking. Of course, that was twenty years before the Bush/Obammy police state was established and the TSA would pull you off a Greyhound and throw you in Gitmo if your tan looked a bit too permanent. Mexico begins to look a bit peaceful, law enforcement wise.

The whole cult thing got so serious that the CIA got involved. We can’t have all those hippy punks chucking their taxpaying jobs to go off grid and eating granola as they were waiting for the Apocalypse. Yes, I understand most folks reluctance to envision a world were the prison escapees are hunted down and forced back into the barracks and given extended sentences for the attempt at freedom. Well, Paul Newman, what we have here is a failure to communicate. Do you really think that all those rock stars all happened to overdose or die in plane crashes? Really? Just during that one period? Not since? I’d wager a donut that our intelligence services had a hand in most of them.

Sure, celebrities are killing themselves off left and right, but sometimes a coincidence is just too much to believe with those kinds of numbers. Read “Acid Dreams” for a thrilling tale of CIA involvement in the LSD trade. It wasn’t beyond belief at the time to think the government wanted to mold the countries culture and its future. They don’t try much anymore, but that might just be because their war was won. Poor guys, with the end of communism and the civilians all docile and subjugated, what was left for them to do? Watch the Taliban? The folks the CIA created in Afghanistan to fight the Russians. Afghans were never much interested in politics outside their immediate vicinity. And Bin Laden may or may not have cared overly much about the Great Satan if she wasn’t parked on holy ground. But mastermind a box cutter strike? Sure. Those box cutters also took down a skyscraper blocks and blocks away from the Twin Towers, and punched a hole in the wall of the Pentagon only incidentally the same size as a missile ( a bit smaller than the purported jet engine size ). Towel Heads didn’t have much experience in attacking domestic targets and molding public opinion ( I don’t believe they could even fathom how we think, since we affront God by not beating our women like they richly deserve ), but the CIA and its sister organizations sure do. Assassinating presidents, civil rights leaders and attorney generals, eliminating the means for mind expansion, trying to subdue the rebellious music, and don’t even get me started on manufacturing disease and plagues.

Okay, perhaps just a little. Here we have AIDS, a disease that very swiftly starts decimating the gay community. The disease almost simultaneously starts in San Francisco, New York and the Caribbean as well as Africa. Here is the course of events we are supposed to believe without thinking too much about it. Some Bushman in the Dark Continent either humps a monkey or is bitten by one, somehow infects a traveler, the disease then spreads faster than an airborne plague outbreak. Nothing else to see here, please move along.

My money is on the defense or intelligence community funding the disease and deliberately spreading it. One, most of us absolutely despise gays ( one presumes that Naval Intelligence wasn’t involved ). And two, intravenous drug users were just down the enemies list from homos. So, really, who was going to object to those folks being targeted? Once the disease proved itself, partial cures were then made available to those rich enough to transfer their wealth to the healthcare industry and the focus turned to Africa. Although AIDS has failed to perform as well as Bubonic Plague in wiping out the useless eaters on that resource rich continent, it did as good a job as can be expected of a manufactured disease that was made at the very start of the genetically modified organism era.

Of course, that one did backfire in that China took advantage of the civilization implosion there to buy up most of the resources, but the primary goal in the US was achieved -- to whit, the hippy era of free love and free thinking instantly died, and the drug culture never recovered its legitimacy. The last obstacle for unlimited government was removed as we raced to embrace a conservative political stance ( the socialist BS is just a disguise, a strawman. All points on the political spectrum embrace centralized control ).

My own experience might illustrate slightly. I was born and raised in California ( but in my defense, I never bought and sold land so I wasn’t involved in immigrating to another state and helping to jack up the cost of living artificially ) and for a short period after my military service I still lived there, until I had the good sense to move elsewhere and never go back. If you smoked weed, and it was under a certain amount, the fine was $50. In practice if not legalized it was the next closest thing. I had previously dropped a lot of acid, but in California I smoked a lot of herb. Once I moved out of the state, I quit completely. All other states had much harsher penalties. And as a result, I became an uptight little asshole who started working two jobs and towed the line of an obedient serf. I’m convinced quitting drugs did that to me.

Sure, thinking everything is a conspiracy can be dangerous to your mental health. It can also blind you to scientifically evaluating the true course of the future. But so much does indeed look like one when you ask, simply, “who benefits?”. Who benefits when college tuition and medical costs go through the roof? The central bank. They tell their tamed and trained Congresscritters to start out with The GI Bill, they finance nearly free campus construction to the states, shake, stir and wait a few generations and soon the same amount ( or fewer ) of professors teaching the same classes on that now paid for campus is even after adjusted for inflation ten or twenty times the old cost. Even with low interest rates, the banks make an insane killing on the student loans.

Medical is even easier. Get the federals to pay for old bitches ( it’s for the geriatrics! ) and soon the industry has galloping inflation as everyone chases after the government payday. Who benefits when the zoning ordinances prohibit self built homes? The banks. Who benefits when a cult leader, oh, just off the top of my head let’s say Jim Jones, is apparently instructing all his zombies to drink the Grape Kool-Aid so that they can go rap with Brother Jesus one on one like? I’d like to tie it in to the banks, as they are my number one enemy ( not because they’ve screwed me other than indirectly through inflation, the government has done far worse to me, but because they are the cocksuckers in control of enslaving us all and that just pisses me off to no end ) but I really can’t -- sorry. But if you’ll notice, the end of cults pretty much followed the Jonestown mass suicide. Which would be about the only reason I’d stop, sniff about a bit, cry, “Havoc!”, and suspect foul play was afoot.

What is a cult other than an attempt to create another religion or an alternate society? Okay, sure, they are pretty much a bunch of fucking fruit loops, but that isn’t the point. They are attempting to “turn on, tune out and drop out” ( I’m sure I butchered the Hippie saying, I’m a child of the 70’s, not the Flower Child generation, and my memory here is pretty much mirroring my interest which is to say marginal at best ).

And as already demonstrated, if you had been paying attention, altering your mind was the purview of the Central Intelligence Agency and not up to individual discretion ( if you think the war on the Constitution is something new, I wonder how many drugs YOU took in the 60’s. You’re not the first generation to have discovered sex, or think in polar opposites of your parents ).

Cults were an even greater threat than drugs, since the whole Constitution and Bill Of Rights, back when it was observed enough to not alarm the masses, unlike today when the Prez says, hey there little dudes, if you piss me off I get to arrest you and disappear you and nobody gives a flying fuck because almost every job anymore is tied to the government teet, back then there was a thing called freedom of religion. And the only reason the masses glommed on to that was because they figured if you pissed off Nixon the worse that could happen would be a baton up your head and a weekend in jail before bail, but if you pissed off the Big Kahuna you would be dunked head down in a lake of bubbling crap for all eternity in Hell. You do the math.

So, the feds can’t just have The War On Religion like they have the War On Drugs ( and if you are ever naïve enough to wonder why Texas had a life sentence in jail for one marijuana joint, it was the ol “we can’t bust Capone on murder, no evidence, so we get him for tax evasion” schtick. Radicals railing against the regime then had the “disappearing” act of that era pulled on them ). How to end those pesky cults? Stage a mass suicide. Because no matter how crazy an American religious fanatic was, almost without exception ( perhaps Brown before the War Of Northern Aggression ) they aren’t crazy enough to want to meet their maker NOW.

Perhaps the leaders don’t care. They’ve just had three hundred years of sex crammed into a few months and they are both too tired to care and too sated to think it matters anymore. But the rank and file of the cult certainly don’t want to die just yet. Or, as was the plan, the POTENTIAL cult members aren’t ready for that. You could argue that the apocalyptic feel of the times gave way to a sense of normalcy as the Depression of the 70’s gave way to the funny money fueled 80’s recovery ( I love Reagan, the last great president, but he had flaws and unrestrained deficits were one ). But I would disagree, stipulating that the cults ended years before the recovery began. And right on its heels came the AIDS epidemic and the ramping up of the War On Drugs.

Hell, in the Seventies, the government might have used illegal drugs to create political prisoners, but the vast majority of citizens had no problem with drugs. There was no backing of Prohibition by the masses. Now, after just a few decades, a few hundred bucks reward and your best buddy next door will drop a dime on your ass. Your kid will narc on you in school ( just as good little Party loving Nazi spawn gladly informed of their parents impure thoughts regarding the official line ). Drug busts have become an economic empire all its own, and the drug trade is used as a weapon against ghetto unrest ( it brings in enough money to quiet the mobs ).

So now you perhaps understand why Johnstown was targeted. Operatives assassinated the politician that came down to investigate ( or our operatives paid local talent to do so ), which either got Jones in a mood to die his way and not at the hands of the Fascists, or the inhabitants were then killed by the same instigators. You wonder why the Oklahoma City fed center was bombed? Do you think there are any serious militias around anymore to organize against the anti-Constitutionalists? Look how easy the masses accepted complete federal control after the first economic hiccup. Because they had already been calmed down with the treat that any armed resistance was futile. Just smile, take your government check, move along. You want to enter another universe with drugs? We’ll throw you in jail where you die. Want to join a cult that chances your life for the better? We’ll see that you all “suicide”. Want to organize to defeat a government that did all that? We’ll make you public enemy number one, shoot your wife as she is holding your baby, or just burn your kids ( I’d wager that the Waco folks that got burned out were also a threat to cults reemerging ). Resistance is futile!

So what does that leave? You quietly prepare for the end, by government action or in cahoots with corporate and banker interests as they fuck everything up. But don’t make a fuss doing it. Keep your tongue idle, and keep your wallet open as you consume your way towards apocalypse nirvana. You can’t escape reality through altering your mind, either through religion or drugs, but you are allowed to escape through shopping. If you follow these few rules, you will most likely although no guarantee be left alone and unmolested ( as long as you are not on a piece of property that the mayors butthole buddies on the XYZ Corporation want to eminent domain for ten cents on the dollar ).

Of course, this is less than ideal, as you aren’t allowed to actually escape but must continue to run faster and faster on the wage wheel. Better than nothing, sure. But far from ideal. It would indeed be better if you could join together and go down to an isolated town you build in the jungle in South America, accessible only by water craft, but as has already been demonstrated, you cannot escape. In fact, listening to the puke politicians today, and you hear them proposing a law that taxes those fleeing the country ( this was actually talked about, I crap you not ), just as the German government both before and during the Nazi’s levied an exit tax on the Jews of 30%, you could almost talk yourself into leaving this hole.

Not that I’d ever do it. Better the devil you know ( does not apply to wives or bosses ).

Better or more ideal or less suckass, those are not available to you. The whole teetering gum and glue popsicle tower saturated in napalm was about to fall over, burst into flames and explode flaming debris into the crowd. No time to start over elsewhere. I’d been watching the news of the financial derivatives game for over five years now, since Lehman Brothers was allowed to implode. Not that you were fed the real news, you had to read between the lines. Which of course makes the whole decision making process fraught with danger. But the alternative, waking up one morning as mobs with pitchforks and torches are trashing the place because while you were glued to the cable TV which was reporting lies and running ads for American Duet Dancing With The Talented Stars and didn’t get out in time, was no better than deciding for yourself when to jump out of the perfectly good airplane.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. Or, visit

You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.

Posted by James M Dakin at 7:00 AM WEDNESDAY, MAY 30, 2012

Comment

Apocalypse RV -- part 3

Apocalypse RV -- part 3

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2012...rv-part-3.html
        http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=6037#post6037

The derivatives implosion, a malady best described as the modern day computer assisted new version of the 1920’s Buying On Margin, but with a difference in that back in the day it had to be simple enough for the shoeshine boy to understand and execute whereas today having an advanced mathematics degree was almost required, was of course not The End Of the World As We Know It. It was a consequence and not a cause.

Any schmuck can cause different kinds of financial crisis, but it takes a systematic collapse for the money men to help create a living hell on earth as they obliviously make money hand over fist as their activities help the implosion move along at warp speed. I was looking at the derivatives as the canary in the coal mine, because we had already started our civilization collapse several generations ago when Peak Oil in the US, that moment when the maximum amount of oil has been pumped and it is all down hill from there and in 2005 the rest of the world followed our lead. Setting aside the issue of growth fueling economies ( which you can bet the last dollar in your pocket we’ll return to in a moment ) when you reach the point where the ingredients to feed the globe start to decline or even stop growing in a world full of population growth, it is all over. Period. Stick a motherhumping fork in it Charlie because that goose is cooked but good. Everything else after that is just noise over details and timing. It really is just as simple as that, but even putting it that plainly to folks, they want to argue with you.

I know, I’ve been running a Peak Oil site on the Internet for the extra income I’ve needed to prep for Armageddon, and I’m here tell you that the smartest people you’ll ever meet will die where they stand, a cannibals salvaged rebar spear stuck through their head in the middle of rubble and piles of corpses as they argue with you to the last breath why our time is different and the end can never come and how we can continue to draw down nonrenewable resources forever.

I was just like you, a spouse as worthless as teats on a bull, unable or unwilling to comprehend danger and brainwashed by Satan’s spawn from the seventies women’s rights activists that bitches were the exact same as men and they could lift two hundred pounds and that the concept of big strong men protecting wee bittey little females was just an unfortunate result of the male dominated society and they didn’t need no stinking male around and they could provide for themselves. So if I even tried to play the “preps to protect us” card I’d get an hour lecture on how I was trying to subjugate her by trying to regress a hundred years to before women got the vote and place her in chains in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. I’m not sure where THAT came from, as it was nothing more than an extended larder concept practiced by our pioneer farmers, man and woman alike, and all the guns were was protection some folks needed now, let alone in the future with even less police around if any, but I’m guessing that if you embraced the concept that the government could fail it followed that your empowerment and rights as a minority was then liable to vanish ( I even tried to argue that females have traditionally in most cultures been the dominant ones, albeit with a hidden and subdued power, but that just led to the whole fight on how she was not a whore and we shouldn’t ever have sex unless she felt like it which was only possible if I waited six months the whole time romancing and wining and dining her, so you can imagine how well that worked for me ).

So, a potentially long story short, with no official sanction from the dominant budget partner, I had to work a second job for “my” money. It started out as yet another Y2K scare site, not that I was trying to profiteer as much as I was genuinely frightened and wanted to amass and share information and it fortunately by accident got profitable, and later it morphed into a Peak Oil site after a time.

Now, yes, charges were levied by readers that I was just another quick buck artist trying to scare folks and their money apart, but I reject these charges. The humps that plaster their sites with ads for all manner of overpriced unneeded crap, not caring if the product has merit, one of those I’ll never be. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You watch a free sitcom on TV, you don’t hold the producer responsible for the quality of the car that a commercial hawks. And I don’t do that with the owner of a survival site. He has to make a buck, and he should.

Writers have traditionally been a very underpaid and overexploited profession through civilized society, and it is nice to see the playing field leveled with the Internet. Oh, there are black and white as well as grey areas. Some are just editors and use mostly worthless content to carry advertising. But all in all, I like this current Internet model a lot better than the old New York City dominated big publishers picking one book out of ten thousand. At least now writers have a chance at profit. But me, personally, I’ve always tried to avoid the sweet temptation of easy advertising profits. Give em as much, and more, free writing as they can swallow and hope a few cough up a buck or three just to get you to shut up. So I wasn’t taking advantage of anybody. If they perceived value, they paid. If not, they didn’t. So I cashed my checks guilt free.

They weren’t large checks, some months consisting of fifty bucks or less, some months double that. I made due, because no matter what your income if the spouse won’t support your efforts you are literally only allowed pocket change to prep with. And at first I didn’t need much. Remember the sweet days during the last century when oil was still never much over $30 and everything was dirt cheap? Wheat was five or seven bucks a bag, with an ounce of silver or a box of rifle ammo about the same? Boy, those were the days. I felt sorry for any schmuck late to the party that had to cough up full price anytime after about 2007, 2008. Solar panels might have declined in price, what with the Chinese getting involved in the monocrystalline panels ( their flat film panels were pretty much crap fifty percent of the time, I couldn’t say what the new ones would do although just the weight savings and potential lifespan increases made the bet worthwhile ), and I hope for the sake of over a billion of the bastards that their domestic demand was high enough to keep each peasant farmstead in electricity after they had their Lights Out, but the prices of everything else has doubled if we were lucky to quadrupled as the norm.

I know a lot of it was inflation, but a lot was also the cost of oil going up with a big side helping of commodities scarcity becoming everyday normal. And that’s the thing, isn’t it? You can’t expect to weather those kind of price increases ( assuming you weren’t part of the growing unemployed ) in a vacuum. Everything affects everything else. Oil flattening out supply wise ( and I’d guess actual decline if you subtract the addition of unconventional fluids such as ethanol and tar sands ) along with commodities declining ( only lower grade coal and metal ores, corn used as fuel, depleting aquifers and degraded soil ) and then as a result of that economic growth dying which leads to depression which leads to less money for alternate energy or even exploration and investment in lower grade oil ( less BTU’s delivered after acquisition energy cost ) and to top off that shit sundae with a maraschino cherry you have the bankers fucking over everybody else to keep their profits gushing in. Which is where the derivatives come in. They weren’t going to cause a collapse, they were just going to push the whole global collapse from first gear to overdrive.

To the old saying, going to hell in a handbasket on a rocketship, add -- with more boosters added everyday with duct tape, baling wire and zip ties. When we start replaying 2008, this time it wasn’t going to be something the government could print its way out of. Oh, the number of zeros you can add to a piece of currency is nearly indefinite, but when you have the level of interdependency we now have, the bulk of unproductive people eating off a few percent of the population being farmers who couldn’t produce ten percent of the crop without petroleum inputs, and all that food must be shipped long distances, hyperinflation takes on a new meaning. Widespread systemic collapse when all that complexity the system has isn’t lubricated with a functioning economy.

You can’t use a semi-functioning economy, that doesn’t work. There are too many interdependent parts and if one doesn’t work it effects many different parts of the system. If the electric company worker can’t cash his paycheck he doesn’t come in and then the grid might not remain up and running which shuts down the diesel fuel pumps which move the food to the cities and the fertilizer to the farms and the urban masses, a mere 24 hours away from zero food, riot which can’t be contained by cops with no patrol cars and start fires that can’t be put out when no water pressure remains and no retailer would sell anything even if there was electricity because the debit card system computers are shut down.

Now multiply that problem from millions of interconnected jobs, all relying on petroleum, electricity and a FULLY functioning banking system. Again, don’t get me wrong. The derivatives are the bow on top of the wrapped gift box. They top everything already wrong off the wrong way. We already had overpopulation, declining energy, increasing soil lose, dropping water tables. The stage was already set for collapse. Increasing population added to depleting food equals a marriage made in hell.

And it wasn’t even like this was a surprise. World grain stockpiles had been declining for nearly ten years, a half a decade prior to the 2005 oil production peak. Some years we grew less than we used, adding from the dwindling stockpiles. In 2010 ( I think it was ) we saw droughts in Russia and floods in Pakistan, and during that year of the best global grain production in some time we still had malnutrition in formally decently fed areas ( Russia didn’t starve, but its halt on exports led to middle east countries to experience a taste ). The Arab Spring wasn’t about overturning dictators after fifty years of excessive rule. It was about the populations unable to afford food after it doubled and tripled in price. Not starvation, but certainly a calorie deficit. You only take up arms when your family is hungry. Not just because food costs more but because you then couldn’t buy enough of it. During the Cold War, only the non essential countries had famines. Now everyone was getting a taste. Oil producing country, with oil at $100 a barrel, and they were going hungry? That my fine feathered friend is a sure sign of collapse.

Now I was sure that as soon as the big banks started collapsing, we were next in line for Failed State De Jour. I’m of the mind that the central bank, after a hundred years of perfecting their game, pretty much ran the show. Not conspiracy level run the show, where the strings are pulled from the Presidency on down to the beat cop, but the simple control that comes from controlling every action because everything is tied into the money system. In that case, all that is necessary is that you pull the macro levers. Micro control isn’t needed or even possible. You create money, and everything is tied to the money system, and you can control whole countries. Now, the natural question you are going to ask is, if the central bank controls everything, why would they allow the collapse to happen? They would be killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

To that, just keep in mind two things. The scorpion and the frog, and peak oil. The scorpion wanted to cross the river but of course could not swim. So he asked the frog for a ride. The frog declined, knowing he would be stung. The scorpion replied, why would I do that? Then we’d both die. So the frog relented, they started across, and the scorpion bite him. As they were both starting to drown, the frog asked why the scorpion had doomed them both. I can’t help it, the scorpion replied, it’s what I do.

As for peak oil, just recall the declining food and the increasing population. Paper currency or credit can facilitate food production, but it can’t replace it. Well, okay, let me add a third thing. The perpetual growth myth and the fact that most folks are dumber than dirt.

For five hundred years, western civilizations have been in a constant state of growth ( the controlling region might vary, with the losers declining and the winner growing, but as a whole this rule played out ). First the wealth came from colonization, then from coal, and then from oil. To the average westerner, growth, having lasted so many generations, is as natural as gravity. And folks that seem smart, like Princeton or Harvard leaders running our economy or ship of state, they are just as dumb. They are highly skilled in one aspect, but then so totally ignorant of life and reality in everything else on balance they are too stupid to find their ass to stick their thumb up even if they used a funnel.

Let’s take the focus of our derision, JP Morgan bank, generally recognized as the hand in the puppet of the Federal Reserve Bank, the central bank of the US ( that’s ignoring the whole “foreigners like the Rothchild’s run the worlds banks” possibility. While possible, for our interests here it is largely irrelevant. You pull the strings, or someone else pulls your strings while you pull another’s, all the same difference to the victims ). They were probably the cunts that bought off enough CongressCritters to jam the legislature establishing the central bank up our asses in 1913. And now they are the same pukes who will be responsible for the economic collapse with their slew of bad derivatives go bad.

I read a funny description on the Internet, damned if I know by who but he’s a damn genius, that the economy is simply: the sovereign debt of the globe of $70 trillion used as backing for $700 trillion worth of derivatives. Is that awesome, or what? It sums it up oh so nicely. The banks are goosing an economy along, an economy running on declining energy, by continuing to play the derivatives gamble. Even years after the derivatives almost sank us in 2008. It is simply more of the hair of the dog to combat the hangover of a debt party that can no longer deliver anymore beer out of that keg. Before, derivatives were based on potential housing wealth. Now, they are based on nothing except government IOU’s, and there are oh so many more of them than five years ago. Oh, we are double hump fucked, and nobody thinks it is a problem. Derivatives imploding, currency being devalued, no big deal in and of themselves. But when the perpetual growth machine has ended with the growth of oil, and the oil is what feeds us, and when only oil and big centralized agriculture can feed us, but big oil and big ag rely on the functioning banking system, why then you have a perfect storm brewing when one body slam after another are going to take out your fantasy of stable government, stable food supply, stable law and order and everything you’ve taken for granted your whole life.

And guess what? Nobody, and I mean nobody, sees the looming cliff their train is headed over. It is obvious as hell, but nobody wants to deal with that reality. They devoted countless hours to schooling, to learn a trade relying on growth and oil, invested ( I would say “invested”, as in what a crock of shit to call that investing, but I’m going from the point of view of the participants ) in a vehicle to take them to work, invested in a spouse by investing in a home, which was really just a debt for the life of their career, which was near good schools so they could invest in their children’s future. Again, nothing wrong with that, they had no idea they were being dry ass humped by the central bank. The currency that paid for their labor was losing on average 3% a year. Now add the 5% to 20% they were paying in interest for loans on everything. Over a lifetime, it mostly came to naught. They were paying for the privilege of working and staying in debt bondage. JP Morgan had the sweetest deal imaginable, far exceeding the wealth and privilege of mere mortal kings. And that was not all. As bad as they were getting raped, they couldn’t see it as a violation. They had their trinkets, and they couldn’t be happier. Well, they might be miserable, but if so they certainly didn’t know why.

And, by being emotionally attached to their delusion, they had no idea of the storm brewing right above them. If you put your entire life’s effort into learning a trade, you won’t admit it was a fools choice and soon your knowledge will be irrelevant.

If you’ve been paying fifty percent of your wages to buy a decent looking home ( the home is built with substandard material, in a ill thought out location, too far from work if gasoline ever gets over $2 a gallon, a death trap if the grid ever goes down, and even if you admit any of this which is unlikely you still must accept the judgment of the wife who views through a prism of how others see it. To most women, presentation is everything. Their security, and hence the security of their children hinges on their looks, the only commodity they have, historically if not presently, to trade for that security. You might think that sounds sexist, but then I don’t delude myself thinking I am an attraction to females because of my wonderful looking hair, the size of my penis or my roughish humor. My attraction is my ability to earn, provide and protect. And at the same token, a female interests me primarily for sex.

Sorry, reality sucks and is not taught in college ) you certainly won’t admit that in a few short years that home will trap you as the lights go out, the ghetto dwellers move in to kill you or that there won’t be any job left you can keep to pay the mortgage. I don’t blame folks for their delusions, we all have them. I’m not even all that smarter than they are but am also a product of my ancestors suffering. Descending from Scottish lines, the hard won knowledge almost seemingly hard wired into my genes is that the southern fucks, those English twats, will be moving armies up to starve us out so their nobility can gain far more profit from grazing sheep than they can from having us as sharecroppers. You don’t pour your wealth into land or shelter, because it will just be taken from you by force. And you always, ALWAYS, expect to be fucked by those in power Overcome, adapt, improvise. So, obviously, I started out suitably paranoid. It wasn’t because I was smart, but just lucky to be born into a line of martyrs. So, okay, what was self evident to me was not to most. I don’t blame them for being oblivious. They are after all just another species of scorpions. They are destined to stay true to their nature.

Which can’t stop you from trying. You must act as if it is your calling to save the world. Not because 99% will listen, but because somewhere out there is the 1% that have lost their way and just need reminding. They have had their once noble bloodlines deluded with inferior stock and the hard leant lessons from their ancestors has been forgotten. Not inferior as far as skin color, but inferior as far as tribe. Just as nature diversifies to ensure survival from its own actions, humans also diversify to ensure the species survives no matter what it does to harm itself. Humans, having brains not necessarily superior to some animals ( setting aside Japanese radiation, you’ve got to admit that dolphins are pretty damn smart. They refused to be lured onto land, where the only one above them on the food chain, humans, resided. Instead, they frolic and carry on in a relatively safe and benign environment, still residing in a garden of Eden ) but wired differently, use culture to boost their brain power, overcome its shortcomings and enhancing its abilities. And all tribes have different cultures. And being different, being diversified, ensures no matter what, we survive as a species. there are cultures that enhance its members through times of prosperity and cultures that help its members through times of trouble.

The majority of America’s population is the offspring of the last successful tribe, those that embraced and welcomed growth brought about by resource extraction. Those that moved to the cities for better industrial jobs, those that sided with the centralizing forces of government ( in the War Of Northern Aggression, obviously the agrarian tribes were largely decimated. Those who survived the military defense went home to burned down farms with fresh graves containing former wives felled by malnutrition fostered by Union scorched earth policy. The farm tribes were involved in a genocide. You can call the “Civil War” a war about slavery, but then you are just lazy. You can call it a war fought for northern industrialists financial gain, but then you are imprisoned by a purely economic view that ignores resources. You can call it a war between states rights and federal government expansion, but are then trapped in a purely political viewpoint. At heart, it was a war between cultures, and the self sufficient farmer culture was decimated. It isn’t allowed to spread, to this day.

Property tax isn’t just about greed and taxes. It is about cultural genocide. The centralized urban industrialists salted all the freeholders fields so they can’t be replanted ), those who hitched onto the coattails of historic destiny thrived and procreated. Their descendants grew like weeds. And the whole place is packed with them. They won’t survive the upheaval when the fuel runs out. Their tribe isn’t able to survive in another kind of culture. Just as the scorpion can’t help but drown himself, these people can’t help but perpetuate the habits that will kill them. Those habits made them rich, or if not rich in most cases at least comfortable. Comfortable enough to create offspring who perpetuated the cycle.

Now, those tribes, vastly reduced in numbers because their culture couldn’t embrace the changes from 150 years ago, or in most cases, were causalities of that conflict of tribes, those descendents have the culture to survive AFTER the present tribe/culture wipes themselves out. A fair number will again be casualties, but enough will survive to form the nucleus of the new powers. Yes, at this time it is quaint and counterproductive to embrace individualism, self reliance, distrust of government. In the future, if you survive, they will be the new culture. And just as in times past when that culture barely survived, and by distasteful means such as serving as cannon fodder for the conquering army, today they might be forced to survive by once again eating humble pie and suckling at the welfare teet of the conquering government. But in the end, because you are the descendents of those that survived the cultural war but never forgot their own culture, you can also survive where others can’t. Oh, the survival rate will be dismal. When the ant nest is kicked over, most perish. But enough mating pairs survive to be the new post crash civilization.

Preparing to survive is no means a guarantee. But it does give those with the proper mental outlook the tools to accomplish the task insofar as it is possible at all. No, preaching to the majority is a waste of time. You only do it to help those few of your vanquished tribe that are listening for the edge, the reminder, they need. You can prep for Armageddon all you want, but if you are soft, if you refuse to see the threat of your masters, if you stay in his cities as chattel wearing the leash of a corporate paycheck, you will die like the rest. Culture and tribe are survival tools more important than all others. An AR-15 and a can of freeze dried pseudo-meat don’t make you part of another tribe. Chained to money and comfort, you are still part of the conquerors, and their days are over and they don’t even realize it. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Central banks have been an essential part of the growth economy from almost the very beginning. There has almost always been banking, but the huge monsters that where needed for the huge nation state to prosper and thrive are fairly recent. In effect they are just the last incarnation in centralization that was needed to support the most advanced civilizations ever. You can have advanced civilizations without them, just based on plunder such as the Romans, but they are necessary past a certain level of complexity.

Complexity is both required to grow but it is also the reason collapse is inevitable. Complexity fuels growth, but then strangles decentralization. The simplest example of this is the Mayan collapse. Past a certain population growth, the Mayans had to go from a village based water retention and storage system to much bigger structures serving large cities. And those larger systems needed slaves or conscripted labor. But once the crops started failing due to long freakish weather patterns, you couldn’t feed enough people to keep the labor force needed to keep the water flowing ( or, for that matter, dig deeper ). You couldn’t go back to a village system because there isn’t the infrastructure to support the city populations decentralizing. Packing folks into the city requires less infrastructure per person, labor/energy wise, and so in a declining energy situation ( in this case less calories ) you can’t suddenly change direction and switch to a more energy intensive infrastructure.

Today, our cities are jam packed and agriculture areas thousands of miles away, but you can’t suddenly go back fifty years to a small city surrounded by farms, feeding the cities locally. We have destroyed the infrastructure that did that. And we can’t switch unless our centralized farms continue to produce and transport the entire time the transition takes place. In our declining energy situation that seems rather unlikely. If in doubt, try turning property over to organic farming without the zoning restrictions and property taxes that not even wage earners can afford ( let alone farmers ), not to even mention the debt required to buy land priced for suburban McMansions. We have centralized and all institutions, just to survive, can’t decentralize.

Which is where the banks are. They were needed for the last few hundred years, if for no other reason of national survival through debt acquired military defense, but as we’ve centralized to get more efficiency we’ve trapped ourselves in a situation where the central banks have become essential in every facet of our survival. Even if the bankers aren’t evil as I stipulate, just the simple fact of national growth ( a minimum of which is required just to avoid being defeated by your enemies ) would explain the continuing centralization. We are already at a place where centralization of economic control, mated with centralized government added to depleting resources with a dash of infrastructure maintenance avoidance out of necessity are the harbingers of our doom. The city water system is drying up. Collapse is assured.

The best a survivalist can hope for is he dies before the collapse ( the best a non-survivalist can hope for is a quicker death come the time ). But I didn’t think it was all that far away. JP Morgan, the fuck that started this whole mess a hundred years ago and profited handsomely, was in serious trouble the spring of 2012. Forget the Mayan Calendar Collapse Theory, Morgan might just push us over the cliff before December. The banking system started out manipulating the money supply and making stupid loans backed by taxpayers.

It worked like magic back in World War One when the newly created central bank, concerned that WarBucks Junior was ONLY going to inherit a few hundred million dollars and so feeling very poor and mistreated decided they needed a lot more profit, lent a bunch of money to Britain and France. Once it was seen that the Germans might win that conflict, or at least sue for peace, the banks had the President change his mind and send troops over to Europe. 300,000 poor Americans died so the banks would not lose their money. Or their obscene profits. That worked so well the bankers cashed out by bankrupting Wall Street, then put their blueblood east coast aristocrat butt boy FDR in power so he could devalue the dollar, take us off gold, turn us socialist for lots more government spending, then drag us into a war to get the factories working full time again. They then made sure the Soviets had the nuclear bomb so the Cold War made sure the war machine never turned off.

Fast forward past a few more atrocities and arrive to today where there was little need for war production ( there was no resources for it either, but the bankers owned the Saudis and they had turned military research into computers into a economic system ) as the whole economy was paper pushing wealth creation from the bankers. Based on nothing, nor backed by anything but the past accomplishments of our Oil Empire. But where a hundred years ago there was the globes lion share of resources to extract to back wealth, today there was little. Yet the bankers still were playing the same game as if nothing had changed. Money created out of nothing, bad loans backed by taxpayers. Their manipulations of the economy almost blew up in their faces five years ago, but they papered over the crisis by tripling their government’s debt load. And I was thinking THAT also just blew up in their face.

Out of the blue, JP Morgan announces a few bad loans cost them $2 billion. The next few days it was admitted that even though they were bankers and supposedly could add and subtract, it was all a mistake and the amount was thought to be $3 billion. Others in the know seemed to think it wasn’t outrageous to assume ten times that amount, if not much more. The banks and their whores in government were known infamously for bold faced lies, so this wasn’t impossible to believe. So I was wondering if this wasn’t the start of the string for the whole ball of yarn, starting to unwind. I couldn’t prove anything, but I had to make a decision one way or another. Keep wishing and hoping and bury my head in the sand? Or assume it was finally The End after five years of wishing and hoping and burying my head in the sand? I wasn’t just randomly panicking, on many separate occasions the last few years it really seemed that it was Game Over, only to have calm restored by another few trillion in debt. Obviously it couldn’t go on forever so it was time to decide.

Shit or get off the pot. Remember that movie back in the 50’s, or perhaps it was the sixties, it had Frankie Avalon, “Panic In Year Zero”? It might not have been the first movie to do so ( but it was the first I’m aware of ), the atomic war started and the characters went around desperately trying to procure supplies. I think that set the tone for most fiction of Armageddon.

Come the collapse, go cash in all your suddenly worthless treasures to buy food and ammo, or if you have to just go steal them. Okay, the stealing part, no problem there. The near future was going to be all about trying to steal the little that was left so a few could survive. I was obviously planning that myself. But to think you could be the first to cash in paper currency, jewels, art work or whatnot, and the retailers would give you soon to be priceless supplies was ludicrous. Why would you think that a shop owner, or for that matter 99% of the population, was much stupider that you were? The odds/probabilities were against it. If you were going to do any last minute stockpiling, you truly needed to do it before anyone else thought the collapse was upon them.

As far as stealing, you needed to also do that far in advance, or far into the future. In advance was obvious. No competition, and all the supplies were yours for the picking. Then, hunker down and wait a bit after the collapse started. Stay out of the way and most ammunition will be fired at others. Then, forces and supplies intact, refreshed, you start going after the survivors. They would be weakened by hunger, low on ammunition and probably far understrength from their fight over the laughably inadequate supplies to begin with. Since I had no desire to stand in the street exchanging semi-auto gunfire with other survivors like it was damn High Noon, stealing others food like a badger and running away like a weasel, hiding in hibernation like a bear was a far preferable strategy. Alas, nothing in life is free and for every advantage there was a price to pay. If I couldn’t pull a pair of testicles out of their body cavity nestling area and pull this off I’d be left facing the collapse alone with plenty of supplies but no support.

And it wasn’t even all that much about the need for an RV. I could in theory do without it. But this was also a test. If I couldn’t take on a couple of old fuckers, avoid tipping my hand to the authorities, steal and hide an RV, I certainly wasn’t going to be able to survive the collapse of western civilization. People played for keeps in those games. Here, I could go to jail and get sodomized. There, I could literally end up slow tortured then slow boiled in a cannibal’s stewpot. Anyone could talk themselves into doing nothing and hope they died naturally. I knew the end was near ( although of course I had no idea if I would die before it happened ). I had no excuses to talk myself out of it. If I couldn’t pass the first test there was no hope for me and I might as well eat a bullet.

Grandpa, you socialist civil servant cunt, living off my taxes after you sent innocents to jail ( okay, in my imagination I would find a twat like a retired Fed cop to take down -- in reality it might just be a Boeing retiree. I’d take that chance ) to entice your pay grade, here I come!

END

Okay, a quick update on the fiction writing process. I think I’m about done with the exclusive background information. I’ll of course always fall back into mental meandering, barroom philosophizing, background information filler, ranting and dismal drivel, but it’s about time I go into the nuts and bolts of the story beginning next week. I’d start getting repetitious otherwise ( if you think I’ve already gotten there, a mere twelve thousand words later, a laughably puny fifteen percent the length of a normal sized novel, you don’t understand what you’ve gotten yourself into coming here to read ). The first two weeks I only got three thousand words posted each time. The first week I had started a non-fiction article that took up several days, the second week I had two half days at work and bad weather at home so I didn’t write enough in total. This last week should be more indicative of posts to come, five to six thousand words. Hope you are enjoying, or at least being fooled into coming back for more abuse each week.

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale

I've got an actual professional to archieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. I haven't got a copy of it yet, but I'm thinking this thing will be better than sliced white bread. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. Depending on how much the production company charges per copy, my cut will be about $5 to $6. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:

http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I

Posted by James M Dakin at 7:00 AM WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6, 2012

Comment

Mulling Manufacturing

Mulling Manufacturing

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2012...facturing.html
          http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=6263#post6263

Now, I’ll be one of the first ones to admit that at times I can think and/or act like a real moron. My only saving grace is that I love learning anew everyday and I have little ego tied up in my previous “facts” for the simple reason that eventually, if you study continuously, you are going to refute some of your old conclusions. I loved Nasbit and Toffler way back in the early Eighties. The Information Economy was a very interesting theory and one I embraced. But now I wonder how much of that was just Grape Kool-Aid. Recently as I read more and more about Peak Oil and our economic paradigm imploding, it was easy to understand that after five hundred years of “normal” it was missed by most that once resource growth stopped, so did the economy. Since the entire infrastructure was built up around growth, it was easy to miss the forest for the trees. We are educated that growth is normal, our property laws reflect that, our entire banking system can’t survive without it. Growth is “baked into the cake”. At the same token, now it is easy to see that besides banking, we had another factor that we had missed. Manufacturing was also part of that infrastructure.

I’d been so immersed into the propaganda that our wonderful new Information Age was our salvation and source of All New Good Things, I never stopped to think it was all a brilliant lie. I just went along with the Factory As Dinosaur thinking. Now, you can certainly have an Information Age. That is not the point. The point is that you can’t have one resting on the structure that used to support a manufacturing economy. Hell, a civil war was fought in this country to usher in the factory economy, entire regions were colonized to draw in raw materials ( Yankee Scum Industrialists obviously learned well at the feet of their Anglo hero’s ) and the country almost tore itself apart as we lost the factories. Yet, blissfully snoozing through that period as a child I just bought into the new school thinking that none of that mattered and our new worship of the silicon chip would be akin to a new, stronger deity saving his favored children. Long before I became a survivalist writer, I was already deluding myself that all would actually be A-Okay in the end ( or at least buy us a lot of time ).

Look at the state of the globe right now. Everyone is doing poorly, everyone is on the edge of the abyss, but those doing less poorly are usually engaged in building things. Not because we all need things. In the end, the only thing we need are basic foods and fuel and shelter. None of which need come from a factory. If you come right down to it, all factories are doomed, churning out nothing life saving ( with a few exceptions of course- the last factory will most likely be churning out ammunition ). So, of course in the end they will all close. And if the globe is awash in production capacity, coupled with economic downturn, why in the world would factory nations be doing better than Information ones? I contend that since all financial manipulation economies are walking zombies, the only thing that still has a resemblance to reality is manufacturing. They are resting on the infrastructure that spawned them. The information economy is resting on the electric grid and the Internet. Which in itself would be fine. But the real economic activity spawned by the microchip was always banking. The Information Economy just got a free ride out of it. The Information Economy is just as profitable as always, but the banking economy is most certainly not. We fooled ourselves into thing the parasite was the profit center.

So, while manufacturing’s days are numbered, the decline in energy and all ores will certainly see to that, they are in much better health than the financial sector. China is not doing so well because they will outlast us and be the new empire, or are better run, but simply because until the energy runs out they are better suited to the structure put into place centuries ago by others. They are already masters of the new, or soon to be new, Salvage Economy. They will merely be the last man standing, not the new rich kid taking it all over. Japan might have had manufacturing, which might have been what saved their ass after the Tokyo Housing Bubble, but that all got washed out to sea amidst radioactive foam. Germany is the sole bright spot in Europe ( one could argue most of the issues there are from using derivatives to fake the statistics enabling weak countries to be admitted into the economic union where the rich countries could then keep them alive economically ), for now, because they are the manufacturing center. Manufacturing will end with oil, but for now that is what is rewarded. Hopefully those nations will do better than us using the grace period to manage contraction.

Friday, I went shopping at Home Depot. Good humping golly, that lumber sure adds up fast. $400 for plywood, $300 for 2x4’s, $300 for concrete blocks, nails and plastic sheeting and $200 for fiberglass insulation. I haven’t started building due to recent daily rains, but at least I’m prepped for it. One little fact that really lit a fire under my ass to get this done was that fiberglass insulation contains corn in its manufacture. I don’t know how much, but I could just see the whole pit project canceled because of the drought and almost sure coming corn failures. I’m broke once again, but a few uninterrupted paychecks should build up the savings again. Another side note, I got my first Bison Survival Blog CD sales check in the mail. I sold seven CD’s in June. Not a bad haul, with my portion being $36. Of course, the rotten whoring bastards burning and mailing the thing make more than I do each sale, and I did all the damn work, but I’ll try to ignore that for now. Thanks to those that bought, and to you others, don’t be shy getting your own copy.

END

I've got an actual professional to archieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. I haven't got a copy of it yet, but I'm thinking this thing will be better than sliced white bread. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. Depending on how much the production company charges per copy, my cut will be about $5 to $6. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:

Posted by James M Dakin at 12:56 PM MONDAY, JULY 16, 2012

Comment

Culturally Speaking

Culturally Speaking

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2012...-speaking.html

Culture is formed by many things, from history to topography. That’s the main reason NOT to move out of the country at the last minute. You won’t assimilate into the local scene. And, yes, I think this is already the last minute. Fred, over yonder at Fred On Everything ( dot net ), was a hillbilly back in the day but chose to go to Mexico and make it his new home. Two things he did right were moving back a long time ago and having a local bride. It also didn’t hurt he was bringing in income from GringoLand. Altogether he should be safe and comfortable down there. I don’t think Mexican peasants, baring a drought, will much feel the global implosion. Now, you can translate these criteria to moving to another state here in the Union. If it is last minute, you won’t be accepted. If you suck off the locals, you won’t be accepted. And, if you don’t do something to blend in, like marry a local girl, you won’t be accepted. And not being accepted will in time be a death sentence. So, before you blindly move to the American Redoubt, ask yourself if you are culturally compatible. In effect, you are buying into the Western culture. And I can relate to the Western culture. But I think what is meant by the American Redoubt concept makes THAT culture a sub-genre that has heavy religious fundamentalist undertones. Beware that difference.

I don’t pretend to understand all the cultural undertones here. I was born and raised Californian, but once I escaped out to the West I felt more at home than when I was a wee lad. It felt right. Because The West ain’t California ( it also ain’t coastal Oregon and Washington ). But I think one of the major influences here was the fight over water rights. You of course had the issue of Spanish land grants, fenced ranches verses free range, cattle verses sheep ranching, states rights verses federal control and even Commons verses private property. But over it all you had the fight over water. California was not as shaped by this as you had, early on, massive irrigation projects. The water was imported, and the average citizen wasn’t affected by water scarcity. The coast north of them also had abundant water ( the effect of the ocean conveyor belts ). But the rest of the west was all about fighting for water. It was scarce and the fight was bloody. As a result, the survivors were naturally inclined towards acting antagonistically. The different here was that it was more of an individual fight. Clan warfare as typified by Scottish immigrants settling the Appalachians was group based. As was defense ( I’d wager a deep fried Snickers bar that Texans attitudes towards guns were shaped by being involved in a nastier warfare lasting far long than was typical elsewhere ).

So, just from the one example above you can see where there is a huge gulf culturally between Westerners and Southerners. Looking back at Friday’s article at The World’s Premier Yuppie Survivalist Blog, our Southern gentleman visiting the American Redoubt was identified immediately by his accent. Westerners don’t really have the same “friendly towards a stranger” attitude that most Southerners have. In short, we are rude asshats. I guess we figure there ain’t enough water to go around and we don’t need another mouth at the trough. And it wasn’t just the rattler incident ( I love how our intrepid site owner compared the benign rattlesnake danger to the South’s cottonmouths and water moccasins. I agree that a snake on the ground in plain site in the sun is much preferable to one of Satan’s minions swimming with you. I’m pretty sure they have tree snakes that leap at you too, although I could be wrong ) that was a shock. The weather here sucks in its back and forth too hot and too cold. Although better than the South’s constant bathhouse. Geography is just as important as culture.

Every swinging dingus out there compares firearms laws and tax rates and gives you a “perfect” survivalist location. But people and places are far more important. You need a place you feel comfortable. Where people share your values, the religions aren’t weird ( I think one of the great things about the Mormons is they pretty much leave the gentiles alone to be damned to eternal hellfire. They stay clannish and ignore others as much as possible. Which is why a sinning place like Nevada, with its whore houses and casinos and 24 hour a day boozing, can house so many Mormon settlements ) and your way of thinking is mirrored. Which is something the California bastards don’t understand. You screw up your own state then colonize the rest of the West, trying to vote with your numbers to turn our state into another private revenue stream for your free lunches. It has worked so far, but beware that cultural and regional differences are making a comeback. The Feds might have effectively homogenized the country after WWII, but it is now moving back the other way. People are re-embracing their differences. As the Empire crumbles the old cultures reappear. Because tribes are the historically proven survival grouping, not the nation state. Be careful you aren’t picking the wrong tribe/clan.

There is nothing wrong with the South ( ignoring Kunstler’s demented rambling to the contrary ), just make sure you fit in. And don’t move to alien territory just because some survivalist guru told you to. That is his prejudice. You must pick culture before a generic list of desirable attributes. Who cares if the gun laws are better, if everyone gives you stink eye and babbles in foreign tongues on Sunday? There are NO perfect survival locations applicable to everyone. The West has plenty of issues, from overpopulation to California colonization to a massive historic drought going on. So does every other place. Sure, if you live in the big city, go to another area less densely populated. But do so within your comfort zone, not in a foreign land across the country.

END

Posted by James M Dakin at 12:47 PM FRIDAY, AUGUST 24, 2012

Comment

Wives selling out to Clinton

Wives selling out to Clinton

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2012...o-clinton.html
              http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=6691#post6691

Reading the latest novel “Half Past Midnight” afforded me quite a few moments of pure glee ( three thousand people could live off the land foraging as they waged a guerrilla war against the towns invaders? One for the record books ) but despite such nonsense I’ve been getting a few good ideas from it as well ( still a good enough read to recommend, just don’t expect a Top Twenty Post Apoc Books Of All Time contender ). I simply must comment on the authors obvious unadulterated hero worship of his wife. I won’t make an entire article out of it however. Yes, you are welcome. I’ll fill out the rest of our time here with those monkey molesters at NPR and their prostituting themselves, and to douchebag Clinton and the equally moronic scumbags in Carson City. This way I can offend not just females but others as well. Okay, worshipping false idols. I’m starting to notice a trend amongst survival writers that is disturbing me. Placing their wives on a pedestal and subjecting the rest of us to the nauseating spectacle. Look, I have nothing against females or wives. I actually collect wives. How can I hate them? They are just 180 degrees different. They are apples to oranges. Mars and Venus. Any female wanting to be like males distresses me and when males try to emulate female behavior I immediately weep for western civilization and simultaneously cover my asshole in case they are closet homos.

Let me be blunt. Dude, it’s just a hoo-hoo. All females have them. Just because one of them actually lets you see hers and touch it doesn’t mean she is worthy of worship. Don’t get me wrong, the Little Brain sure appreciates it, but he also knows that if he quits getting access it is time to move on and find another. I learned the hard way and I’m trying to spare you. Worshiping access only gets you disdain from the female. You have to have a more haughty attitude. If they know you need it, you don’t get it. If you act like she is one of many fishes in the sea, she will be much more accommodating. After years of kissing ass and begging, I’ve now come around to being pretty blunt about things. We need each other. Marriage is a two way street. If you want to keep me around, put out. You’re old and losing looks by the day. I’m aging a lot more gratefully and can have my pick now. Work at it a bit. Tough love works pretty good ( not recommended for dealing with young and hot wives, but you’d still be surprised how much NOT kissing ass gets you ). Ladies, sorry, this really wasn’t meant for you. Just chalk it up to me being an asshat again and shrug it off.

A year ago in Carson City Nevada some idiot took an AK-47 and in a crowded I-Hop managed to miss all but four or five people as he went postal. Most of them were members of a local National Guard. It pissed me off at the time because of the BS hero treatment. Our victims are more important than your victims since they work for Big Daddy Obammy. Any civilian massacred warranted barely a mention. Now, in order to push the process of Nazification a bit quicker, the mayor of the city has erected a marble monument in commemoration. Did all the kids in California get a monument ( you know, the one in the schoolyard that the state used as an excuse for semi-auto controls )? Are the Columbine students getting one? How about the Midnight Movie Massacre victims? Why, let’s just erect a monument for any shooting for over, say, five dead. And fly flags at half mast. That way we can waste flag pole lengths like we waste everything else. I’m surrounded by idiots wrapped in morons ( thanks for that one, Ray ). And speaking of killing kids, how about that Bill Clinton? Here’s the hump that greenlighted Reno to BBQ almost a score of children in a Waco barn. Kill kids, get reelected. Kill kids, and the next liberal President, the ones that love the phrase “it’s for the children” as an excuse to push forward their Stalinist Five Year Plans, pays you money to speak at his rally. And for the reelection commercials where the puke has the balls to claim Republicans want to deregulate business, which is bad ( and didn’t Clinton deregulate the control over the derivatives market? ). Oh, it’s true. Republicans would sell their mothers. But the Dems would be in line whining their mother wasn’t teated equally and also had an offer.

Four years ago, NPR-National Pravda Radio-went from mostly classical music to mostly news. Business news. Their blatherers were quite proud of it. “We’re helping you stay abreast of current events in these troubling times”. As the economy went into critical meltdown mode, it paid to cover how quickly your 401k was losing value. Nowadays, NPR is one of the worst as far as news coverage. It is mostly infotainment in the worse tradition of network TV evening news. They went from keeping you informed to keeping you confused as they say a lot yet you hear nothing. My guess? After the fiasco concerning their public funding, the new leader refocused into a propaganda machine for the state. All for a pittance. I thought the percentage from the feds was only about a tenth. If you are going to prostitute yourself, at least make it worth your while. Idiots. Okay, enough complaining and offending for today.
              END

Posted by James M Dakin at 12:54 PM THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2012

Comment

Peddling to work

Peddling to work

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013...g-to-work.html
                http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9186#post9186

I expect corporations to act like asshats. Here is an entity that gets “super citizenship” status, treated by the government as a favored child and looked upon by the bankers as a nice money laundering operation- and yet still manages to waste money and act retarded. Corporations are like children inheriting vast fortunes and being brought up with a silver spoon in their mouth who then precede to kill themselves with a drug overdose at frat party number 316. A corporate CEO will more often than not do nothing right, waste other people’s money, then retire on a golden parachute. It would be the perfect job to have if you didn’t have to put up with douchebags just like yourself all day long. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the small businesses in the last decade have been modeled along corporate lines. Some clueless Yuppie read “Forbes” and “Fortune” all day long while in their CorpCubical and thought the prevailing model was just super deluxe peachy keen. And so they emulated it, including one of the most retarded aspects- chasing the middle class luxury dollar. Wal-Mart is doing the same thing, thinking that they can capture a niche to their way by selling brand name merchandise cheaper than anywhere else. For a time this will work because the middle class is shrinking. But before long you run out of customers. Hell, almost everyone is doing the Middle Class Deposable Income Ambulance Chase. Even a popular Self-Reliance writer elsewhere is selling old timey drinking steins. That worked great and more power to them. But it ain’t going to last much longer.

Except for the 1%, everyone is looking at shrinking incomes and shrinking purchasing power. And luxury items- from eating out to marble countertops to lawn service- are on the chopping block. To expect people growing poor as all costs explode to provide for your salary is the height of foolishness. And yet, wouldn’t it be nice to have your own business? One without debt of course. And one that undercuts all competitors. You have a huge advantage over everyone else. You listened to me. And for ten cents a month ( up to a thousand readers a day, around a hundred bucks a month income from writing [ pre-book purchase income ] which is a real drop from my heyday. Not that I’m complaining as I have the best readers around except for that Shiite Heel that owes me $20. I love you all, but I know no matter how generous you all stay, your numbers will never make me rich-and I don’t care ) I DO spew vast wisdom. You know that the current business model is doomed by our transition from cheap and abundant to dear and rare petroleum. You know you can’t sell luxury and you know any business involving gasoline is in trouble. You might think something as simple as a chainsaw for removing trees won’t be affected, but look at the support structure behind it like the truck driven to the site and the owners expensive mortgage in a dwelling using central heat and a wife driving her own car. The guy who thinks of ways to do without fuel is going to get and keep the future business in a lot of different areas.

First thing, you need a business that you can pedal your bike and bike trailer to. Just by doing away with gasoline and car insurance, you’ve drastically cut your costs. Second, you must be living Bison Frugal, with no rent and no debt. Even an immigrant owner using illegal help can’t compete with you if he has a truck and rent to pay. Remember that guy in Texas that had a blog for some time on cheap trailer living? He lived in a metro area, but his hidden city lot was paid for and had a cheap trailer on it. You can live cheap in the city, some places. Which is where your customers are. Obviously this whole thing won’t work if you are thirty miles from town. A long time ago I mentioned a few bicycle work ideas, such as mowing lawns and delivering video rentals. This was of course pre-Redbox. I’m not sure if it would still be viable. But who says you can’t have more than one bike business? Lawn mowing. Video delivery. Grocery delivery. Mobile computer repair. Knife sharpening and mobile bike repair. Each one is dirt cheap to start with minimal skills. And you won’t have competitors if you start now.

Every business listed above is eventually doomed to fail. Once the economy collapses, so does all services. But you are going to be The Last Man Out. You can even use those skills to a limited extent after the collapse, but that is just a bonus rather than a reason. The reason you want to have a business is because you can only rely on your job for so long. You are betting on grabbing clients that have money a bit longer than you. Like Seniors that can’t drive, shovel snow or mow lawns. The secret is to make these so affordable they would be fools to pay anybody else. Find out what traditional companies are charging. Then how much Junior down the street is charging. Then go below each one in cost. And advertise to them your other skills. For instance, you show up towing a hand powered lawn mower from your bike. You can cheaply mow, sharpen that mower blade AND the clients knives, AND fix their bicycle ( or sell them a bike trailer just like the one you made ). You can delivery groceries for just a few bucks extra, and since you can bike a ways you can charge Albertsons prices and shop at Smiths. The senior only shops at the closest, Albertsons, so she can’t complain ( just be honest with them ). You see where I’m going? Live cheap, charge cheaper than anyone else, and beat the cost of petroleum by going with a Biking Business. You get in great shape, make friends, and become more independent.

END

Posted by James M Dakin at 11:19 AM Monday, August 19, 2013

Comment

Cast Iron

Cast Iron

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013/09/cast-iron.html
                  http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9451#post9451

A minion asked about Apocalypse cookware, although I thought the obvious answer was cast iron. Which just goes to show you I keep assuming everybody is on the same page as me. I know this is dangerous, assuming. I guess since I have so few new loyal minions signing on to be abused by me, I just assume the same batch has been around forever and read all my drivel. And, no, I won’t give you cast iron recipes. Recipes belong on the other seventy-three blogs which chronicle others homesteading efforts. I cook like I write, throwing basic ingredients into a container and burning them. Like most other people, I used to use Teflon cookware. But unlike most people, I am so cheap I can’t throw anything away. So, while common sense dictated that I throw away a pan as soon as the coating started chipping, I kept using the thing until I started losing food to it sticking on. I don’t know how much ass cancer causing chemicals I ingested in the process. Then the day came I was told that no self-respecting survivalist could be without cast-iron and switched over. Now, I can’t believe anyone ever considers using anything else-and that’s with me being unable to season one of the bastards to save my life.

I’ve religiously followed seasoning instructions, yet have never had any success. Now, since I don’t own an oven, I don’t worry about it anymore. Instead of looking at seasoning as a long time non-sticking surface, I look at my non-seasoned skillets like I would a firearm. You just oil them enough so they don’t rust. If they do happen to rust ( the ones in storage-the one I use daily always gets new oil as needed and so can’t do so ), you just sand then down a bit and add as many coats of oil as needed. My current batch of cast iron cookware came from trash picking. They were all rusted. I just sanded with a rough grit sandpaper and added oil. You’ll need to put more coats on if you half-assed the sanding. I’m sure some folks have big sand blaster machines they are eager to use, but a dollar pack of sandpaper from the discount mart works just fine with elbow grease.

As everybody tells you, cast iron adds iron to your diet and cooks evenly without burning some parts. It takes awhile to heat up, but it also continues to throw out heat after the flame is off. But that isn’t the main reason I use it. As long as you oil that sucker, it lasts forever. That is its main appeal. Multi-generational cookware. For barter, buy all those crappy aluminum skillets and pots you find at the thrift store. For your own pans, go with stainless steel. They will eventually rust if you leave water in them, but for using then drying, they will last a very long time as long as the handle was attached to the pot well. I’d invest in a set of different sizes. That should be a once in a lifetime purchase. No enamel to chip.

END

Comment

What's Poor & Cherry Picking

What's Poor & Cherry Picking

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013...-articles.html
                    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9501#post9501

WHATS POOR?

Is anyone really poor in this country? I understand that some folks are losing jobs, others homes. Some crazy dudes are homeless and hungry. But, for all intents and purposes, no one goes hungry for long, if at all. And I’m talking eating nothing but Top Ramen or dumpster diving for a short period only. Only feeling hungry, not actually starving. All the statistics showing one out of three children suffer from hunger ( whatever the ratio is, I’m guessing here ) and so must be fed school lunches is mainly just BS propaganda enriching special interests. Any malnutrition is caused by eating empty calories, not from eating nothing. I can’t think of too many instances were anybody is actually poor to the point of unhealthiness. We all eat, and we can all get some kind of shelter, even if it is just a car roof over our heads. There are too many charities ( many may call themselves non-profit, but the management isn’t working for free ) that hunt out, track down and refuse to not help those in need. There is actually a private market profit motive to help people ( even if a lot of it is public funded ).

So, how can we tell who is poor? I think the thing has gotten ridiculous. Being poor is nothing more than a sliding scale, invented problem, only cared about by either the aforementioned charities or by social climbers. It is almost a game anymore. I liken it to our society becoming little more than a High School with everyone desperately fighting for status. It is all a dream world, as dysfunctional as public education itself. Think about it. Historically, you reach puberty, you are working the fields, apprenticing for a trade ( already years into it by that time ) or looking to mate up so as to procreate. Forcing this natural process to stop for an artificial time of four years, the same problem as any other unnatural constraint happens. Dysfunctional behavior. Teenager angst ( because there used to be no teenagers but merely young adults learning to be independent by being thrown in the deep end of life ). Its all make-believe. Yet it seems we spend our whole lives living like this now. We try to keep forming cliques. Oh, look, those people don’t have cars. They don’t belong. Soon, everyone has a car. Look, those poor people don’t have cell phones. Soon, nobody goes without a cell phone. A college education becomes a tribal marker, independent of its utility. A thirty year mortgage is only a way of sending our offspring to better schools, to belong to a more preferred clique.

Nobody is poor, measured by nourishment and shelter, but everyone keeps moving the marker to make it seem as if they are superior and others are now the New Poor, inferior to themselves. It is all drama and rather comical. Tragicomedy. Those classified as poor today, at least working poor, those that consciously refuse the trappings of luxury, who avoid debt, are looked down by one and all. Even by those in Section Eight housing, I would imagine. The fact that the roles will soon reverse doesn’t help a whole lot of course. Being socially ostracized is a brutal business. Hang in there.

END

CHERRY PICKING

For a short period of time, call it an even ten years give or take, you could shop at Wal-Mart for nearly 100% of everything you ever needed ( other than niche hobby items. Such as books. Regardless of the industries attempts to lower the bar to idiocy, the vast majority of people still do not read as a hobby ) and as a bonus they were, as the saying went, the low price leader. You didn’t have to shop around. You knew the prices were the lowest. Nowadays, Wal-Mart is just another sad sack corporation quite willing to bend over their customers, hump them without lubrication, insist the customer thank them for their violation, then throw them under the bus. Like Sears used to be before. Now, I would wager Wal-Mart is the leader of customer humping. I’d rather go to a used car salesman than to Wal-mart for anything non-food anymore, their quality was dived to such awe inspiring depths. I’ll even pay a slight premium to NOT shop at Wal-Mart anymore. Not that this is necessarily the case, even compared to just two or three years ago. Now, you can easily get cheaper prices at the competitors. Rarely will you pay more. Oh, sure, you compare expensive brand names, Wal-Mart is cheaper. But I don’t buy expensive brand names. Almost never have. The idiots are targeting a shrinking middle class. Nice strategy, Einstein. Anyway, it is back to your parents shopping strategy. Comparison shopping, otherwise known as cherry picking.

Cherry picking is only buying the best prices at each store. You are only picking the best deals, ignoring the more expensive items that are the balancing scale the owner used for his sale items. I used to feel bad for doing that myself, feeling it a bit disloyal. If you treat me fairly, you deserve my business. But I simply don’t care anymore, mainly because I see so many stores raping customers. If your regular peanut butter is on sale for a buck fifty, and your non-sale item is twice what anyone else is charging, I don’t mind cherry picking your store. Other stores I give my business to, and only withhold buying a few items that are cheaper elsewhere. You get most of my business, just not all. Family Dollar consistently has high quality and low prices. I give them a lot of my business. Same with Smiths, although some items I never buy as they are outrageous. But, only some, not the majority. They are on balance fair. K-Mart gets all my former non-food Wal-Mart business, even if I’m paying 25% more. It is in the long run cheaper, since the crap doesn’t fall apart quickly.

The trick is to avoid transportation costs that are a hidden subsidy. If you live in the boonies, and every store is spaced wide apart, you can only cherry pick on a general basis, not a weekly bargain hunt. Of course, most areas east of the Mississippi are compact and people friendly ( you can usually make do without a car ). The West is almost car required. And if you live there, you had better have Plan B for the coming oil shortages. Start cherry picking now, needing it financially or not. Pennies add up. It’s just a good habit to get into. Let the corporations work for you, not the other way around ( they already screw you at work, anyway ).

END

Comment

Down Under Going Up

Down Under Going Up

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013...-going-up.html
                      http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9706#post9706

Please excuse me but every time I read an article at Rawles’ on moving to another country, I feel compelled to yet again argue against it. Forget that for most of us bugging out of King Kenya’s overseas colony is an economic impossibility ( you must possess a handful of in demand skills. For me, I’d rather earn minimum wage here than try to survive on the $100 a month I’m averaging on my writing somewhere else. I’m not a doctor or engineer, and the last thing the Third World needs is more semi-skilled labor ). Assume you could leave, that you would have money. The simple fact is that you have no idea what your paradise on earth is going to look like in ten or twenty years. It could turn into a real craphole, and the cesspit you had left could be a lot better after it shed its population. Right now it seems that Australia keeps going up in flames from extreme drought, Texas infernos covering half a continent. Hey, if I had my druthers I’d live there myself. It seems a great place to be. Once you’ve left the coastal urban areas, almost nobody is around to bother you. It would be a lot easier to live in a very small town surrounded by nothing over there than it is here.

Gun laws suck over there, although I’d say no worse than in half our states. My point is that thirty years ago, it was THE place to go for the survivalist on the move. And nobody really saw the kind of environmental disaster going on now, nor probably thought the gun laws could get stupid so quick. Forty years ago, Oregon was THE place to go for the survivalist hoping to avoid sucking in radiation after the Soviet Bear nuked us ( “They’re after our American Way Of Life!” ). There was plenty of places to grow your own food with great rainfall. Land prices were affordable. Today, it is a socialist craphole I wouldn’t stick your dingus in. Five years ago Elko was a nice small sleepy town of 16k folks. Still too big for my taste but the smallest you can get and still find a job. After gold temporarily jumped up another two thousand screaming asswhores moved in, screwing up traffic for all hours of the day, jacking up rents and introducing big city stupid as a lot of newcomers were dregs from elsewhere ( I have no idea what they were thinking moving here, unless they were so delusional they thought someone would hire them ). It makes me want to move, the only thing stopping me is that in six years, Baby Jesus willing, all the gold reserves will be gone and we can have our implosion and shed the excess parasites. Crap happens everywhere. You might as well stick with the devil you know.

I keep forgetting to tell you but the latest book is available on Kindle ( look over to the right for the graphic ad. If your computer doesn’t show them, just go to Amazon and search under my name for all my titles ).

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
                      Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
                      Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
                      If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
                      www.BisonPress.com
                      My books on PDF available at
                      http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?k...relevance-desc
                      By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

Last edited by Meercat #3; 11-18-2013, 02:44 AM. Reason: Down Under Going Up

Comment

Urban Jungle

Urban Jungle

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013...an-jungle.html
                        http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9786#post9786

Globally, most of us live in cities. Even in third world crap holes ( which will of course quickly include the US, minus warm weather in December ), you go to the city for a job or for food. Centralized agriculture isn’t just a force that wiped out American farmers. And now that the whole globe is dependent on natural gas derived fertilizer and long distant grain transportation, of course we are running out those fuels that made that infrastructure possible ( running out of AFFORDABLE fuels ). And you don’t replace a centralized system with a decentralized one when you are out of money, out of resources and out of time ( overpopulation ). Urban areas are now way overcrowded. They were overcrowded before Peak Oil in 2005 ( if you discount Unicorn Glitter Fuels from production, we have already gone over to the right of the bell curve ), only sustaining populations on petroleum grains. You can’t suddenly go back to smaller cities fed by green belts surrounding the urban area, each self-sustaining. You have the current population eating on unsustainably high per acre yields that can’t be reproduced by hand using current demographics. Organics CAN yield much higher than mechanical farming, but only after the soil is reconditioned and kept healthy ( a historic abnormality ). The good news of course is that the long term trend is your friend. People are not going to go in the opposite direction of the money. The cities have the money, money equals food, people move to the city. If you can swim against the current, you win in the end.

Now, I’m not talking Nirvana here. Living in the rural areas has its own set of problems. All I’m saying is that the cities will get more crowded, more dangerous and more expensive. Which means rural land, although NOT prime farm land ( if I wasn’t worried about race wars and a second Yankee invasion, I’d live in the South, restoring worn out land ), in the long term, will be all things being equal, a little less of all those things. Everything will get more expensive and more and more shortages will be the norm, given that urbanites are using their economic mastery to bid for what is left. But they certainly don’t want crappy land out of the way. I’m not saying you will be perfectly safe in the country, just safer. And you won’t be able to live like city-folk. That takes too much money ( if you try for the slick magazine way of country life, you are just city type Yuppie scum with a garden and chickens ). I’d say, devolving from the car driving Wal-Mart shopping American way of life is going to be one of the few doable bright spots on our way towards collapse. Yes, my gloriously loyal minions, here is your once a year optimistic article.

Enjoy it while you can.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
                        Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
                        Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
                        If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
                        www.BisonPress.com
                        My books on PDF available at
                        http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?k...relevance-desc
                        By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

Comment

Italian bridge collapse sends cars plunging, killing 26

Italian bridge collapse sends cars plunging, killing 26

COLLEEN BARRY and DANICA KIRKA

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/repor...103103084.html
                          http://christian-identity.net/forum/...8616#post18616
                          http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...8616#post18616

MILAN (AP) — A 51-year-old highway bridge in the Italian port city of Genoa collapsed in a driving rain Tuesday, killing at least 26 people and injuring 15 others as it sent dozens of vehicles tumbling into a heap of concrete and twisted steel.

Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte called it "an immense tragedy ... inconceivable in a modern system like ours, a modern country."

The disaster, on a major interchange connecting Genoa and other northern cities with beaches in eastern Liguria into France, focused attention on Italy's aging infrastructure, particularly its concrete bridges and viaducts built in the postwar boom of the 1950s and 1960s.

What caused the Morandi Bridge to fall remained unknown, and prosecutors said they were opening an investigation but had not identified any targets. Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli said the collapse was "unacceptable" and that if negligence played a role "whoever made a mistake must pay."

Early speculation focused on the structural weakness of the span.

Witnesses reported hearing a roar as the 45-meter (nearly 150-foot) bridge collapsed in a torrential rain during midday traffic on the eve of a major holiday that sees most Italians abandoning cities for beaches and mountains.

One unidentified woman who was standing below told RAI state TV that it crumbled as if it were a mound of baking flour. Video of the collapse, showing a misty scene of crumbled concrete, captured a man screaming: "Oh, God! Oh, God!"

Civil Protection authorities said at least 30 cars and three heavy vehicles were on the 80-meter (260-foot) section of the span that collapsed in the industrial area of warehouses.

There was an immense gap where the bridge used to be, and one heart-stopping image showed a green truck halted on the rain-slickened roadway just short of the edge.

A man who was standing under the bridge in front of his truck at the time of the collapse called it "a miracle" that he survived. The middle-aged man, who did not give his name, said the shockwave sent him flying over 10 meters (33 feet) into a wall, injuring his right shoulder and hip.

"I was in front of the truck and flew away, like everything else. Yes, I think it's a miracle. I don't know what to say. I'm out of words," he said, walking away from the site.

More than 300 rescue workers and canine crews were on the scene. They used heavy equipment and dogs to search for survivors in the rubble. At least four people were pulled alive from vehicles under the bridge, ANSA reported.

"Operations are ongoing to extract people imprisoned below parts of the bridge and twisted metal," said Angelo Borrelli, the head of Italy's civil protection agency.

Officials evacuated several hundred people living along the raised highway that traverses the city as a precaution.

The effort would continue into the night.

"It is a bit like working on an earthquake," said firefighters spokesman Luca Cari. "The main difficulty is removing the rubble and safeguarding the rescue teams."

There was confusion over the death toll throughout the day, with different officials giving conflicting numbers.

Officials in the Liguria region said Tuesday night that 26 people had died, saying two more bodies had been found and one of the 16 injured had died in surgery.

After visiting the scene, Conte told RAI state TV the tragedy was "a serious wound for Genoa, Liguria and Italy."

The Italian CNR civil engineering society said that structures dating from when the Morandi Bridge was built had surpassed their lifespan. It called for a "Marshall Plan" to repair or replace tens of thousands of bridges and viaducts built in the 1950s and 1960s. Updating and reinforcing the bridges would be more expensive than destroying and rebuilding them with technology that could last a century.

They cited previous accidents: a bridge that fell in April 2017 in the northern province of Cuneo, crushing a carabinieri police car after the officers and driver had barely managed to get away in time; and an overpass that in the northern city of Lecco that collapsed under exceptional weight, crushing a car and killing the driver.

The design of the bridge has been criticized in the past. Antonio Brencich, a professor specializing in reinforced concrete construction at the University of Genoa, called the span "a failure of engineering" in an interview in 2016.

"That bridge is wrong. Sooner or later it will have to be replaced. I do not know when. But there will be a time when the cost of maintenance will be higher than a replacement," he told Italian media Primocanale.

Other engineers said corrosion or weather conditions could have contributed.

"As this reinforced and pre-stressed concrete bridge has been there for 50 years, it is possible that corrosion of tendons or reinforcement may be a contributory factor," said Ian Firth, former president of The Institution of Structural Engineers, a London-based international network. He called the bridge "an unusual design."

Mehdi Kashani, an associate professor in structural mechanics at the University of Southampton in the U.K., said maintenance issues and pressure from "dynamic loads," such as traffic and wind, could have resulted in "fatigue damage in bridge components."

Borrelli said highway engineers were checking other parts of the bridge and that some areas were evacuated as a precaution.

"You can see there are very big portions of the bridge (that collapsed). We need to remove all of the rubble to ascertain that all of the people have been reached," he said.

The transport minister, Toninelli, said the company that has the concession to operate that section of highway said its maintenance on the bridge was up to date and no work was being done at the time of the collapse. But he added that they were about to launch a 20 million euro ($22.7 million) bidding process for significant safety work on the bridge.

"There has not been sufficient maintenance and checks, and safety work for many bridges and viaducts and bridges in Italy constructed — almost all — during the 1960s," he said.

It was the second deadly disaster on an Italian highway in as many weeks.

On Aug. 6, a tanker truck carrying a highly flammable gas exploded after rear-ending a stopped truck and getting hit from behind near the northern city of Bologna. The accident killed one person, injured dozens and blew apart a section of a raised eight-lane highway.

==========

Itz Fun Being A Witless Meercat!!!

Comment

Southern California reels from magnitude 7.1 quake

Southern California reels from magnitude 7.1 quake

https://news.yahoo.com/strongest-ear...040709226.html
                            http://christian-identity.net/forum/...9983#post19983
                            http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...9983#post19983

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A quake with a magnitude of 7.1 jolted much of California, cracking buildings, setting fires, breaking roads and causing several injuries while seismologists warned that large aftershocks were expected to continue for days, if not weeks.

The Friday night quake — preceded by Thursday's 6.4-magnitude temblor in the Mojave Desert — was the largest Southern California quake in at least 20 years and was followed by a series of large and small aftershocks, including a few above magnitude 5.0.

There is about a 1-in-10 chance that another 7.0 quake could hit within the next week, said Lucy Jones, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology and a former science adviser at the U.S. Geological Survey.

The chance of a 5.0-magnitude quake "is approaching certainty," she added.

Aftershocks from the new main quake could occur for years, Jones said.

However, the quake was unlikely to affect fault lines outside of the area, she said, noting that the gigantic San Andreas Fault was far away.

The quake struck at 8:19 p.m. and was centered 11 miles (18 kilometers) from Ridgecrest in the same areas where the previous quake hit.

"These earthquakes are related," Jones said, adding that the new quake probably ruptured along about 25 miles (40 kilometers) of fault line and was part of a continuing sequence.

Gov. Gavin Newsom activated the state Office of Emergency Services operations center "to its highest level" and announced he had requested that President Donald Trump issue an emergency declaration so the state could receive federal aid.

The quake was felt as far north as Sacramento, as far east as Las Vegas and as far south as Mexico.

The area in and around Ridgecrest, already trying to recover from the previous temblor, took the brunt of damage. Several thousand people were without power, and there were reports of cracked buildings.

"There are significant reports of structure fires, mostly as a result of gas leaks or gas line breaks throughout the city" and daybreak Saturday could show even more serious damage, said Mark Ghilarducci, director of California Office of Emergency Services.

Local fire and police officials said they were initially swamped by calls for medical and ambulance service. But there was "nothing but minor injuries such as cuts and bruises, by the grace of God," Ridgecrest Police Chief Jed McLaughlin said.

Two building fires — one involving a mobile home — were quickly doused, and there were several reports of natural gas leaks, but the lines were shut off, McLaughlin said.

For the second time in as many days, Ridgecrest Regional Hospital wheeled patients out of the building, some still hooked to IVs, CNN reported.

Nearby, the tiny town of Trona, with about 2,000 residents, was reported to have at least one collapsed building. Roads were buckled or blocked, and police put out a call for bottled water for residents.

State Route 178 in Kern County was closed by a rockslide and had severe cracking.

Several homes were knocked off their foundations. Buildings were cracked, but there were only minor injuries, authorities said.

In downtown Los Angeles, 150 miles away, offices in skyscrapers rolled and rocked for at least 30 seconds.

Andrew Lippman, who lives in suburban South Pasadena, was sitting outside and reading the paper when Friday's quake hit and calculated it lasted 45 seconds.

"I could see power lines swaying," he said.

Disneyland in Orange County and Six Flags Magic Mountain in Santa Clarita closed their rides.

An NBA Summer League game in Las Vegas was stopped after the quake. Speakers over the court at the Thomas & Mack Center continued swaying more than 10 minutes after the quake.

In Los Angeles, the quake rattled Dodger Stadium in the fourth inning of the team's game against the San Diego Padres. But the game went on, and the Padres won, 3-2.

"Not many people can say they threw a strike during an earthquake," Eric Lauer, who was on the mound at the time, said later. "My ball, my pitch, started an earthquake."

"Everyone was jumping over us to leave," said Daniel Earle, 52, of Playa del Rey, who was sitting with his wife in the stadium's reserve level. "My wife was holding us, like squeezing. I'm surprised my arm is still here."

Earlier Friday, Los Angeles had revealed plans to lower slightly the threshold for public alerts from its earthquake early warning app. But officials said the change was in the works before the Thursday quake, which gave scientists at the California Institute of Technology's seismology lab 48 seconds of warning but did not trigger a public notification.

"Our goal is to alert people who might experience potentially damaging shaking, not just feel the shaking," said Robert de Groot, a spokesman for the USGS's ShakeAlert system, which is being developed for California, Oregon and Washington.

The West Coast ShakeAlert system has provided non-public earthquake notifications on a daily basis to many test users, including emergency agencies, industries, transportation systems and schools.

Construction of a network of seismic-monitoring stations for the West Coast is just over half complete, with most coverage in Southern California, San Francisco Bay Area and the Seattle-Tacoma area. Eventually, the system will send out alerts over the same system used for Amber Alerts to defined areas that are expected to be affected by a quake, de Groot said.

California is partnering with the federal government to build the statewide earthquake warning system, with the goal of turning it on by June 2021. The state has already spent at least $25 million building it, including installing hundreds of seismic stations throughout the state.

This year, Newsom said the state needed $16.3 million to finish the project, which included money for stations to monitor seismic activity, plus nearly $7 million for "outreach and education." The state Legislature approved the funding last month, and Newsom signed it into law.

Comment

Intelligence forecast sees a post-coronavirus world upended by climate change and splintering societies

Intelligence forecast sees a post-coronavirus world upended by climate change and splintering societies

ZOG says the Future is Fucked Up

By Shane Harris
                              April 8, 2021 at 9:23 a.m. CDT

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...819_story.html
                              http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...2713#post22713
                              http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...2713#post22713

U.S. intelligence officials have little comfort to offer a pandemic-weary planet about where the world is heading in the next 20 years. Short answer: It looks pretty bleak.

On Thursday, the National Intelligence Council, a center in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence that creates strategic forecasts and estimates, often based on material gathered by U.S. spy agencies, released its quadrennial “Global Trends” report.

Looking over the time horizon, it finds a world unsettled by the coronavirus pandemic, the ravages of climate change — which will propel mass migration — and a widening gap between what people demand from their leaders and what they can actually deliver.

The intelligence community has long warned policymakers and the public that pandemic disease could profoundly reshape global politics and U.S. national security. The authors of the report, which does not represent official U.S. policy, describe the pandemic as a preview of crises to come. It has been a globally destabilizing event — the council called it “the most significant, singular global disruption since World War II — that “has reminded the world of its fragility” and “shaken long-held assumptions” about how well governments and institutions could respond to a catastrophe.

Tracking the pandemic

At the same time, the pandemic accelerated and exacerbated social and economic fissures that had already emerged. And it underscored the risks from “more and cascading global challenges, ranging from disease to climate change to the disruptions from new technologies and financial crises,” the authors write.

In language that will resonate with just about anyone who has tread water in the past year, the authors write of a “looming disequilibrium between existing and future challenges and the ability of institutions and systems to respond.”

Within societies, fragmentation is increasing — political, cultural, economic — and “large segments of the global population are becoming wary of institutions and governments that they see as unwilling or unable to address their needs,” the report says.

The effects of the pandemic will linger, and could shape future generations’ expectations of their governments, particularly as a warming world leads to new human conflicts, including, in the most dire scenario, global food shortages that spawn mass violence.

Global power was contested long before the pandemic, and those trends haven’t abated.

The report sees the international stage as largely being shaped by a rivalry between China and the United States, along with its allies. No single state is poised to become the dominant global force, the authors write. And competing powers will jockey for position, leading to “a more conflict-prone and volatile geopolitical environment.”

Technology, with all its potential to boost economies and enhance communication, also may aggravate political tension — as it already has.

People “are likely to gravitate to information silos of people who share similar views, reinforcing beliefs and understanding of the truth,” the report concludes.

Prediction is an inherently risky business, and intelligence practitioners are quick to emphasize that they can’t see the future. But the National Intelligence Council imagines five scenarios on a kind of sliding scale that may help tell us where the world is turning as we approach 2040.

On the rosiest end, a “Renaissance of democracies” ushers in a new era of U.S. global leadership, in which economic growth and technological achievements offer solutions to the world’s biggest problems and Russia and China are largely left in the dust, authoritarian vestiges whose brightest scientists and entrepreneurs have fled to the United States and Europe.

At the dark end of the future is “tragedy and mobilization,” when the United States is no longer the dominant player, and a global environmental catastrophe prompts food shortages and a “bottom-up” revolution, with younger people, scarred by their leaders’ failures during the coronavirus pandemic, embracing policies to repair the climate and tackle long-standing social inequality. In this scenario, a European Union dominated by green parties works with the United Nations to expand international aid and focus on sustainability, and China joins the effort in part to quell domestic unrest in its cities affected by famine.

In between those extremes, the report imagines three other possibilities: China becomes a leading state but not globally dominant; the United States and China prosper and compete as the two major powers; and globalization fails to create a single source of influence, and the world more or less devolves into competing blocs, preoccupied with threats to their prosperity and security.

The present has a lot of say over the future. And there, the authors find reason for alarm.

“The international system — including the organizations, alliances, rules, and norms — is poorly set up to address the compounding global challenges facing populations,” the authors write.

But the pandemic may offer lessons on how not to repeat recent history. The authors note that although European countries restricted travel and exports of medical supplies early in the crisis, the European Union has now rallied around an economic rescue package. That “could bolster the European integration projecting going forward.”

“Covid-19 could also lead to redirection of national budgets toward pandemic response and economic recovery,” they add, “diverting funds from defense expenditures, foreign aid, and infrastructure programs in some countries, at least in the near term.”

But overall, the pandemic leaves the authors with more questions than answers — and humbled.

“As researchers and analysts, we must be ever vigilant, asking better questions, frequently challenging our assumptions, checking our biases, and looking for weak signals of change,” they write.

Their work is not all doomsaying. The forces shaping the world “are not fixed in perpetuity,” the authors say. Countries that exploit technology and planning, particularly those that plan ahead for the seemingly inevitable consequences of climate change, will be poised to best manage the crisis. And countries that harness artificial intelligence could boost productivity and expand their economies in ways that let government deliver more services, reduce debt and help cover the costs of caring for aging populations.

Ultimately, the societies that succeed will be those that can adapt to change, but also forge social consensus around what should be done, the authors write. In a splintering world, that may be the hardest scenario to imagine.

Comment

The Pittsburgh Bridge Collapse and the Infrastructure Bill

Congress put climate pork ahead of roads and bridges

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-h...pos_6#cxrecs_s

President Joe Biden and the Mayor of Pittsburgh Ed Gainey visit the scene of the Forbes Avenue Bridge collapse over Fern Hollow Creek in Frick Park in Pittsburgh, January 28.

President Biden couldn’t have picked more grimly ironic timing to visit Pittsburgh to promote the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill he signed last November. Hours after a snowy bridge in the city collapsed, injuring 10 people, the President promised to fix all of the nation’s 43,000 faltering bridges. “We’re sending the money,” he assured.

Sorry, he isn’t. The bill he signed doesn’t have nearly enough money unless his Administration plans to borrow from the Energy Department’s green energy venture-capital fund. The bill includes $40 billion in new funding for bridges, a pittance compared to the $156 billion for mass transit and rail that are bleeding cash due to generous labor agreements and low ridership. Mass transit had already received $70 billion in pandemic relief.

The infrastructure bill’s other big winner is green energy. The Department of Energy is getting $21 billion for “demonstration projects” for clean hydrogen, advanced nuclear, carbon capture and other green largesse. There’s also $11 billion for states and utilities for grid “resilience” (i.e., backing up renewables) and $6 billion to rescue nuclear plants that renewable subsidies are driving out of business.

This is on top of its expanded loan guarantee program. “Our Loan Programs Office (LPO) is back in business, with $40 billion in loan authority to finance large-scale clean energy deployment projects,” the department boasts on its website. It notes that loan guarantee applications have increased 23-fold. Expect many more taxpayer-backed startups like Solyndra to go bust.

In other words, the government will spend tens of billions of dollars on renewables that make the electric grid less reliable, and then tens of billions more on transmission lines, batteries and nuclear to back up unreliable renewables. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg will also get $7.5 billion for an electric-vehicle charging network, and schools $5 billion for “clean-energy” buses.

Democrats want to spend another $555 billion on climate in the Build Back Better bill. Democrats this week also introduced a bill that they say is needed to compete with China. It includes still more climate spending, including $3 billion for solar manufacturing and cash for labor unions.

Government is about setting priorities, and bridges and roads took a distant back seat to green pork in the infrastructure bill.
                                Last edited by Librarian; 01-30-2022, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X