+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ZOG Is Falling Apart

Default Wives selling out to Clinton

Wives selling out to Clinton

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2012...o-clinton.html
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=6691#post6691

Reading the latest novel “Half Past Midnight” afforded me quite a few moments of pure glee ( three thousand people could live off the land foraging as they waged a guerrilla war against the towns invaders? One for the record books ) but despite such nonsense I’ve been getting a few good ideas from it as well ( still a good enough read to recommend, just don’t expect a Top Twenty Post Apoc Books Of All Time contender ). I simply must comment on the authors obvious unadulterated hero worship of his wife. I won’t make an entire article out of it however. Yes, you are welcome. I’ll fill out the rest of our time here with those monkey molesters at NPR and their prostituting themselves, and to douchebag Clinton and the equally moronic scumbags in Carson City. This way I can offend not just females but others as well. Okay, worshipping false idols. I’m starting to notice a trend amongst survival writers that is disturbing me. Placing their wives on a pedestal and subjecting the rest of us to the nauseating spectacle. Look, I have nothing against females or wives. I actually collect wives. How can I hate them? They are just 180 degrees different. They are apples to oranges. Mars and Venus. Any female wanting to be like males distresses me and when males try to emulate female behavior I immediately weep for western civilization and simultaneously cover my asshole in case they are closet homos.

Let me be blunt. Dude, it’s just a hoo-hoo. All females have them. Just because one of them actually lets you see hers and touch it doesn’t mean she is worthy of worship. Don’t get me wrong, the Little Brain sure appreciates it, but he also knows that if he quits getting access it is time to move on and find another. I learned the hard way and I’m trying to spare you. Worshiping access only gets you disdain from the female. You have to have a more haughty attitude. If they know you need it, you don’t get it. If you act like she is one of many fishes in the sea, she will be much more accommodating. After years of kissing ass and begging, I’ve now come around to being pretty blunt about things. We need each other. Marriage is a two way street. If you want to keep me around, put out. You’re old and losing looks by the day. I’m aging a lot more gratefully and can have my pick now. Work at it a bit. Tough love works pretty good ( not recommended for dealing with young and hot wives, but you’d still be surprised how much NOT kissing ass gets you ). Ladies, sorry, this really wasn’t meant for you. Just chalk it up to me being an asshat again and shrug it off.

A year ago in Carson City Nevada some idiot took an AK-47 and in a crowded I-Hop managed to miss all but four or five people as he went postal. Most of them were members of a local National Guard. It pissed me off at the time because of the BS hero treatment. Our victims are more important than your victims since they work for Big Daddy Obammy. Any civilian massacred warranted barely a mention. Now, in order to push the process of Nazification a bit quicker, the mayor of the city has erected a marble monument in commemoration. Did all the kids in California get a monument ( you know, the one in the schoolyard that the state used as an excuse for semi-auto controls )? Are the Columbine students getting one? How about the Midnight Movie Massacre victims? Why, let’s just erect a monument for any shooting for over, say, five dead. And fly flags at half mast. That way we can waste flag pole lengths like we waste everything else. I’m surrounded by idiots wrapped in morons ( thanks for that one, Ray ). And speaking of killing kids, how about that Bill Clinton? Here’s the hump that greenlighted Reno to BBQ almost a score of children in a Waco barn. Kill kids, get reelected. Kill kids, and the next liberal President, the ones that love the phrase “it’s for the children” as an excuse to push forward their Stalinist Five Year Plans, pays you money to speak at his rally. And for the reelection commercials where the puke has the balls to claim Republicans want to deregulate business, which is bad ( and didn’t Clinton deregulate the control over the derivatives market? ). Oh, it’s true. Republicans would sell their mothers. But the Dems would be in line whining their mother wasn’t teated equally and also had an offer.

Four years ago, NPR-National Pravda Radio-went from mostly classical music to mostly news. Business news. Their blatherers were quite proud of it. “We’re helping you stay abreast of current events in these troubling times”. As the economy went into critical meltdown mode, it paid to cover how quickly your 401k was losing value. Nowadays, NPR is one of the worst as far as news coverage. It is mostly infotainment in the worse tradition of network TV evening news. They went from keeping you informed to keeping you confused as they say a lot yet you hear nothing. My guess? After the fiasco concerning their public funding, the new leader refocused into a propaganda machine for the state. All for a pittance. I thought the percentage from the feds was only about a tenth. If you are going to prostitute yourself, at least make it worth your while. Idiots. Okay, enough complaining and offending for today.
    END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale

I've got an actual professional to archieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. I haven't got a copy of it yet, but I'm thinking this thing will be better than sliced white bread. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. Depending on how much the production company charges per copy, my cut will be about $5 to $6. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:

http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. Or, visit

http://bisonpress.com/affiliatebooks.html

You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.

Posted by James M Dakin at 12:54 PM THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2012

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/

Default Peddling to work

Peddling to work

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013...g-to-work.html
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9186#post9186

I expect corporations to act like asshats. Here is an entity that gets “super citizenship” status, treated by the government as a favored child and looked upon by the bankers as a nice money laundering operation- and yet still manages to waste money and act retarded. Corporations are like children inheriting vast fortunes and being brought up with a silver spoon in their mouth who then precede to kill themselves with a drug overdose at frat party number 316. A corporate CEO will more often than not do nothing right, waste other people’s money, then retire on a golden parachute. It would be the perfect job to have if you didn’t have to put up with douchebags just like yourself all day long. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the small businesses in the last decade have been modeled along corporate lines. Some clueless Yuppie read “Forbes” and “Fortune” all day long while in their CorpCubical and thought the prevailing model was just super deluxe peachy keen. And so they emulated it, including one of the most retarded aspects- chasing the middle class luxury dollar. Wal-Mart is doing the same thing, thinking that they can capture a niche to their way by selling brand name merchandise cheaper than anywhere else. For a time this will work because the middle class is shrinking. But before long you run out of customers. Hell, almost everyone is doing the Middle Class Deposable Income Ambulance Chase. Even a popular Self-Reliance writer elsewhere is selling old timey drinking steins. That worked great and more power to them. But it ain’t going to last much longer.

Except for the 1%, everyone is looking at shrinking incomes and shrinking purchasing power. And luxury items- from eating out to marble countertops to lawn service- are on the chopping block. To expect people growing poor as all costs explode to provide for your salary is the height of foolishness. And yet, wouldn’t it be nice to have your own business? One without debt of course. And one that undercuts all competitors. You have a huge advantage over everyone else. You listened to me. And for ten cents a month ( up to a thousand readers a day, around a hundred bucks a month income from writing [ pre-book purchase income ] which is a real drop from my heyday. Not that I’m complaining as I have the best readers around except for that Shiite Heel that owes me $20. I love you all, but I know no matter how generous you all stay, your numbers will never make me rich-and I don’t care ) I DO spew vast wisdom. You know that the current business model is doomed by our transition from cheap and abundant to dear and rare petroleum. You know you can’t sell luxury and you know any business involving gasoline is in trouble. You might think something as simple as a chainsaw for removing trees won’t be affected, but look at the support structure behind it like the truck driven to the site and the owners expensive mortgage in a dwelling using central heat and a wife driving her own car. The guy who thinks of ways to do without fuel is going to get and keep the future business in a lot of different areas.

First thing, you need a business that you can pedal your bike and bike trailer to. Just by doing away with gasoline and car insurance, you’ve drastically cut your costs. Second, you must be living Bison Frugal, with no rent and no debt. Even an immigrant owner using illegal help can’t compete with you if he has a truck and rent to pay. Remember that guy in Texas that had a blog for some time on cheap trailer living? He lived in a metro area, but his hidden city lot was paid for and had a cheap trailer on it. You can live cheap in the city, some places. Which is where your customers are. Obviously this whole thing won’t work if you are thirty miles from town. A long time ago I mentioned a few bicycle work ideas, such as mowing lawns and delivering video rentals. This was of course pre-Redbox. I’m not sure if it would still be viable. But who says you can’t have more than one bike business? Lawn mowing. Video delivery. Grocery delivery. Mobile computer repair. Knife sharpening and mobile bike repair. Each one is dirt cheap to start with minimal skills. And you won’t have competitors if you start now.

Every business listed above is eventually doomed to fail. Once the economy collapses, so does all services. But you are going to be The Last Man Out. You can even use those skills to a limited extent after the collapse, but that is just a bonus rather than a reason. The reason you want to have a business is because you can only rely on your job for so long. You are betting on grabbing clients that have money a bit longer than you. Like Seniors that can’t drive, shovel snow or mow lawns. The secret is to make these so affordable they would be fools to pay anybody else. Find out what traditional companies are charging. Then how much Junior down the street is charging. Then go below each one in cost. And advertise to them your other skills. For instance, you show up towing a hand powered lawn mower from your bike. You can cheaply mow, sharpen that mower blade AND the clients knives, AND fix their bicycle ( or sell them a bike trailer just like the one you made ). You can delivery groceries for just a few bucks extra, and since you can bike a ways you can charge Albertsons prices and shop at Smiths. The senior only shops at the closest, Albertsons, so she can’t complain ( just be honest with them ). You see where I’m going? Live cheap, charge cheaper than anyone else, and beat the cost of petroleum by going with a Biking Business. You get in great shape, make friends, and become more independent.

END

Posted by James M Dakin at 11:19 AM Monday, August 19, 2013

Default Cast Iron

Cast Iron

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013/09/cast-iron.html
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9451#post9451

A minion asked about Apocalypse cookware, although I thought the obvious answer was cast iron. Which just goes to show you I keep assuming everybody is on the same page as me. I know this is dangerous, assuming. I guess since I have so few new loyal minions signing on to be abused by me, I just assume the same batch has been around forever and read all my drivel. And, no, I wonít give you cast iron recipes. Recipes belong on the other seventy-three blogs which chronicle others homesteading efforts. I cook like I write, throwing basic ingredients into a container and burning them. Like most other people, I used to use Teflon cookware. But unlike most people, I am so cheap I canít throw anything away. So, while common sense dictated that I throw away a pan as soon as the coating started chipping, I kept using the thing until I started losing food to it sticking on. I donít know how much ass cancer causing chemicals I ingested in the process. Then the day came I was told that no self-respecting survivalist could be without cast-iron and switched over. Now, I canít believe anyone ever considers using anything else-and thatís with me being unable to season one of the bastards to save my life.

Iíve religiously followed seasoning instructions, yet have never had any success. Now, since I donít own an oven, I donít worry about it anymore. Instead of looking at seasoning as a long time non-sticking surface, I look at my non-seasoned skillets like I would a firearm. You just oil them enough so they donít rust. If they do happen to rust ( the ones in storage-the one I use daily always gets new oil as needed and so canít do so ), you just sand then down a bit and add as many coats of oil as needed. My current batch of cast iron cookware came from trash picking. They were all rusted. I just sanded with a rough grit sandpaper and added oil. Youíll need to put more coats on if you half-assed the sanding. Iím sure some folks have big sand blaster machines they are eager to use, but a dollar pack of sandpaper from the discount mart works just fine with elbow grease.

As everybody tells you, cast iron adds iron to your diet and cooks evenly without burning some parts. It takes awhile to heat up, but it also continues to throw out heat after the flame is off. But that isnít the main reason I use it. As long as you oil that sucker, it lasts forever. That is its main appeal. Multi-generational cookware. For barter, buy all those crappy aluminum skillets and pots you find at the thrift store. For your own pans, go with stainless steel. They will eventually rust if you leave water in them, but for using then drying, they will last a very long time as long as the handle was attached to the pot well. Iíd invest in a set of different sizes. That should be a once in a lifetime purchase. No enamel to chip.

END

Default What's Poor & Cherry Picking

What's Poor & Cherry Picking

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013...-articles.html
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9501#post9501

WHATS POOR?

Is anyone really poor in this country? I understand that some folks are losing jobs, others homes. Some crazy dudes are homeless and hungry. But, for all intents and purposes, no one goes hungry for long, if at all. And I’m talking eating nothing but Top Ramen or dumpster diving for a short period only. Only feeling hungry, not actually starving. All the statistics showing one out of three children suffer from hunger ( whatever the ratio is, I’m guessing here ) and so must be fed school lunches is mainly just BS propaganda enriching special interests. Any malnutrition is caused by eating empty calories, not from eating nothing. I can’t think of too many instances were anybody is actually poor to the point of unhealthiness. We all eat, and we can all get some kind of shelter, even if it is just a car roof over our heads. There are too many charities ( many may call themselves non-profit, but the management isn’t working for free ) that hunt out, track down and refuse to not help those in need. There is actually a private market profit motive to help people ( even if a lot of it is public funded ).

So, how can we tell who is poor? I think the thing has gotten ridiculous. Being poor is nothing more than a sliding scale, invented problem, only cared about by either the aforementioned charities or by social climbers. It is almost a game anymore. I liken it to our society becoming little more than a High School with everyone desperately fighting for status. It is all a dream world, as dysfunctional as public education itself. Think about it. Historically, you reach puberty, you are working the fields, apprenticing for a trade ( already years into it by that time ) or looking to mate up so as to procreate. Forcing this natural process to stop for an artificial time of four years, the same problem as any other unnatural constraint happens. Dysfunctional behavior. Teenager angst ( because there used to be no teenagers but merely young adults learning to be independent by being thrown in the deep end of life ). Its all make-believe. Yet it seems we spend our whole lives living like this now. We try to keep forming cliques. Oh, look, those people don’t have cars. They don’t belong. Soon, everyone has a car. Look, those poor people don’t have cell phones. Soon, nobody goes without a cell phone. A college education becomes a tribal marker, independent of its utility. A thirty year mortgage is only a way of sending our offspring to better schools, to belong to a more preferred clique.

Nobody is poor, measured by nourishment and shelter, but everyone keeps moving the marker to make it seem as if they are superior and others are now the New Poor, inferior to themselves. It is all drama and rather comical. Tragicomedy. Those classified as poor today, at least working poor, those that consciously refuse the trappings of luxury, who avoid debt, are looked down by one and all. Even by those in Section Eight housing, I would imagine. The fact that the roles will soon reverse doesn’t help a whole lot of course. Being socially ostracized is a brutal business. Hang in there.

END

CHERRY PICKING

For a short period of time, call it an even ten years give or take, you could shop at Wal-Mart for nearly 100% of everything you ever needed ( other than niche hobby items. Such as books. Regardless of the industries attempts to lower the bar to idiocy, the vast majority of people still do not read as a hobby ) and as a bonus they were, as the saying went, the low price leader. You didn’t have to shop around. You knew the prices were the lowest. Nowadays, Wal-Mart is just another sad sack corporation quite willing to bend over their customers, hump them without lubrication, insist the customer thank them for their violation, then throw them under the bus. Like Sears used to be before. Now, I would wager Wal-Mart is the leader of customer humping. I’d rather go to a used car salesman than to Wal-mart for anything non-food anymore, their quality was dived to such awe inspiring depths. I’ll even pay a slight premium to NOT shop at Wal-Mart anymore. Not that this is necessarily the case, even compared to just two or three years ago. Now, you can easily get cheaper prices at the competitors. Rarely will you pay more. Oh, sure, you compare expensive brand names, Wal-Mart is cheaper. But I don’t buy expensive brand names. Almost never have. The idiots are targeting a shrinking middle class. Nice strategy, Einstein. Anyway, it is back to your parents shopping strategy. Comparison shopping, otherwise known as cherry picking.

Cherry picking is only buying the best prices at each store. You are only picking the best deals, ignoring the more expensive items that are the balancing scale the owner used for his sale items. I used to feel bad for doing that myself, feeling it a bit disloyal. If you treat me fairly, you deserve my business. But I simply don’t care anymore, mainly because I see so many stores raping customers. If your regular peanut butter is on sale for a buck fifty, and your non-sale item is twice what anyone else is charging, I don’t mind cherry picking your store. Other stores I give my business to, and only withhold buying a few items that are cheaper elsewhere. You get most of my business, just not all. Family Dollar consistently has high quality and low prices. I give them a lot of my business. Same with Smiths, although some items I never buy as they are outrageous. But, only some, not the majority. They are on balance fair. K-Mart gets all my former non-food Wal-Mart business, even if I’m paying 25% more. It is in the long run cheaper, since the crap doesn’t fall apart quickly.

The trick is to avoid transportation costs that are a hidden subsidy. If you live in the boonies, and every store is spaced wide apart, you can only cherry pick on a general basis, not a weekly bargain hunt. Of course, most areas east of the Mississippi are compact and people friendly ( you can usually make do without a car ). The West is almost car required. And if you live there, you had better have Plan B for the coming oil shortages. Start cherry picking now, needing it financially or not. Pennies add up. It’s just a good habit to get into. Let the corporations work for you, not the other way around ( they already screw you at work, anyway ).

END

Default Down Under Going Up

Down Under Going Up

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013...-going-up.html
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9706#post9706

Please excuse me but every time I read an article at Rawlesí on moving to another country, I feel compelled to yet again argue against it. Forget that for most of us bugging out of King Kenyaís overseas colony is an economic impossibility ( you must possess a handful of in demand skills. For me, Iíd rather earn minimum wage here than try to survive on the $100 a month Iím averaging on my writing somewhere else. Iím not a doctor or engineer, and the last thing the Third World needs is more semi-skilled labor ). Assume you could leave, that you would have money. The simple fact is that you have no idea what your paradise on earth is going to look like in ten or twenty years. It could turn into a real craphole, and the cesspit you had left could be a lot better after it shed its population. Right now it seems that Australia keeps going up in flames from extreme drought, Texas infernos covering half a continent. Hey, if I had my druthers Iíd live there myself. It seems a great place to be. Once youíve left the coastal urban areas, almost nobody is around to bother you. It would be a lot easier to live in a very small town surrounded by nothing over there than it is here.

Gun laws suck over there, although Iíd say no worse than in half our states. My point is that thirty years ago, it was THE place to go for the survivalist on the move. And nobody really saw the kind of environmental disaster going on now, nor probably thought the gun laws could get stupid so quick. Forty years ago, Oregon was THE place to go for the survivalist hoping to avoid sucking in radiation after the Soviet Bear nuked us ( ďTheyíre after our American Way Of Life!Ē ). There was plenty of places to grow your own food with great rainfall. Land prices were affordable. Today, it is a socialist craphole I wouldnít stick your dingus in. Five years ago Elko was a nice small sleepy town of 16k folks. Still too big for my taste but the smallest you can get and still find a job. After gold temporarily jumped up another two thousand screaming asswhores moved in, screwing up traffic for all hours of the day, jacking up rents and introducing big city stupid as a lot of newcomers were dregs from elsewhere ( I have no idea what they were thinking moving here, unless they were so delusional they thought someone would hire them ). It makes me want to move, the only thing stopping me is that in six years, Baby Jesus willing, all the gold reserves will be gone and we can have our implosion and shed the excess parasites. Crap happens everywhere. You might as well stick with the devil you know.

I keep forgetting to tell you but the latest book is available on Kindle ( look over to the right for the graphic ad. If your computer doesnít show them, just go to Amazon and search under my name for all my titles ).

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
    Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you donít leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. For those that canít get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
    Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
    If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
    www.BisonPress.com
    My books on PDF available at
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?k...relevance-desc
    By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

Last edited by Meercat #3; 11-18-2013 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Down Under Going Up

Default Urban Jungle

Urban Jungle

http://jamesmdakin.blogspot.com/2013...an-jungle.html
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...=9786#post9786

Globally, most of us live in cities. Even in third world crap holes ( which will of course quickly include the US, minus warm weather in December ), you go to the city for a job or for food. Centralized agriculture isnít just a force that wiped out American farmers. And now that the whole globe is dependent on natural gas derived fertilizer and long distant grain transportation, of course we are running out those fuels that made that infrastructure possible ( running out of AFFORDABLE fuels ). And you donít replace a centralized system with a decentralized one when you are out of money, out of resources and out of time ( overpopulation ). Urban areas are now way overcrowded. They were overcrowded before Peak Oil in 2005 ( if you discount Unicorn Glitter Fuels from production, we have already gone over to the right of the bell curve ), only sustaining populations on petroleum grains. You canít suddenly go back to smaller cities fed by green belts surrounding the urban area, each self-sustaining. You have the current population eating on unsustainably high per acre yields that canít be reproduced by hand using current demographics. Organics CAN yield much higher than mechanical farming, but only after the soil is reconditioned and kept healthy ( a historic abnormality ). The good news of course is that the long term trend is your friend. People are not going to go in the opposite direction of the money. The cities have the money, money equals food, people move to the city. If you can swim against the current, you win in the end.

Now, Iím not talking Nirvana here. Living in the rural areas has its own set of problems. All Iím saying is that the cities will get more crowded, more dangerous and more expensive. Which means rural land, although NOT prime farm land ( if I wasnít worried about race wars and a second Yankee invasion, Iíd live in the South, restoring worn out land ), in the long term, will be all things being equal, a little less of all those things. Everything will get more expensive and more and more shortages will be the norm, given that urbanites are using their economic mastery to bid for what is left. But they certainly donít want crappy land out of the way. Iím not saying you will be perfectly safe in the country, just safer. And you wonít be able to live like city-folk. That takes too much money ( if you try for the slick magazine way of country life, you are just city type Yuppie scum with a garden and chickens ). Iíd say, devolving from the car driving Wal-Mart shopping American way of life is going to be one of the few doable bright spots on our way towards collapse. Yes, my gloriously loyal minions, here is your once a year optimistic article.

Enjoy it while you can.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
    Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you donít leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. For those that canít get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
    Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
    If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
    www.BisonPress.com
    My books on PDF available at
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?k...relevance-desc
    By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

Meercat #4 is offline A Meercat, not a Meercunt Veteran Member Meercat #4 is on a distinguished road

Default Italian bridge collapse sends cars plunging, killing 26

Italian bridge collapse sends cars plunging, killing 26

COLLEEN BARRY and DANICA KIRKA

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/repor...103103084.html
    http://christian-identity.net/forum/...8616#post18616
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...8616#post18616

MILAN (AP) ó A 51-year-old highway bridge in the Italian port city of Genoa collapsed in a driving rain Tuesday, killing at least 26 people and injuring 15 others as it sent dozens of vehicles tumbling into a heap of concrete and twisted steel.

Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte called it "an immense tragedy ... inconceivable in a modern system like ours, a modern country."

The disaster, on a major interchange connecting Genoa and other northern cities with beaches in eastern Liguria into France, focused attention on Italy's aging infrastructure, particularly its concrete bridges and viaducts built in the postwar boom of the 1950s and 1960s.

What caused the Morandi Bridge to fall remained unknown, and prosecutors said they were opening an investigation but had not identified any targets. Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli said the collapse was "unacceptable" and that if negligence played a role "whoever made a mistake must pay."

Early speculation focused on the structural weakness of the span.

Witnesses reported hearing a roar as the 45-meter (nearly 150-foot) bridge collapsed in a torrential rain during midday traffic on the eve of a major holiday that sees most Italians abandoning cities for beaches and mountains.

One unidentified woman who was standing below told RAI state TV that it crumbled as if it were a mound of baking flour. Video of the collapse, showing a misty scene of crumbled concrete, captured a man screaming: "Oh, God! Oh, God!"

Civil Protection authorities said at least 30 cars and three heavy vehicles were on the 80-meter (260-foot) section of the span that collapsed in the industrial area of warehouses.

There was an immense gap where the bridge used to be, and one heart-stopping image showed a green truck halted on the rain-slickened roadway just short of the edge.

A man who was standing under the bridge in front of his truck at the time of the collapse called it "a miracle" that he survived. The middle-aged man, who did not give his name, said the shockwave sent him flying over 10 meters (33 feet) into a wall, injuring his right shoulder and hip.

"I was in front of the truck and flew away, like everything else. Yes, I think it's a miracle. I don't know what to say. I'm out of words," he said, walking away from the site.

More than 300 rescue workers and canine crews were on the scene. They used heavy equipment and dogs to search for survivors in the rubble. At least four people were pulled alive from vehicles under the bridge, ANSA reported.

"Operations are ongoing to extract people imprisoned below parts of the bridge and twisted metal," said Angelo Borrelli, the head of Italy's civil protection agency.

Officials evacuated several hundred people living along the raised highway that traverses the city as a precaution.

The effort would continue into the night.

"It is a bit like working on an earthquake," said firefighters spokesman Luca Cari. "The main difficulty is removing the rubble and safeguarding the rescue teams."

There was confusion over the death toll throughout the day, with different officials giving conflicting numbers.

Officials in the Liguria region said Tuesday night that 26 people had died, saying two more bodies had been found and one of the 16 injured had died in surgery.

After visiting the scene, Conte told RAI state TV the tragedy was "a serious wound for Genoa, Liguria and Italy."

The Italian CNR civil engineering society said that structures dating from when the Morandi Bridge was built had surpassed their lifespan. It called for a "Marshall Plan" to repair or replace tens of thousands of bridges and viaducts built in the 1950s and 1960s. Updating and reinforcing the bridges would be more expensive than destroying and rebuilding them with technology that could last a century.

They cited previous accidents: a bridge that fell in April 2017 in the northern province of Cuneo, crushing a carabinieri police car after the officers and driver had barely managed to get away in time; and an overpass that in the northern city of Lecco that collapsed under exceptional weight, crushing a car and killing the driver.

The design of the bridge has been criticized in the past. Antonio Brencich, a professor specializing in reinforced concrete construction at the University of Genoa, called the span "a failure of engineering" in an interview in 2016.

"That bridge is wrong. Sooner or later it will have to be replaced. I do not know when. But there will be a time when the cost of maintenance will be higher than a replacement," he told Italian media Primocanale.

Other engineers said corrosion or weather conditions could have contributed.

"As this reinforced and pre-stressed concrete bridge has been there for 50 years, it is possible that corrosion of tendons or reinforcement may be a contributory factor," said Ian Firth, former president of The Institution of Structural Engineers, a London-based international network. He called the bridge "an unusual design."

Mehdi Kashani, an associate professor in structural mechanics at the University of Southampton in the U.K., said maintenance issues and pressure from "dynamic loads," such as traffic and wind, could have resulted in "fatigue damage in bridge components."

Borrelli said highway engineers were checking other parts of the bridge and that some areas were evacuated as a precaution.

"You can see there are very big portions of the bridge (that collapsed). We need to remove all of the rubble to ascertain that all of the people have been reached," he said.

The transport minister, Toninelli, said the company that has the concession to operate that section of highway said its maintenance on the bridge was up to date and no work was being done at the time of the collapse. But he added that they were about to launch a 20 million euro ($22.7 million) bidding process for significant safety work on the bridge.

"There has not been sufficient maintenance and checks, and safety work for many bridges and viaducts and bridges in Italy constructed ó almost all ó during the 1960s," he said.

It was the second deadly disaster on an Italian highway in as many weeks.

On Aug. 6, a tanker truck carrying a highly flammable gas exploded after rear-ending a stopped truck and getting hit from behind near the northern city of Bologna. The accident killed one person, injured dozens and blew apart a section of a raised eight-lane highway.

==========

Itz Fun Being A Witless Meercat!!!

Default Southern California reels from magnitude 7.1 quake

Southern California reels from magnitude 7.1 quake

https://news.yahoo.com/strongest-ear...040709226.html
    http://christian-identity.net/forum/...9983#post19983
    http://whitenationalist.org/forum/sh...9983#post19983

LOS ANGELES (AP) ó A quake with a magnitude of 7.1 jolted much of California, cracking buildings, setting fires, breaking roads and causing several injuries while seismologists warned that large aftershocks were expected to continue for days, if not weeks.

The Friday night quake ó preceded by Thursday's 6.4-magnitude temblor in the Mojave Desert ó was the largest Southern California quake in at least 20 years and was followed by a series of large and small aftershocks, including a few above magnitude 5.0.

There is about a 1-in-10 chance that another 7.0 quake could hit within the next week, said Lucy Jones, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology and a former science adviser at the U.S. Geological Survey.

The chance of a 5.0-magnitude quake "is approaching certainty," she added.

Aftershocks from the new main quake could occur for years, Jones said.

However, the quake was unlikely to affect fault lines outside of the area, she said, noting that the gigantic San Andreas Fault was far away.

The quake struck at 8:19 p.m. and was centered 11 miles (18 kilometers) from Ridgecrest in the same areas where the previous quake hit.

"These earthquakes are related," Jones said, adding that the new quake probably ruptured along about 25 miles (40 kilometers) of fault line and was part of a continuing sequence.

Gov. Gavin Newsom activated the state Office of Emergency Services operations center "to its highest level" and announced he had requested that President Donald Trump issue an emergency declaration so the state could receive federal aid.

The quake was felt as far north as Sacramento, as far east as Las Vegas and as far south as Mexico.

The area in and around Ridgecrest, already trying to recover from the previous temblor, took the brunt of damage. Several thousand people were without power, and there were reports of cracked buildings.

"There are significant reports of structure fires, mostly as a result of gas leaks or gas line breaks throughout the city" and daybreak Saturday could show even more serious damage, said Mark Ghilarducci, director of California Office of Emergency Services.

Local fire and police officials said they were initially swamped by calls for medical and ambulance service. But there was "nothing but minor injuries such as cuts and bruises, by the grace of God," Ridgecrest Police Chief Jed McLaughlin said.

Two building fires ó one involving a mobile home ó were quickly doused, and there were several reports of natural gas leaks, but the lines were shut off, McLaughlin said.

For the second time in as many days, Ridgecrest Regional Hospital wheeled patients out of the building, some still hooked to IVs, CNN reported.

Nearby, the tiny town of Trona, with about 2,000 residents, was reported to have at least one collapsed building. Roads were buckled or blocked, and police put out a call for bottled water for residents.

State Route 178 in Kern County was closed by a rockslide and had severe cracking.

Several homes were knocked off their foundations. Buildings were cracked, but there were only minor injuries, authorities said.

In downtown Los Angeles, 150 miles away, offices in skyscrapers rolled and rocked for at least 30 seconds.

Andrew Lippman, who lives in suburban South Pasadena, was sitting outside and reading the paper when Friday's quake hit and calculated it lasted 45 seconds.

"I could see power lines swaying," he said.

Disneyland in Orange County and Six Flags Magic Mountain in Santa Clarita closed their rides.

An NBA Summer League game in Las Vegas was stopped after the quake. Speakers over the court at the Thomas & Mack Center continued swaying more than 10 minutes after the quake.

In Los Angeles, the quake rattled Dodger Stadium in the fourth inning of the team's game against the San Diego Padres. But the game went on, and the Padres won, 3-2.

"Not many people can say they threw a strike during an earthquake," Eric Lauer, who was on the mound at the time, said later. "My ball, my pitch, started an earthquake."

"Everyone was jumping over us to leave," said Daniel Earle, 52, of Playa del Rey, who was sitting with his wife in the stadium's reserve level. "My wife was holding us, like squeezing. I'm surprised my arm is still here."

Earlier Friday, Los Angeles had revealed plans to lower slightly the threshold for public alerts from its earthquake early warning app. But officials said the change was in the works before the Thursday quake, which gave scientists at the California Institute of Technology's seismology lab 48 seconds of warning but did not trigger a public notification.

"Our goal is to alert people who might experience potentially damaging shaking, not just feel the shaking," said Robert de Groot, a spokesman for the USGS's ShakeAlert system, which is being developed for California, Oregon and Washington.

The West Coast ShakeAlert system has provided non-public earthquake notifications on a daily basis to many test users, including emergency agencies, industries, transportation systems and schools.

Construction of a network of seismic-monitoring stations for the West Coast is just over half complete, with most coverage in Southern California, San Francisco Bay Area and the Seattle-Tacoma area. Eventually, the system will send out alerts over the same system used for Amber Alerts to defined areas that are expected to be affected by a quake, de Groot said.

California is partnering with the federal government to build the statewide earthquake warning system, with the goal of turning it on by June 2021. The state has already spent at least $25 million building it, including installing hundreds of seismic stations throughout the state.

This year, Newsom said the state needed $16.3 million to finish the project, which included money for stations to monitor seismic activity, plus nearly $7 million for "outreach and education." The state Legislature approved the funding last month, and Newsom signed it into law.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3