The Iron Chink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Iron Chink

Automated salmon cleaning machine developed in Seattle in 1903.

The Iron Chink, a machine that guts and cleans salmon for canning, alongside a Chinese fishplant worker (ancestor of Willy Wong?), was marketed as a replacement for Chinese immigrants during the Chinese Exclusion Act

1918 'Iron Chink' Model D : Embodies radical improvements which make this well-known machine a greater labor-saver than ever--more efficient, more economical. The new Sliming Attachments with steel sliming knives...thoroughly clean the fish, and reduce hand sliming to a minimum.

In 1903, Seattle inventor Edmund A. Smith (1878-1909) develops a machine that guts and cleans salmon for canning, 55 times faster than human workers. Most Northwest cannery workers are Chinese immigrants, and Smith, with "unselfconcious racism" in the words of historian Carlos Schwantes, calls his invention the Iron Chink. The innovation increases cannery profits, but forces thousands of people to find other forms of work.

Smith was a small investor in fish canning and brick making ventures who was obsessed about finding a way to automate the cleaning of fish. He worked for months in his Seattle waterfront workshop at the foot of Connecticut Street (renamed South Royal Brougham Way) to find a solution.

In a classic flash of inspiration, he awoke at 3:00 a.m. one day and shouted to his wife that he "had it." He emerged from his workshop 10 days later with a workable design and then borrowed money to go to Washington, D.C. to obtain a patent. Cannery operators were at first skeptical, but the economics were unavoidable. The new device had to be adjusted for different sizes of fish but it could clean 110 fish a minute versus two fish a minute by an experienced worker.

Smith became wealthy and he arranged to display his invention at the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition at the University of Washington. Sadly, he died in an automobile accident on his way to the fair's opening.

Sources:
    Adam Woog, Sexless Oysters and Self-Tipping Hats: 100 Years of Inventions in the Pacific Northwest, (Seattle: Sasquatch Books, 1991), 52-54; Polk's Seattle (King County, Wash.) City Directory, (Seattle: R. L. Polk, 1903), 963; Carlos Schwantes, Columbia River: Gateway to the West (Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho Press, 2000), 47.

By David Wilma, January 01, 2000

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...m&file_id=2109

I wish someone would invent an Iron Mexican.
    Last edited by 6KILLER; 03-31-2010, 11:37 AM.
    I'm Not Nearly Ass Clever ass I Think I Am.

I'm Proud 2 B a Britton-Okie from Muskogee!!!.

Listen to my "Cherokee" mamzer-faggot son call in about how I abandoned my mongrel sons:

http://mamzers.org/useful/audio/TMT/...ayinjunson.mp3

Drunken Tonto Death Threats:

http://mamzers.org/useful/audio/Piss...710-171830.mp3

Originally posted by 6KILLER View Post
    Automated salmon cleaning machine developed in Seattle in 1903.

The Iron Chink, a machine that guts and cleans salmon for canning, alongside a Chinese fishplant worker (ancestor of Willy Wong?), was marketed as a replacement for Chinese immigrants during the Chinese Exclusion Act

1918 'Iron Chink' Model D : Embodies radical improvements which make this well-known machine a greater labor-saver than ever--more efficient, more economical. The new Sliming Attachments with steel sliming knives...thoroughly clean the fish, and reduce hand sliming to a minimum.

In 1903, Seattle inventor Edmund A. Smith (1878-1909) develops a machine that guts and cleans salmon for canning, 55 times faster than human workers. Most Northwest cannery workers are Chinese immigrants, and Smith, with "unselfconcious racism" in the words of historian Carlos Schwantes, calls his invention the Iron Chink. The innovation increases cannery profits, but forces thousands of people to find other forms of work.

Smith was a small investor in fish canning and brick making ventures who was obsessed about finding a way to automate the cleaning of fish. He worked for months in his Seattle waterfront workshop at the foot of Connecticut Street (renamed South Royal Brougham Way) to find a solution.

In a classic flash of inspiration, he awoke at 3:00 a.m. one day and shouted to his wife that he "had it." He emerged from his workshop 10 days later with a workable design and then borrowed money to go to Washington, D.C. to obtain a patent. Cannery operators were at first skeptical, but the economics were unavoidable. The new device had to be adjusted for different sizes of fish but it could clean 110 fish a minute versus two fish a minute by an experienced worker.

Smith became wealthy and he arranged to display his invention at the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition at the University of Washington. Sadly, he died in an automobile accident on his way to the fair's opening.

Sources:
    Adam Woog, Sexless Oysters and Self-Tipping Hats: 100 Years of Inventions in the Pacific Northwest, (Seattle: Sasquatch Books, 1991), 52-54; Polk's Seattle (King County, Wash.) City Directory, (Seattle: R. L. Polk, 1903), 963; Carlos Schwantes, Columbia River: Gateway to the West (Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho Press, 2000), 47.

By David Wilma, January 01, 2000

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...m&file_id=2109

I wish someone would invent an Iron Mexican.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    The difference between then and now is that they would never allow you to introduce the iron mexcrement as it would be a hate crime to take work away from illegal alien scum, no matter what the savings. Maybe the inventor's accident wasn't an accident? Were there jews in 1903? (:

Comment

Working...
    X